Glock Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else see this?

Florida man learns lesson when stolen gun returned with a message | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

He left a loaded gun in his unlocked car in his driveway. Says he thought he locked it. Someone took it, put it and a knife that was in the car in a bag and left them on his doorstep with "LOADED GUN unlocked car = STUPID!!" and on the other side "LOTS of children in area". They didn't return the ammo in that was in the gun.

I'm really torn on this story. On one hand, I absolutely agree that leaving a loaded gun unsecured in an unlocked car is stupid. No question.

On the other hand, someone who knows he keeps a gun in his car (seriously, take the thing in the house at night...) walked into his driveway and tried the door on his car.

For which, if caught, that person will be charged with felony armed burglary. Because there's a gun involved, it's a minimum 10 year sentence.

Which, again, on one hand is 100% correct according to Florida Statutes. On the other hand, they (I presume, based on the note) did this for the good of the neighborhood, and arguably, the good of the "victim". They taught him a lesson and part of me is looking at this as a "no harm, no foul" thing.

To me, this guy's biggest, and first, mistake was in letting it be known that he had a gun in the car and left it there overnight.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Story does not indicate that the owner advertised there was a gun in an unlocked vehicle.

Interesting how the article says the person who moved the gun from the car to the doorstep could face armed burglary charges because the person decided to make the firearm safe by taking the bullets. So now gun safety by good samaritans is a crime.

Owner should be fined for not securing his weapon.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it doesn't say he advertised it, but unless someone is randomly walking the neighborhood checking other people's cars, whoever did it had to know it would likely be there. Whether they took the ammo or not, it still would've been armed burglary, because they entered the vehicle unlawfully and took the gun. If I remember correctly, just the fact that the gun was there during the burglary is sufficient.

If it were me, it would depend on who it was as to what, if anything, they were charged with. At a minimum, a "you really shouldn't do that" charge of trespass or unlawful entry, with a suspended sentence, is where I would be leaning, but only because there were two better ways this could've been handled and the point made. They could've just locked the car and left the same note on the windshield, or walked it to his front door & rang the bell. I think, the way this was done, that it was done by someone who has an issue with guns in general, not just their unsafe storage.

And there is no charge for not securing a weapon. If he'd left his keys in the car, they could've written him a ticket though. Interesting choice in what's illegal...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wait a minute folks, how about some common sense thinking here? NO ONE should leave their gun ANYWHERE.
When I'm home that's where my guns are, but, if I decide to leave I take my CC gun & holster with me by attaching them to my gun belt, period the end.
The bothersome part of the story of course is what someone else was doing in his car. Trust me, there's a lot more to this story.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well I leave guns in my house all the time! I don't carry ALL My Guns with me when I leave the house nor do I lock ALL of them up in a safe when I leave. I also leave my guns locked up in my Hard bags on mybike or my Jeep when I go in a Bank. So the no one should leave there guns anywhere is well I guess you opinion.;)

Wait a minute folks, how about some common sense thinking here? NO ONE should leave their gun ANYWHERE.
When I'm home that's where my guns are, but, if I decide to leave I take my CC gun & holster with me by attaching them to my gun belt, period the end.
The bothersome part of the story of course is what someone else was doing in his car. Trust me, there's a lot more to this story.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I leave guns in my house all the time! I don't carry ALL My Guns with me when I leave the house nor do I lock ALL of them up in a safe when I leave. I also leave my guns locked up in my Hard bags on mybike or my Jeep when I go in a Bank. So the no one should leave there guns anywhere is well I guess you opinion.;)
I guess I'm missing something but you said the exact same thing I did. My guns are in my home except when I leave which is when I take my CC gun with me but the ones at home are locked up tighter than a crabs ass.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They way you phrased it, it came across as no one should leave any guns, anywhere, at any time, including at home. It seemed like you were saying you should take all your guns with you everywhere you go. That's what he was getting at. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts