Glock Forum banner

First AR 15 build

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  zibby43 
#1 ·
Only after two weeks of buying my very first handgun( G 17) I just purchased my first piece of my AR 15 a spikes tactical zombie lower stripped receiver. I can't wait to start putting it together( waiting my California 10 day hold).

I pretty much know what butt stock and grip I want but I am having a hard time on what trigger assembly to use and what upper receiver to use. I want this build to be a great target gun, hunting and if SHTF be able to take a beating. I'd be really interested in hearing what everyone finds work the best for them.

#3 ·
A good, dependable LPK (Lower Parts Kit) is available from DPMS. I use DPMS almost exclusively, unless I want/need a target two-stage trigger.
+1000 on that
DPMS makes a kit as good as any other, and if you search long enough you can find them for $50 to $60. I've built a good deal of ar15s and I always use a DPMS LPK unless I'm using a match trigger

If you want a good target trigger Rock River 2 stage is great, but its going to cost nearly $100 more for that LPK.

For a super match grade trigger I'd go Timney, but that's $160+ for just the trigger.

#4 ·
Thanks guys!

Any ideas for a stripped upper? I be been looking at spikes tactical and Daniel defense. I even thought about spikes upper with LMT guts.

Iam really looking to build a super accurate gun for long range

#6 ·
In my humble opinion, the brand of the upper is not as large a factor towards accuracy and reliability, since it is the bolt carrier and boltpiece that form essentially the back end of the chamber, which is where the barrel starts. That being said, any Milspec upper from a reliable brand would be just as good as any other, for instance, in this category for me, RRA, DPMS, CMMG, LMT, are all equal with none better than others. I would, however, stay away from unknown brands simply because it may not be stricly Milspec.

Of greater consideration would be the configuration of the upper: A2 (fixed carry handle), A3 (flattop), A3 with detachable carry handle, or A3 with high-rise Picatinny mount.

Others may not agree with my assessment.

#7 ·
I use Geissele triggers in my builds. They make several different styles for all kinds of uses. They are a lil pricey but amazing clean break on the squeeze and zero trigger travel. Never a disappointment to me. Highly recommend if you have the money to spend on them.

#8 ·
Daniel Defense is on an entirely different level of quality than DPMS or CMMG. Not to offend anyone. Everyone is entitled to buy what they want, but Daniel Defense is all Mil-Spec. That's just a fact.

Do the research and you'll see the clear distinctions between the aforementioned brands.

For someone who shoots 1000 rounds a year, you might not notice anything deficient about a DPMS, Bushmaster, etc.

If you're at around 1000 rounds a week, it's time to start asking: What kind of steel is used for the barrel? For the BCG? Is the BCG MPI/HPT tested? Is the gas key properly staked? M4 feed ramps or rifle feed ramps with M4 feed ramps cut with a Dremel tool? Mil-Spec RE? Is the castle nut staked?

See this for a good start: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

When you can get a Colt, for example, which is a 100% Mil-Spec AR, for the same price or less than another brand . . . why not jump on it? I mean to each their own but I'll never understand settling for less.

To the OP: Uppers from any of the following would be outstanding: Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, LMT, Colt, KAC. I'll even throw Spike's in there too depending on what you get.

#10 · (Edited)
@Zibby43:

I think the OP was asking about stripped uppers, not including BCG or barrel. Just the aluminum shell of the upper.
Oh okay fair enough. Must've missed that. Hopefully the additional advice was useful to him - he'll have to get the BCG and everything else at some point. :)

He had mentioned a Spike's upper with "LMT guts" so I didn't know if he was considering complete URGs too. Honestly, I'd recommend buying a complete URG anyway but that's just me.

#11 ·
zibby43 said:
Daniel Defense is on an entirely different level of quality than DPMS or CMMG. Not to offend anyone. Everyone is entitled to buy what they want, but Daniel Defense is all Mil-Spec. That's just a fact.

Do the research and you'll see the clear distinctions between the aforementioned brands.

For someone who shoots 1000 rounds a year, you might not notice anything deficient about a DPMS, Bushmaster, etc.

