Florida CC laws, need some advice

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by MarinewithaGlock, Jun 11, 2012.

1. MarinewithaGlock

MarinewithaGlock Premium Member

I'm going on vacation to the Florida Keys and need some help with the conceal carry laws down there. I have a valid KY CCDW license and I know it has reciprocity in FL. I also know that FL only allows OC for a few things such as hunting or fishing. Any help from FL Glock owners would help out a lot. Thanks guys.

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

3. MarinewithaGlock

That's not exactly what I was asking lol. I know my permit is good in Florida. I was just looking for some help with the Florida laws since I'll be there for a week. I don't wanna CC somewhere that I'm not allowed by accident. I also don't want to have it in the wrong place in my car. Information like that is more of what I'm looking for.

4. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Sorry. I didn't realize it was a PDF. I thought it was a link to the website. :eek:
    http://handgunlaw.us/ has a lot of great info on it.

5. MarinewithaGlock

That helped out a lot actually! Seems like as long as I keep it out of sight I should be fine. Makes for a better vacation knowing I don't have to leave the Glock home alone.

6. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Don't forget the traditional places, NO BARS, No place where Liquor is more than 50% of the business, (liquor stores) The basic Government places, Any gathering over 5000 people, And do not brandish your weapon threatning, MANDATORY 3 YEARS!! Judge can't reduce it.

7. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Great! BD and I use that site all the time. I'll put it up on the sticky too. If you have an iPhone, there is a good app called Legal Heat that has good info as well.

8. MarinewithaGlock

I'll look that up! I use my iPhone almost exclusively. That's what I'm on right now haha. I work too much to have time to get on my computer. That's how I got on this forum. I searched Glock in the app store and found this forum. I'm on this forum more than Facebook haha.

9. piken

piken New Member

The any place where liquor is 50% of the business is not correct. You can carry in a liquor store with out issue and you can go into any bar that also serves food as long as the food service is separated from the alcohol service. In FL for places that want to be considered food service + bar they need a separate substrate for the floor in the food service section.

10. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

1.To Protect your self or another from great bodily harm or death
    2.To prevent a forcible felony: Robbery, Kidnapping, Rape, ect
    3.To Protect your self in your dwelling against unauthorized intruders:home/car/business.
    4. YOU CAN NOT use deadly force to protect property, ie- someone stealing a tool from the bed of your truck

Places you cannot carry your gun:

any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
    any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
    any courtroom*
    any polling place
    any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    any school administration building
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    any elementary or secondary school facility
    any area technical center
    any college or university facility*
    inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
    any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law ****ANY FEDERAL BUILDING**** THIS INCLUDES POST OFFICES, THE BUILDINGS AT NATIONAL PARKS. YOU MAY CARRY AT THE PARK, BUT NOT IN THE BUILDINGS. restrictions apply.

1. any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption** Yes you may carry into a restaurant that serves liquor, but you can't sit at the bar, nor can you enter a bar only. You may enter a liquor store only if alcohol is consumed off premisis.

You make the call. Thank you, I was wrong about the liquor stores.

11. MarinewithaGlock

Yea I assumed all of that stuff. That's the same in most states. I was looking for anything in particular to Florida as opposed to Kentucky. When I CC my weapon is never seen unless I need to draw on someone. KY is an OC state though so I do that a lot up here because I don't have to dress around it. Just throw it in my Serpa paddle holster and throw that on my belt and don't have to worry about it. I don't get any strange looks. I OC into Walmart today with two cops sittin out front and walked right past another one and none said anything. After I got back to my truck I forgot something and walked right past two loss prevention workers who didn't say anything either. Gotta love living in a gun friendly state!

12. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Same here in AZ! Stopped in a Quick trip this afternoon and the whole freaking police department was there along with the fire marshal!!! Said howdy, bought my soda, and walked out… Plain and simple, no issues!!!

13. MarinewithaGlock

That's how it oughta be! The officers looked busy so I didn't stop and chat and as I was walking in the 2nd time, loss prevention was stopping a shoplifter so I didn't wanna get in the way. I've never been stopped for OC in Kentucky. You see all the YouTube videos of people getting stopped (most of the time they wanna be d*cks to the cops about it) but I've never run into any trouble. I was working the other day and was dressed up and stopped into Hardee's for lunch and two state troopers stopped to eat too. They noticed my 23 with 2 spare mags. They came up an introduced themselves and assumed I was with the local PD. When I said that I wasnt they asked what dept I worked for and I said I didn't and they said "one of those depts where if you tell us you'll have to kill us" haha. I informed them that I was just OC and they were really cool about it and encouraged me to apply for KSP. I told them I was in the process for Metro and missed the KSP application process by a few weeks because I was in afghan. I said I was working with Aflac and was working almost exclusively with gun stores in the area and that OC usually helped me out by being a great conversation starter. They were cool about it. Never said anything about wanting to see a CCDW or license or anything.
    I dont understand the YouTube guys being rude to cops when stopped by police about OC and not giving them their license or anything. Do they have to? No, but it makes it easier for everyone and expedites your encounter with them. If I was ever stopped, I would be more than cooperative with the officers. It keeps relations with OCers and law enforcement better.
    Sorry for the long post. I got carried away and one thing led to another haha

14. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Could not agree more!

15. MarinewithaGlock

That could be a whole new thread in itself. I might copy and paste most of that into a new thread in a little while.

16. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

OPEN CARRY thread started by Havasu would be a good thread to plop it in!!!

How you planning on traveling?

17. MarinewithaGlock

I'm flying. I posted a thread a few weeks ago for advice on that. I've just gotta get a locking case to store it in. My Glock case doesn't lock so I need to find something else. Hopefully it wont be too big of a hassle.

18. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I was wondering if that was you… too lazy to go look for it… lol

You figure out the ammo question?

19. MarinewithaGlock

Yea it was me. I think I've figured it out. It seems to me that as long as they are in a cardboard box and not loose they are fine. I plan on sticking them back in their original package since I just bought them and still have the box.

20. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Cool... Don't be shocked if your bag gets rummaged through... Mine did last time I went to florida and brought back casings... If you don't trust the TSA, I don't, I would keep a packing list in the bag and on your person... Just in case something goes missing...