Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, on June 26th I will be attending my first IDPA match shooting in the SSP division. Id like to get some clarification from anyone if possible. I will be using my G22. I know that the G34 comes with extended mag releases and extended slide stop. I as I understand it i can have factory installed glock extended mag release and slide stop. Can anyone verify this. And as far as internal work goes. What ,under ssp guidelines, would yall recommend for internal work.
Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gun mods that are allowed by class in IDPA are well outlined in their rules.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can help with USPSA but not IDPA. Sorry. Regarding your first competition, go with an open mind. Watch the experienced shooters. Ask questions. Listen to feedback. #1 be safe! Hate to break it to so soon, but you are not going to win your first match.;)

Go with the mindset of having fun and learning.
Oh, I definitely don't expect to win:D. I just want to have fun and learn for now....and be safe of course!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gun mods that are allowed by class in IDPA are well outlined in their rules.

Actually, it isn't that well outlined, or should I say as specific, to the question I asked. I know that I can have an extended mag release and extended slide stop. My question is do they have to be Glock brand. I currently have aftermarket ones that are the same as what comes one the G34, the difference being mine are Vickers and not Glock.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
You must use OEM Glock parts to remain in SSP Division per 8.2.1.2

C. Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that are available installed only from a factory custom shop are not eligible in SSP.

However, you can run your Vickers parts but that will put you in ESP Division. Since this is your first ever match, that hardly matters at all. Lets assume you have a good holster, like a BladeTech Black Ice (and not a Uncle Mikes Nylon gun holder) and a good gun belt, like a Wilderness Tactical Original Instructors belt (not a Wally World plastic belt) and 2 good mag pouches, like BladeTech or CompTac, not a fit all Nylon,
\
then your biggest drawback will be shooting Major in a Minor scoring division. all factory 40S&W ammo is well above the Major floor (165), so you will have far more recoil to manage than guys running Minor in ESP/SSP. That means more recovery time shot to shot. Most shooters hand load to match the power floor, 125 is Minor. Guys that do run 40S&W usually load 165's down to about 800fps to get right at Minor.

Other modifications, either SSP or ESP, are usually just better sights, like Heinies, Taran Tactical, Warran Tactical. Night sights are of no advantage in competition, nor are 3 dot sights. I am old school and run black on black, but alot of guys like a fiber optic front. You can have trigger work done on OEM parts in SSP, but can use aftermarket triggers in ESP.

Try to remember what all your hits felt like. Far better to go down all zero than go wild an not remember where anything went. It's just a game, points by time, so relax and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
Kyle, remember that shooting is 99% the shooter, and 1% gun and gear. The fundamentals are far, far more important than any aftermarket gizmo. Stance, grip, sight picture, trigger control followed by transitions and movement. If you find you like IDPA competition after a couple dozen matches, then take shooting lessons from a local Master. By that time you will have decided if the Glock is the right platform for you, or maybe move on to a CZ or SIG....

The only changes I made for IDPA SSP Division on a G17, is Heinie wide cut rear black on black sights, G21 mag button (extended on small frame Glocks), a 3.5 lb connector, QwikGrip sleeve and 300,000 rounds downrange.....

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
if you shoot enough will eventually happen, but you don’t want it to be in the first match.
No, many of us have been playing gun games since the late 60's, some 3,500 plus matches, and never DQ'd, even though I have fallen several times while moving, crashed into barricades, fell out of a helicopter mock up with a rifle, blew up 2 hand guns. In every instance I maintained complete control of the weapon. Safe muzzle direction is first, stitches come later.
If you believe the "You will DQ if you shoot long enough" you probably will. The right mojo is "I will never DQ because I will maintain control of my weapon at all times regardless of what happens to me"

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
I ran the Apple Valley IDPA club from March of 98 to June 05. Put on 2 State matches and a regional, shot over 200 matches during then, including all the CA, NZ and AZ states. Probably averaged 2-3 DQ's a match (once a month) and at least that at the 3 other clubs I used to go to. Most were not newbies, but old guys that thought they knew better, usually for sweeping. Had to ban a few from the club. Had 2 self inflected gun shots in that time frame, one guy loading a H&K de-cocker and had his finger on the trigger, took a bullet thru the hand, another guy shot himself in the leg on the draw. Not everyone should be allowed to handle a weapon.

However IDPA was really only a diversion for me as I was regularly shooting Coopers combat matches, then SWCPL, then IPSC, Solder of Fortune, USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3 gun. During that time frame I have witnessed 3 deaths and several self inflected wounds. That is why muzzle direction is so damn important. A DQ is like a bee sting compared someone getting dead.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.