Glock Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My girlfriend's father just gave me a (edit) 3rd gen Glock 27 for my birthday (he is beyond generous). We go shooting and talk guns often so he knew I had my eye on this one. I wanted the .40 as a good middle ground for capacity and stopping power and the sub compact model because this will be my first CCW.

Although I have large hands I find it fits comfortably keeping in mind that this isn't a full size gun. One of the magazines already has a Pierce +0 pinky extension and I may decide to buy the 13 round magazine and a grip extension to see if it's still comfortable for carry.

I'm looking at IWB holsters now (the MIC had also caught my eye) and other fun stuff. The magazine release is difficult to fully depress without adjusting my grip but then again I'm weary to install an extended release as I've heard some can cause it to deploy on accident so for now I'll keep practicing with it stock.

Any must do pointers for a new Glock owner? I look forward to spending time over here with you all.

·
just wants to watch the world burn.
1,021 Posts
Welcome brian! You will enjoy it here. Any question you have someone will have an answer. Pointers- take a training class. And get to rang as much as you can. Plenty of threads on here for diff ways to customize your gun. And have fun!.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Nice 27, great gift too, lucky dog. The stock mag release works fine for most of us, I have an Extended Slide Stop on mine, but I'm old school, MikeP here on the Forum makes a nice holster product. The only advice I have is Shoot It, then Shoot It some more. Enjoy

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
My girlfriend's father just gave me a 4th gen Glock 27 for my birthday (he is beyond generous). We go shooting and talk guns often so he knew I had my eye on this one. I wanted the. 40 as a good middle ground for capacity and stopping power and the sub compact model because this will be my first CCW.

Although I have large hands I find it fits comfortably keeping in mind that this isn't a full size gun. One of the magazines already has a Pierce +0 pinky extension and I may decide to buy the 13 round magazine and a grip extension to see if it's still comfortable for carry.

I'm looking at IWB holsters now (the MIC had also caught my eye) and other fun stuff. The magazine release is difficult to fully depress without adjusting my grip but then again I'm weary to install an extended release as I've heard some can cause it to deploy on accident so for now I'll keep practicing with it stock.

Any must do pointers for a new Glock owner? I look forward to spending time over here with you all.
Congratulations!! Did you say it is a Gen4 or a family 4th. generation gun?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
dutchs said:
Congratulations!! Did you say it is a Gen4 or a family 4th. generation gun?
It's a Generation 4, and thank you all. I've been a member here for some time, I came over from Jeepforum (which I believe to be a sister forum of some sort) but now I have reason to be active on here and while I'm not new to firearms I'm sure there's tons to learn.

Also, I ordered a Pelican 1170 case for it. I actually already have one I carry my phone, wallet, keys in when out on a boat or the like but it happens to be a great fit for a handgun and a few mags also. It's cheap lockable "bulletproof" storage.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
It's a Generation 4, and thank you all. I've been a member here for some time, I came over from Jeepforum (which I believe to be a sister forum of some sort) but now I have reason to be active on here and while I'm not new to firearms I'm sure there's tons to learn.
Sorry Brian, It would say GEN4 on that side if it was a gen 4 Like this!

Rectangle Wood Font Eyewear Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Brian, welcome to the Glock Forum!
Nice 27! I hope you enjoy shooting it! That grip extension is worth it!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Welcome. Not new to guns but new to Glocks so I would suggest you spend a lot of time dry firing. Glock triggers take some getting used to! Again welcome to the forum and welcome to the addiction they call GLOCK!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes, your Glock is a Gen 3 as previously stated, but either way it's a win win because it's a Glock! And you won't have any problems with an extended mag release. I've never had a problem with engaging and dropping the mag while it's been holstered or otherwise unless I am the one pressing the release. Glock has factory extended mag releases for dirt cheap online.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Brian, It would say GEN4 on that side if it was a gen 4 Like this!

View attachment 16454
I actually just was looking through pictures on here and noticed that.... So yes, it in a Gen 3 then because it does not have the etching, interchangeable backstrap, serial begins LAX which was April 2007 and it came with two mags. However, my girlfriend's father who gave it to me thought it was a Gen 4 and I have a dual recoil spring assembly which I thought was one of the changes in the new generation, or did Gen 3 27s also have the dual spring?

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I actually just was looking through pictures on here and noticed that.... So yes, it in a Gen 3 then because it does not have the etching, interchangeable backstrap, serial begins LAX which was April 2007 and it came with two mags. However, my girlfriend's father who gave it to me thought it was a Gen 4 and I have a dual recoil spring assembly which I thought was one of the changes in the new generation, or did Gen 3 27s also have the dual spring?
That is an upgraded Gen4 spring! That's great! And the Gen3 is an excellent firearm! You are a very lucky man!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
The Gen 3 subcompacts had dual recoil springs, only Gen 3 model to have them I believe.
Very interesting! I learn something here everyday! Thanks Chilly!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Very nice gift Brian! Glad you are here. The G27 is my hubs EDC and the G26 is mine. You are going to love it. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Hi and welcome, Brian, and congrats on your first Glock!

Definately second the suggestion - get yourself to a good CCW class in your area, even if your state doens't require it in order to get a CCW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts