Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a glock forum but I am throwing this out there anyway for feedback. What would you recommend for a good first pistol in 9mm caliber? Primarily home defense with potential for very limited conceal carry (like one or two days a month). Would like to eventually add a red dot to it down the line. Want something I can throw a light on and that is good for long range sessions with low recoil and reliable. Capacity isn't a super big issue as I live in a 10+1 state, although I do like having the extra grip space.

So far my primary contenders are:

Glock 45
CZ-p10C
S&W Shield plus (this pistol I just really like but it may end up being better suited as a second pistol purchase and would probably run it with the extended magazine for the extra grip space)

Also, I will probably be looking to pickup a 12 gauge shotgun, so open to any shotgun recommendations as well. I like the Benelli M3 because it is both semi-auto but has a pump option as well just dunno if I can justify the expense.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I really like my G45 but I shot more than a dozen different weapons before making my decision. That being said you really need to go to your local gun shop and try several of the guns they carry. Shooting each one would be a great way to find out which would be the "better" choice. Are you new to shooting? What are your plans for training? Any gun you carry could have a second magazine that has more rounds so it wouldn't need to be the primary magazine in your EDC. Training, training, training. Not just shooting but actual training.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
40,883 Posts
Lots to choose from. Your 2 pistols listed are top choices. Walther and HK have comparable models. The Glock is tops for accessories, holsters, mags and such and price is nicer than any other offering.

Shotguns? Pump I’m a Remington 870 fan although their production quality control as of the last number of years was sub par. Mossberg 500/590 is a great option.
I had a Benelli M1 but ended up selling it off.
My favorite is the Russian VEPR-12 but it’s been banned and I’d imagine prices are through the roof.
Saiga 12 is more plentiful but temperamental. Chinese clones are crap.
There’s a glut of Turkish shotguns of all stripes on the market now and pricing is amazing at the moment. I’d recommend a lot of research before buying one though as some are great and others not so much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am incredibly limited on the firearms I can try. Most of the ranges where they have rentals have last generation pistols so like Gen 4 glocks or the old shield etc, so unfortunately for the newer firearms the most I can hope for is to be able to hold them. I wish I had easy access to ranges with large inventories to rent. Have shot a gen 5 g17 and I know of a range that has a czp10C that you can rent, so I should be able to try that. I have only gone pistol shooting a few times always with instructors. Rifle shooting a couple more times beyond that. So I am still getting used to shooting. Once I get the firearm I will want to go to the range and just work on markmanship and get that down using iron sights and then once I am comfortable with that take some more tactical courses. Unfortunately given how anti-firearm where I live is it can be difficult getting to a cost-effective range, so it may limit how often I can train. I'm still in the process of identifying possible locations for training as the ones I currently use are a bit far.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
40,883 Posts
I am incredibly limited on the firearms I can try. Most of the ranges where they have rentals have last generation pistols so like Gen 4 glocks or the old shield etc, so unfortunately for the newer firearms the most I can hope for is to be able to hold them. I wish I had easy access to ranges with large inventories to rent. Have shot a gen 5 g17 and I know of a range that has a czp10C that you can rent, so I should be able to try that. I have only gone pistol shooting a few times always with instructors. Rifle shooting a couple more times beyond that. So I am still getting used to shooting. Once I get the firearm I will want to go to the range and just work on markmanship and get that down using iron sights and then once I am comfortable with that take some more tactical courses. Unfortunately given how anti-firearm where I live is it can be difficult getting to a cost-effective range, so it may limit how often I can train. I'm still in the process of identifying possible locations for training as the ones I currently use are a bit far.
Look into GSSF. See if they offer competitions near you. I know you’re probably thinking, competition?!?! Is he crazy? GSSF caters to Glock owners off all skill levels. I’ve gone to their events and everyone is extremely helpful. You’ll make contacts with locals that can help you source shooting supplies and maybe even try out their guns.
I had lots of novice gun customers that were intimidated by CHL qualifications and even just shooting. It’s not rocket science. There are plenty of gun people that are enthusiastic about educating new shooters.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Any Glock will do, but the CZ has more weight, better ergo, and a very much nicer trigger. For a shotgun, Remington 870 pump, or a Benelli of any generation.

Generally speaking you want the largest frame Glock in a caliber you can manage. A G26 is much more difficult to shoot than a G34. And most important, shooting is 99% the shooter, so find the nearest to you IDPA/USPSA club and take shooting lessons from the local Master/Grand Masters.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
In your other thread you were asking about the G45 and G17. Both top choices.
Now, my choice for a first fiream, it would be the G19.
Unless you have super large hands, then we are back to the G45 vs G17 conversation.

·
Super Moderator
74,562 Posts
My choice would be the Glock 19 as well. I prefer my Gen 5 but as @Island Life said, all the G19’s shoot perfect.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I like the G48. Same size as the G19 but single stack. Mags “only” hold 10 but that can be overcome with Shield Arms magazines. A little easier to conceal than the G19 for me and I like the way it fits/feels in my hand better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure what you have in mind for long range sessions, but a red dot might help there, so think about getting a MOS version of the 45 or 17. Save costs down the road when you get a red dot. Comes ready with adapter plates. Good to go!
(Also, small point, they are are magazines, not clips)
A Walther PDP is another good option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure what you have in mind for long range sessions, but a red dot might help there, so think about getting a MOS version of the 45 or 17. Save costs down the road when you get a red dot. Comes ready with adapter plates. Good to go!
(Also, small point, they are are magazines, not clips)
A Walther PDP is another good option.
Thought I wrote magazines. What I meant by long range sessions is not the distance that I am shooting, but the amount of time I would be shooting. Since it is not simple for me to get to a range I would likely do extended shooting sessions on the dates that I do get to go and would want something that would be comfortable firing a lot in one session.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like the G48. Same size as the G19 but single stack. Mags “only” hold 10 but that can be overcome with Shield Arms magazines. A little easier to conceal than the G19 for me and I like the way it fits/feels in my hand better.
The 48 might be it remember he said he can only have 10 rounds where he lives

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thought I wrote magazines. What I meant by long range sessions is not the distance that I am shooting, but the amount of time I would be shooting. Since it is not simple for me to get to a range I would likely do extended shooting sessions on the dates that I do get to go and would want something that would be comfortable firing a lot in one session.
Apologies, you did say magazine. I read "extra grip space" incorrectly. (Being Canadian, the land of ten rounds and no carry)
Thanks for the clarification on long range sessions.

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
I missed the 10 round cap limit. The 48 would be my choice if conceal carry is not an option, & had magazine restriction of 10. Fwiw.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts