Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and also new to hand guns. I grew up shooting everything from black powder pistols to double barrel shotguns with my grandpa. Once he passed I kind of lost interest. That's been almost 10 years now and I think I'm ready to get back into it for several different reasons. I'm married now and feel it is my responsibility to take care of my wife. Their are far too many crazy people out there and I would like something that I could keep with me at all times. The other main reason is to remind me of all the great times I had shooting and going to gun shows with my grandpa.

So basically I'm looking for something I can carry. I was thinking either the G26 or G27, but the G19 and G23 aren't much bigger. Would they make a good edc? I live in Florida so shorts and a t-shirt are an almost everyday thing. Although I do wear a lot of sports jerseys that can be thicker and would probably do a decent job of concealing.

Please help. I plan on making my purchase next week. I have more experience with a 9mm but I've heard a lot of people love a .40.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Welcome to the Forum ndfan239! I have a G26 and a G19 and have shot a G27 and G23. It's really a matter of personal preference. If you have a range that rents handguns close by, my suggestion is to shoot them all before you buy and decide which you like better. I can conceal either my 26 or 19 with no problems. I hope you enjoy the community here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GAgal said:
Welcome to the Forum ndfan239! I have a G26 and a G19 and have shot a G27 and G23. It's really a matter of personal preference. If you have a range that rents handguns close by, my suggestion is to shoot them all before you buy and decide which you like better. I can conceal either my 26 or 19 with no problems. I hope you enjoy the community here.
I do have a range with rentals and I will probably check them out this weekend. Does the G19 print at all? It doesn't look much bigger at all. I just haven't thrown it in a holster and tried it out.

Thanks for the response!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Welcome to the forum ndfan!! I carry a 23 IWB every day it really is no problem to me. Enjoy the forum!!
 

·
Glockn Rollin
Joined
·
2,656 Posts
What GAgal said. I shot both a 19 and 23. Something about the 23 stuck out to me, and I bought it. The recoil was not too much worse than a 9mm and I get a bigger bullet. It is what works for me. I chose the 23 because it has a 13-round capacity, and it is still concealable even with shorts and a t-shirt.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I haven't had any problems with it. Printing is usually a matter of how you are dressed when you carry. I'm not as familiar with FL gun laws as I am GA's but we can open carry so printing really isn't a big issue. My hubs has the G27 with an extension which makes the grip about the same size as the G19 grip and most people never realize he's carrying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the bigger sized gun. I'll have to go shoot this weekend to figure out which caliber I prefer. Like I said I have shot 9mm a lot. I have almost no experience with a .40, but I look forward to checking it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
I carry a 19 and in my opinion it is easy to conceal and it does not print. The 26 is a little smaller than the 19 but to me it is not a big enough difference to give up my 19.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,787 Posts
Welcome NDfan.

Noticed you mentioned that part of your responsibility was to protect your wife.

It would be a great idea to get her involved and get her trained. You're not going to be around all the time and one of the best ways of being responsible is facilitating her getting trained and being able to defend herself when you're not around.

Just a thought.
D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dwcfastrice said:
Welcome NDfan.

Noticed you mentioned that part of your responsibility was to protect your wife.

It would be a great idea to get her involved and get her trained. You're not going to be around all the time and one of the best ways of being responsible is facilitating her getting trained and being able to defend herself when you're not around.

Just a thought.
D
Yeah I'm slowly working on that. We went to the range last weekend and she wouldn't shoot. She's never shot a gun and I think they scare her. I figured if I started her out shooting a .22 and she actually saw how fun it was, maybe she wouldn't be scared. Until then it's pepper spray and a good knife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
When I bought my first gun the compact Glocks weren't out yet. I bought a G17 and close to 20 years later it's still my home defense gun. When got my CHL I purchased a G26 when they first came out with the sub-compacts. I always thought the best all around handgun is the G19. It fits well in my hand and is the perfect size for an all-around gun. I think the compact is a good choice. As far as the wife goes, be sure and store your gun in a manner she feels safe. She will get more comfortable as she sees you are responsible. BTW, Welcome.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,787 Posts
Yeah I'm slowly working on that. We went to the range last weekend and she wouldn't shoot. She's never shot a gun and I think they scare her. I figured if I started her out shooting a .22 and she actually saw how fun it was, maybe she wouldn't be scared. Until then it's pepper spray and a good knife.
If they offer it in your area, the NRA First Steps is a good "neutral" way to introduce someone to pistols. It's going to be harder coming from you since there is "emotional pressure", even though you may not be applying it.


ON a side note- Nice avatar. Don't like the new uni's at all, but still kind of cool in their own way.

d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FAS1 said:
When I bought my first gun the compact Glocks weren't out yet. I bought a G17 and close to 20 years later it's still my home defense gun. When got my CHL I purchased a G26 when they first came out with the sub-compacts. I always thought the best all around handgun is the G19. It fits well in my hand and is the perfect size for an all-around gun. I think the compact is a good choice. As far as the wife goes, be sure and store your gun in a manner she feels safe. She will get more comfortable as she sees you are responsible. BTW, Welcome.
Thanks. I have a lock box that fits perfectly in my nightstand drawer that I will keep it in. I know she will eventually get used to it an hopefully find some interest in it. She has also agreed to take a ladies course at our local range. I think that might help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dwcfastrice said:
If they offer it in your area, the NRA First Steps is a good "neutral" way to introduce someone to pistols. It's going to be harder coming from you since there is "emotional pressure", even though you may not be applying it.

ON a side note- Nice avatar. Don't like the new uni's at all, but still kind of cool in their own way.

d
Yeah I thought the same thing. It's always easier to have somebody you don't know explain something to you. I remember getting homework help from my parents and how tough that was. Once they hired a tutor I had no problems at all.

I don't know how I feel about the new uni's. I think they're okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bigdaddy60 said:
Ndfan welcome!! The 9 mm ammo is less expensive around here so that's what I carry. Mine is a 1st gen 17 though
Yeah I hadn't really thought about ammo prices. I think 9mm is less expensive here too. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
I live in FL too so I have the same weather limitations. I chose a glock 19 gen 4. Quality gun easy to conceal. Ammo is cheap so you can practice enough. And I have had 0 failures out of 1,200 rounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
spencer17 said:
I live in FL too so I have the same weather limitations. I chose a glock 19 gen 4. Quality gun easy to conceal. Ammo is cheap so you can practice enough. And I have had 0 failures out of 1,200 rounds.
Good to know. I wanted something a little bigger then the subcompacts, but didn't want something that was too big to conceal. Thanks for the info.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top