Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
El Guapo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I am new to this forum. I live in Long Island NY.

The question that I have is this. I bought an extend firing pin for my glock 34. When the trigger is activated, during a dry fire, I can hear a raddle in the slide. I know this is normal. But when I pull the slide back I can see the firing pin stick out. I can push it in with my fingers. It is like like free floating. If I pull the slide back enough and let it move forward so that the striker catches the sear the firing pin is pulled back. I am not sure if this is normal. But what I have experienced is some FTF. Basically the rim of the next cartridge gets stopped from sliding into the extractor by the protruding firing pin. It does not happen all the time.

Any ideas

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,395 Posts
glockpackingfuzz said:
It is a striker not a firing pin, and I think this normal. At least what I think you are describing is.
What's the difference between a firing pin and a striker?

·
Registered
26 Posts
bobtorre said:
First, I am new to this forum. I live in Long Island NY.

The question that I have is this. I bought an extend firing pin for my glock 34. When the trigger is activated, during a dry fire, I can hear a raddle in the slide. I know this is normal. But when I pull the slide back I can see the firing pin stick out. I can push it in with my fingers. It is like like free floating. If I pull the slide back enough and let it move forward so that the striker catches the sear the firing pin is pulled back. I am not sure if this is normal. But what I have experienced is some FTF. Basically the rim of the next cartridge gets stopped from sliding into the extractor by the protruding firing pin. It does not happen all the time.

Any ideas
Why did you get and extended firing pin? Just wondering.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
What's the difference between a firing pin and a striker?
A Firing Pin is struck by a hammer in order to touch off the primer. A Striker is a combination of Firing Pin and Sear which is pushed back by the Trigger Bar until the Trigger Bar moves down and allows it to move forward touching off the primer.
Since a striker fired gun has no hammer you can't really call the striker a firing pin although many do.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Put the stock striker back in...

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,395 Posts
TNFrank said:
A Firing Pin is struck by a hammer in order to touch off the primer. A Striker is a combination of Firing Pin and Sear which is pushed back by the Trigger Bar until the Trigger Bar moves down and allows it to move forward touching off the primer.
Since a striker fired gun has no hammer you can't really call the striker a firing pin although many do.
Don't most bolt action rifles fire without a hammer? I've never really heard striker being used until Glocks came out.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
GLOCK the manufacture calls it a firing pin.

A firing pin it is! And it is spring loaded at that, what a concept, IMHO.
;)
Yup, if you look at the disassemble Glock on the glock gun mats they call it a firing pin.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Back to the question, why did you need the extended pin, I have a skeletonized pin in mine when I dry fire the pin is exposed as you see, when slide pulled back it lock into firing position, I would say that is normal, unless you needed to change the pin spring also to compensate for the extended pin.

·
El Guapo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have a light striker/firing pin spring. I have a 2 lbs trigger pull and I use federal small pistol primers... This is my Glock 34 which I use for Uspsa competition ; not a carry piece ( not that I can have one )

Is the cartridge rim suppose to push back the firing pin as it loads after a shot has been fired. What I see is the striker, lol, has not engaged the trigger assembly/bar/sear/cross looking thinggy yet but the round goes up far enough to touch the firing pin/striker still extended passed the square hole ... I have a headache. Well sometimes the round Jams right there.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I have a light striker/firing pin spring. I have a 2 lbs trigger pull and I use federal small pistol primers... This is my Glock 34 which I use for Uspsa competition ; not a carry piece ( not that I can have one )

Is the cartridge rim suppose to push back the firing pin as it loads after a shot has been fired. What I see is the striker, lol, has not engaged the trigger assembly/bar/sear/cross looking thinggy yet but the round goes up far enough to touch the firing pin/striker still extended passed the square hole ... I have a headache. Well sometimes the round Jams right there.
After the cartridge fires the slide cycles back reseting the cruxiform and the firing pin to the cocked position while the slide mores forward. While this is happening, the next round is stripped from the mag and placed in the chamber as the gun goes back into battery.

Does the round jam there when you rack it slowly by hand or when it fires and cycles on it's own?

·
El Guapo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both.

The rim of the cartridge is stopped by the firing pin still sticking out. It is only when the cartridge rim pushes back the firing pin that the slide engages the crucifix and resets the trigger.

Try this ... Dry fire then open the chamber. You will see the firing pin sticking out

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Both.

The rim of the cartridge is stopped by the firing pin still sticking out. It is only when the cartridge rim pushes back the firing pin that the slide engages the crucifix and resets the trigger.

Try this ... Dry fire then open the chamber. You will see the firing pin sticking out
Yes that is correct; dry firing leaves the Firing Pin (FP) extended. This results because there is no round/primer in the chamber to hold FP in position for the firing pin safety (FPS) to lock the FP in place while the slide recoils and cycles another cartridge into the chamber.

Attempting to slowly close the slide (riding the slide) by hand and watching the cartridge load into the chamber will cause the problem you described (rim of the cartridge is stopped by the firing pin from entering the extractor).

Allow the slide to travel at it’s normal speed and all will be well and operate as designed. Nothing will get damaged.

If your problem is occurring when you allow the slide to normally travel under the pressure of a factory recoil spring then you probably need a new FP or a new FP assembly and possibly a new recoil spring assembly.

I forgot to add, this is all I can figure without knowing what other alterations you or, someone else might have accomplished.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts