First time at range

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by PeacefulWarrior, Mar 16, 2012.

1. PeacefulWarrior

PeacefulWarrior New Member

I am new to the world of handguns. As a matter of fact, the last time I shot anything was about 20 years ago in the military.
    I bought a Glock 19 4th Gen three weeks ago, still trying to get to the range to shoot it for the first time. Living in suburbia stinks! I grew up in rural PA where I could have been shooting in my back yard for the past three weeks.
    I've been practicing the basics with snap caps, reviewing safety over & over, and am ready to go shoot at a range next week. Any pointers, "do's & don'ts," or general/specific advice? There's an outdoor range ($6) and an indoor range ($19/yikes!) - both about 30 minutes away.
    Mostly wondering what to expect from a 9mm. Lots of people have put my choice down, but I think a 9mm is more than sufficient to begin with, no matter the weapons I've handled in the past. Thanks for any pointers, no pun intended!

2. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Ask those people if they would like to be shot with your 9mm if it is such a bad cartridge haha. Some do's: learn your gun and the way it reacts. You don't have to go out and dump your entire mag in 3 seconds the first time you go shooting. Find the point of aim/point of impact on your Glock. Practice different grips, stances and see which one works for you. A couple of don'ts: just don't be obnoxious at the range I guess haha.

3. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Just remember its all about shot placement no matter what the caliber.

4. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

I would talk to the range officer about any specifics. I went for the first time several weeks ago. He gave me some good pointers such as how to place the paper target, don't shoot the clips holding the target, rules around hearing protection and safety glasses, etc.

5. geeteeohh

geeteeohh Member

The range officer even showed me how to properly hold the pistol. I'm pretty much a noobie. Ended up trying out six pistols in 9mm and 40, shot a couple hundred rounds and had a great time!

6. I have a G19, granted mine is a Gen3... Its an amazing gun!!

Low recoil, 15 round magazine and 9MM is not the biggest round but it will do some nasty damage!

Make sure you remember your basics like not flagging anyone with your gun, treat every weapon as if it were loaded. Oh and don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire!

7. PeacefulWarrior

Thanks everyone.., confirmation of things I've been reading & remember from childhood (I used to hunt) & the Army. Finger off trigger is one of the reasons I like Glock so much ... you can't get forgetful because of a safety. Finger off trigger= safe. looking forward to some nice, relaxing time at the range. Shooting too fast won't be an issue at either range - no 'double tapping' or rapid fire allowed.

8. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

That's dumb that it's not allowed....any reason?

9. To my understanding it is so that people don't lose control and miss the back drop. Ever looked up at a range and noticed all the holes every where?

A lot of the ranges here are the same

10. At my local range they also do not allow double tapping, rapid fire or firing from holster. I am sure these are all for safety reasons...

11. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

Same with CA ranges. That is why unless I am zeroing a weapon I usually go to a range without a range master to practice techniques.

12. PeacefulWarrior

All the reasons above... and I omitted, no holsters even allowed on range, so obviously no drawing either. My understanding is that the outside range has one or two control freaks there... but I read that on a forum & will see for myself. I bought some ammo today & talked to someone there - he did say there's very ‘tight control’ at the outdoor range. Fine with me, I'm 42 & have a family - don't need the guy next to me pretending he's under attack by zombies & shooting across lanes and at me. I've seen enough of that in my younger years...

13. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

You do get weirdos and crazies out there in a rangemasterless range... that is why I go in the morning while they are sleeping off their hangover.

14. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

We have all been in your shoes at one point. The most important thing is being smart with your firearm. Keep the muzzle pointed down range and finger off the trigger until you are pointed at your target and ready to squeeze a round off. Also treat your firearm as though it is loaded at all times. At all the ranges I have been to you can only remove the firearm from the case at the firing line, this is to prevent all others from being swept by your muzzle and ****ting their pants. You should learn the general range rules when you pay for your lane ie. no rapid fire, case and uncase at the firing lane, ect... Also when at an indoor range I like to take the lane furthest to the left. I had one schmuck belly up to the table rest at his lane, arm extended all the way out past the lane partitions and all his casings were ejecting into my lane all over me. One ended up landing on my neck and burnt the piss out of it. Make sure you aren't "that guy"

15. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

Before I go to a new range, I call them and ask what their preference is on carrying loaded and holstered into the store and on the range. Every one of them, here in TN, have told me that coming in holstered is fine as long as I have a carry permit. Which I do. I can't overemphasis the safety rules. Esp. the muzzle down range at all times. Nothing makes a shooter more nervous than having his neighbor point that weapon all over the place. That, and the guy showing off for his girlfriend first time she's ever been shooting. I usually take the lane furthest to the right. Being 6'5", my brass seems to always clear the top of the partition at one range I go to. Partition stops about a foot from the ceiling, so I might be THAT guy that unit44 was talking about. Sorry about the brass burn! :eek::)

16. Glocked

Glocked New Member

I just read this post and I laughed until tears were coming out of my eyes!! My wife asked what was wrong with me out of concern.

Now I have an image in my head of some "new to guns, over zealous" guy at the range after watching The Walking Dead.

17. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Haha 6'5" is an understandable problem.

18. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Moved thread to range reports...

19. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

My local gun range allows CC, but not OC which I support, at least with CC we know you've had a safety class. Must the guys at this shop are Spec Ops guys, so I'd want them drawing down on bad guys in there over Joe Shmoe. They do allow double taps but if you start getting off target you will lost that privilege. Also they do allow holster drawing, but only AFTER an RO clears you for it. I love my range, smart guys, eager to help and the only thing I can't do is OC.

20. PeacefulWarrior

All good advice. Of course, I did something to my elbow and have a pain I've NEVER had there before! I'm trying to do 'nothing' today so hopefully I can get there tomorrow. Tired of waiting, but staying calm. I'm not going to be the guy shooting at imaginary zombies or pretending I'm Gunny Sergeant Highway leading my Marines up Heartbreak Ridge! I'll be taking my time, using this first time more to learn my 19 and see where I place rounds initially & get the basics engrained into memory... (trigger squeeze, safety issues). Last time I shot a new weapon, it was the late 80's & I had a DS screaming at us all at Ft. McClellan, AL!