Glock Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I purchased my first Glock last week. I bought a G19 Gen5 MOS. Took it to the range Friday and immediately noticed heavy black residue down one side of the brass. I've not seen that before on any of my other guns and don't know what to make of it. Doesn't seem quite right to me.

I put somewhere between 140 - 180 rounds through the gun that day with no misfires, stovepipes, or FTE's. However, I did see what appears to be excess wear when I got home and cleaned it.

Barrel Bottom:

Barrel Side:

Barrel Top:

I have to admit to being concerned by the blowby and the wear I'm seeing after so few rounds. I sent an email to Glock asking for their review of what I'm seeing.

Otherwise, I like how it shoots.

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
So, I purchased my first Glock last week. I bought a G19 Gen5 MOS. Took it to the range Friday and immediately noticed heavy black residue down one side of the brass. I've not seen that before on any of my other guns and don't know what to make of it. Doesn't seem quite right to me.

I put somewhere between 140 - 180 rounds through the gun that day with no misfires, stovepipes, or FTE's. However, I did see what appears to be excess wear when I got home and cleaned it.

Barrel Bottom:
View attachment 249106

Barrel Side:
View attachment 249107

Barrel Top:
View attachment 249108

I have to admit to being concerned by the blowby and the wear I'm seeing after so few rounds. I sent an email to Glock asking for their review of what I'm seeing.

Otherwise, I like how it shoots.
It’s common on the gen.5 glocks. It is nothing to worry about. I’m not sure if the tolerances are tighter or it’s the finish they use, but the metal is treated. I remember buying new sigs, & putting a couple mags though them & the finish almost being gone off the barrel hood.

·
Legitimate Combatant
4,394 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Barrel marks most likely normal.
All mine have acquired similar marks.

Residue on the brass is hard to say without pics.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Normal in gen5s. Keep having fun, take good care of the gun and it will take good care of you for a long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fair enough, thanks. I'll try to get a pic of the brass next time I go. Didn't think about it at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
immediately noticed heavy black residue down one side of the brass. I've not seen that before on any of my other guns and don't know what to make of it.

That's blow by caused by the ammo, not the gun. More likely to see on plated bullets with very low powder charges. What ammo did you use? And if handloads, what bullets, powder and charge weight?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
immediately noticed heavy black residue down one side of the brass. I've not seen that before on any of my other guns and don't know what to make of it.

That's blow by caused by the ammo, not the gun. More likely to see on plated bullets with very low powder charges. What ammo did you use? And if handloads, what bullets, powder and charge weight?
I believe it's Winchester 115gr. FMJ purchased at Bi-Mart back when you could get 500-rounds for about $90. There may be some Blaser Brass mixed in as well.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
New in the box WIN would not contain Blazer brass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course not. However, it is possible for me to have mixed the two if I had a small amount of Blaser Brass leftover into my 9mm ammo box. While I can't speak authoritatively regarding any ammunition quality, my point is that my range ammo is of seemingly appropriate quality. I could be mistaken, of course.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts