First Glock: Which replacement parts are a must have...

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Chukar, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Chukar

Chukar New Member

Just picked up my first Glock (G23), and I'm trying to come up with the parts/items that I should have before I get the things I'd like to have. Which replacement parts would you always have in your range bag?

Thanks!

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum Chukar !!

Geez...I dunno. Glocks are downright durable...

Only parts I ever buy are mags and ammo...

3. I second that!!!

Bore snake goes in my range bag as well. Never ever needed anything else. Except more ammo if I ran out.:D

4. g21redman

g21redman just wants to watch the world burn.

more bullets. that's it. haha.

5. Boracay

Boracay ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o

Glocks hardly fail. 1 in 100,000 maybe? :confused:

[​IMG]

6. DDPG17

DDPG17 New Member

Maine
    I agree with the others, just more ammo is all that's needed really. And I need some more for this weekend!

7. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

With any new gun run it for a while before trying to do mods. Once you know it is a good running gun, it is a Glock, then night sights are a must for me, just my preference. More ammo, more ammo and again more ammo. A lot of guys will add the extended slide catch(not a slid release here) or the extended mag release, just not my thing. A little color on the slide is always nice to add that personal touch. Grip tape, or stippling if you have a problem holding onto it.

I have had my G22 for several years and the only thing I have done to it is paint the slide, add night sights, buy more mags, feed it all of the ammo I can afford to give it. I did buy a good cleaning kit(I'm anal about my guns being clean) and a nice range bag and hearing protection.

8. fls348

fls348 New Member

Not sure if you mean spare parts or replacement parts, as in upgrades?

If you mean upgrades.......extended slide release in my opinion is a must have. Everyone else will chime in for sure, but when it comes down to it I really think it's the one item Glocks should come with straight from the factory.

All the bells and whistles aside that would be my recommendation as a "need to have" item.

9. First things I do to ALL my Glocks...

All springs except the slide spring, extended slide release, slide stop, and mag release. I like having extra springs... it seems if something is going to fail... itll be a spring.

Competition trigger down to 2.5#... like squeezing butter with a loud bang at the end.

10. Chukar

Chukar New Member

Thanks all for the info and warm welcome. Good to know not many parts failures out there. In my mind, getting the backup parts should they for some reason become unavailable and or the itty-bitty pieces that I seem to find a way to find flying from my hand to the carpet was the motivation. Only mod I'm considering is an upgrade to night sights and possibly a conversion barrel. All my other $$$ is going to mags, ammo and maybe a defensive pistol course.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  11. StevenRoberts73

StevenRoberts73 New Member

Recoil spring assembly for your range bag.

12. Hamster

Hamster New Member

If you bought it new.................IF anything were to fail, it'll most likely be several years and many thousands of rounds down the road. If you bought it used, you still may never have any problems.
    They'll eat pretty much anything you feed them but, my G19 didn't like steel cased ammo. With brass cases though, it would eat FMJ's and HP's equally well regardless of if they were new or reloads.

13. The only replacement parts you need right now is ammo and mags. Get lots of each. When you get more comfortable with it and really proficient with it then start replacing stuff. In factory trim they will last a long time and put up with a ton of abuse. :D

If your just looking for factory parts in case something magically happens. Maybe springs/guide rod. Mine was stock for 5 years and had 8,000 rounds put through it. Dropped in the mud, snow, water, tossed around and beat on and never failed. Heck it was even shot with simunitions once.

14. rimshaker

rimshaker New Member

Having the Glock tool would be handy for future tinkering. And a spare recoil spring assembly. Both inexpensive under $10.

15. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

some help

As a long time Glock shooter and LE, I can say they last and are great weapons. However there are a few things you can do right off the bat...

1) buy a set of extra springs (recoil, firing pin, safety plunger) and an extra slide stop (the thin wire spring on this sometimes breaks and they don't sell just the spring). For no other reason than a military adage I was taught while in the military: "2 is 1, and 1 is none"...always have a backup.

2) Better sights. The Glock sights are OK and can be good for first time shooters. But they are Polymer and the front sight can break off (have seen this happen). Get a good set of Iron sights. If you want home defense i'd suggest either Meprolight Tru-Dot's (they have the largest/brightest night sights with white rings for daytime shooting) or Trijicon's. If you want competition I can suggest a Fiber Optic front sight (Dawson's are great). If you get Fiber optic, the thinner (.090 or .100) work great for precision shooting (can see more of the target). I've tried the thinner and standard (.125) and the standard covers more of the target.

That's about it for now. As time goes on and you learn the Glock trigger you can play with fire control parts (triggers, trigger springs, polishing, pre-travel & over-travel adjustable ejector housings, etc.) if you wish.

Z-