First IDPA match

Discussion in 'GSSF / IDPA / Competition' started by Webphisher, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Not sure on scoring yet, as I just got back from shooting, but what a blast it was. Apparently I did well from what I was told though. In this video I got extra credit for style points.

https://www.glockforum.com/video/idpa-33.html

If you missed it, on the first target I actually took the head off in one shot lol.

2. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Man that looks fun!! One day I'll get up the courage to do it myself.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

IDPA is FUN!

Done it a coupla times already, and my daughter has done it once! IT'S A BLAST!!!!!

4. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

IDPA is addicting and infectious. The more I see and do of it, the more I want to do more of it!

Nice shooting in your video. Double no-shoot swingers?! I kept wanting to yell "Get down (you stupid no-shoots)!" : D

And yeah, your first target is most definitely neutralized. Down zero!

5. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

At about 3 -5 secs of video you had your muzzle pointed way up over the berm and it looks like close to breaking the 180 rule (might be the camera angle though). Try approaching cover farther away and you won't have to crowd cover causing this to happen. Also makes slicing easier.

Shoot safe! Have fun.

6. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Looks like fun. When it cools down I need to try this.

7. Webphisher

So got results back, placed 21rst out of 49 in my division. Considering I've not shot laying down or while moving I'm pretty damn happy with these results :D

8. Webphisher

Did some number crunching, and if I look at just overall scores including people with enhanced guns, I run stock, I was 39 out 109 for my first match. Not too shabby :D

9. Djstudter702

Djstudter702 Dj Studter

Here's a video of my first IDPA Match. Didn't do to great, but learned a few things and had a blast.
    [ame]http://youtu.be/iRr015RQH_Q[/ame]

10. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Very nice! Are you using your duty setup? I'm wondering why no cover garment was required.

11. Blades

Blades Senior Member

I shot my first IDPA Saturday. Very exciting and frustrating at the same time. :D

12. Djstudter702

Djstudter702 Dj Studter

I used my edc set up. Don't have no cc holster yet.

13. Webphisher

They were doing revolutionary war scenarios so I'm guessing thats why no cover up was used, apparently they normally do at this club. I was actually not using my CCW setup. I just gotten my G34 and the new holster so I wanted to try those out. I'm thinking though that I'm going to start using my G19 and my IWB, as my friend put it, IDPA is a great way to practice CCW firing. The G34 will then move more towards IPSC or USPSA and of course GSSF.

14. Angry_Dave

Angry_Dave is being censored

I just shot my first idpa a few months back.. I used my everyday setup a Glock 19 under a tshirt, I got alot of compliments from alot of seasoned shooters because I pulled my shirt up and drew from a king tuk iwb holster, my theory is if your going to run a idpa event and wear one of those "shooting vests" you better wear your "vest" all the time. I didnt like how I saw all these people thowing this flimsy vest out of the way all while im thinking to myself, thats not what you wear all day every day. I guess my point is if your going to do idpa for nothing but the sport whatever, but it is a great way to enhance your performance under stress and tell you if your every day carry gear is up to snuff or if you can even manage it, I saw a guy, a very nice respectable man in his 40's out there using a blackhawk holster and he couldnt manage to activate the index finger release, I talked to him afterwards and said hey man i know your bummed out but you just found something out now that cost you a few seconds on your score , not out on the street where it really counts.

Just some food for thought

Cheers, Dave

15. Texmos

Texmos Glock, Victorinox, Maxpedition. Repeat.

Looks like fun. I've been thinking of getting into this myself here in central TX.

16. teksid

teksid Well-Known Member

I shot my first one a couple weeks back and came in nineth out of 28 people in SSP.I had two PE's (procedural error) .I didn't have any FN's(failure to neutralize) or NT's(hit's on non threat targets) though.I can't wait till next month though.I think I can impprove a lot.

17. Blades

Blades Senior Member

I saw a lot of "shoot me vest" at my first IDPA also. I guess everyone wears it all the time, no telling. I wore my t-shirt, and an open "button up" shirt. It is what I try to wear every day.

Do it at least once, just to test your carry set-up.

9 out of 28!? Wow, great job.

18. Texas Tactical puts on some fun matches in San Antonio and Austin three weekends per month:

http://www.texastactical.net/

19. James Yeager, who is a controversial guy, wrote a pretty good article on IDPA. http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/233

I'm not a gamer. I wear my CC Crossbreed holster, 1 mag pouch, and shoot either my 23 or 26. I wear the same type of clothes at matches that I wear daily, typically a tucked teeshirt and an untucked, buttoned down short sleeve.

Just how I do it. Nothing fancy. Its a lot of fun.