If you're at around 1000 rounds a week, it's time to start asking: What kind of steel is used for the barrel? For the BCG? Is the BCG MPI/HPT tested? Is the gas key properly staked? M4 feed ramps or rifle feed ramps with M4 feed ramps cut with a Dremel tool? Mil-Spec RE? Is the castle nut staked?

See this for a good start: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

When you can get a Colt, for example, which is a 100% Mil-Spec AR, for the same price or less than another brand . . . why not jump on it? I mean to each their own but I'll never understand settling for less.

To the OP: Uppers from any of the following would be outstanding: Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, LMT, Colt, KAC. I'll even throw Spike's in there too depending on what you get.
Thanks very helpful I'am slowly moving towards a Daniel Defense upper and Daniel defense bolt and carriage.

#13 ·
zibby43 said:
My pleasure man. Don't get too attached to your money now that you're in the AR game :)
Ha... I'am already feeling the pain... But it will feel oh so good when those rounds are going down range :)

#15 ·
Don't get too hung up on the name game, if a part is built to Mil Spec than its built to mil spec. There are only 3-4 forgeries that make all the uppers and lowers. Rock River NAtional MAtch triggers are great for the money. Jard are nice too. All depends on your needs and budget. If you never fired an AR wiht a good trigger, you wont' think a stock mil spec is all that bad, if you've shott any thing else, you'll hate the stock mil spec trigger. Dont' forget to have some cash for sights/optics too

#16 · (Edited)
Ha... I'am already feeling the pain... But it will feel oh so good when those rounds are going down range :)
Amen to that brother. Congratulations again on your first build. You should take pride in the fact that you are putting together a very high-quality carbine that will endure whatever you put it through.

You guys are funny!

You speak the truth, but still funny!

Cheers!
:D

It's true though, sadly. Just when I think I have everything I need for the rifle, I decide I "need" to try something new.

Here's a pic of my current setup: DDM4v3 (Mid-Length) w/ Aimpoint Micro T-1 on LaRue LT660 mount and Magpul STR stock.

I just took off the DD VFG and added a Magpul AFG2 because it is more conducive to my shooting style/support hand positioning.

@ OP: If you have any additional questions/concerns - do not hesitate to let me know I will do my best to offer you sound advice.

#17 ·
zibby43 said:
Amen to that brother. Congratulations again on your first build. You should take pride in the fact that you are putting together a very high-quality carbine that will endure whatever you put it through.

:D

It's true though, sadly. Just when I think I have everything I need for the rifle, I decide I "need" to try something new.

Here's a pic of my current setup: DDM4v3 (Mid-Length) w/ Aimpoint Micro T-1 on LaRue LT660 mount and Magpul STR stock.

I just took off the DD VFG and added a Magpul AFG2 because it is more conducive to my shooting style/support hand positioning.

@ OP: If you have any additional questions/concerns - do not hesitate to let me know I will do my best to offer you sound advice.
Very nice rifle.... How do you like the Daniel Defense upper?

It's a hard time to try to build a AR everything...... seems to be out of stock or on back order it's crazy!!

#19 · (Edited)
Very nice rifle.... How do you like the Daniel Defense upper?

It's a hard time to try to build a AR everything...... seems to be out of stock or on back order it's crazy!!
It's only going to get worse as the election year approaches, unfortunately. Manufacturers are slammed.

And thank you! I bought the rifle as a complete DD factory rifle. There is absolutely no play between the DD upper and lower. Fit and finish is excellent. The weapon has been 100% reliable for me. Gas key is properly staked, etc. My next rifle will be a DD Mk18 10.3" SBR.

@Zibby43:

Nice AR build there! How are you liking that sight? Any cons?
Many thanks sir. I love the T-1. Ridiculously lightweight (3.7 ounces; I like my carbine as light as possible), extremely rugged, parallax free, and the battery lasts 5 years (50,000 hours of continuous use if left ON constantly).

It has 6 night vision compatible settings and 7 daylight settings. I'm looking to possibly get a magnifier to use in conjunction with it in the future when the budget allows for it. :D

The LaRue mount is impressive as well. I opted for the tall quick detach mount which allows for 1/3 cowitness with the BUIS. I can take it on and off without worrying about losing zero.

The only con was that the cost was 1/2 the cost of the rifle itself lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.