first malfunction today

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by bubba2001, May 26, 2012.

1. bubba2001

bubba2001 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was using the ole reliable g17 in a uspsa competition and had my first malfunction today but what made it bad was my son was shooting my 19 and had a malfunction on the same target. So im thinking it was shooter error since it was right after a mandatory reload and im thinkin (also suggested by a fellow shooter)both of us failed to seat the mag properly. Needless to say i got it from a couple of the non glock shooters about my glock "perfection". I now know i need to practice clearing malfunctions because i have never experienced one i didnt clear it in a timely manner. But over all it was a great day

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  2. I'm betting it is more likely that it was the ammunition (since i bet it came from the same box) than lack of seat. Possible a combination of bad ammo on one, limp wrist on the other. Or limp wrist on one, bad mag seat on the other.

Either way it wasn't the gun ;)

3. Good point on the need to practice malfunction drills. I load mags at home before I go to the range and I always randomly load snap caps in the mags. Helps a lot.

4. now that is a brilliant idea

5. bubba2001

never even crossed my mind that it was the gun as i have put over 10000 rds through it without a hitch
    ammo was same brand but different bxs
    reason i think it was mag seating was because it was right after mag change on both of them

6. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Specifically, what malfunction did you have and what corrected it?

7. Either way its a good excuse to practice mag drills!

8. Randomly loading snap caps or dead dummy rounds is the best way to train. It's a hard habit to break of wanting to stop and look at the gun when something does happen.....SLAP that mag RACK another and roll on, do not hesitate. Figure out the malfunction later.

9. bubba2001

stovepipe then the next rd didnt feed properly and jammed up so in both cases we both ended up droppin the mag and puttin new one in

10. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Interesting. On two reload drills during a course I took I didn't seat the magazines properly and they fell out when I pulled the trigger (there was a round still in the chamber when I changed mags both times).

The only time I have ever had a stove pipe with a Glock was a limp wristed shot.

11. bubba2001

Could very well of been limp wristing.The point of my post was to point out my lack of clearing a malfunction(for whatever reason) in a timely manner.At no time did i think it was anything other than shooter error. Same target (after mag change) on both guns just made me think it could be seating of the mag. With that being said i will not rule anything out and limp wristing could of been the problem.I got a couple videos up(video section on this forum) if you would like to look at my grip and i would welcome all the advice on improving my shooting.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  12. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Oh, I wouldn't dismiss a magazine issue out of hand. It is strange that you both had the same malfunction though. But I am not an instructor and didn't see anything in the videos that looked problematic. If you know which magazine it was that you had the problem with you might want to set it aside for some testing at the range.

13. EvilD

EvilD New Member

I doubt it was the mag, if it wasn't seated the next round wouldn't probably not of been pulled out of it, sounds more like a lw.

14. bubba2001

you're prob right