Firing pin Spacer Sleeve

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by ka13, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ka13

ka13 New Member Supporter

I have a gen 3 G22 40 caliber. I just completed the initial Glock Armorer course and dis-assembled my weapon. I discovered the firing pin spacer sleeve is cracked, approximately 3/4 way around. Is this a common problem? I have ordered a new sleeve to replace it, but should i order a couple to have, and what would have caused the sleeve to break?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

I've never seen a spacer sleeve crack, I've seen a channel liner crack before. I don't know what would cause it with the spacer sleeve, but with the channel liner it's either improper installation or pierced primers.

3. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

No telling.
    Was the gun NIB or new to you when you made the purchase?
    I can not think of any reasons for the sleeve to fracture other than improper handling.

4. ka13

ka13 New Member Supporter

Thanks fellows, I finally have a new sleeve on the way from Glock. @ G-23 yes sir i purchased this weapon new from a reputable dealer. I don't know how it could have cracked, this was my first time to remove it. I never felt comfortable tearing my weapon down without the proper training.

5. bobbyhargrave

bobbyhargrave New Member

Somebody screwed w/ ur gun. The slide cover plate was removed & replaced by someone that did not know how to do it. Bet the cover plate shows "witness" marks as well.
    Don't be shy about disassembly of ur Glock. It was designed by RSGs (real smart guys) to be worked on by anyone who can master a 3/32" punch. Pure genius. :)

6. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

When removed properly (most all gunsmiths know how) there is no tell tail marks signs left on the slide cover.

If you have "witness marks" like scratches or gouges on yours, then someone is doing it wrong.

7. RBeach

RBeach Member

I just ruined a sleeve trying to install it without the proper tools or plan of action.
    I believe I also ruined the firing pin spacer, so, does anyone knows how to install the sleeve without having to buy the $20-$28 tool?
    I just ordered a few of each just in case, $2.95 from midway, however I need to remove the one I ruined, which I've seen videos now on how to remove it.
    Thanks

8. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Here's are some videos that may be helpful.

After removing the firing pin...

Glock 19 Firing Pin Removal
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Cs_8RMTbg[/ame]

... disassemble, replace parts as required, and reassemble the firing pin assembly as shown here...

Glock Trick, Replacing the Firing Spring Cups Easy
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrrqkjhPYNA[/ame]
    (Credit to 686ssr for previously posting this video.)

Best regards,

Bob :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  9. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know how anyone could ruin a firing pin spacer sleeve, there are no tools needed to change out the firing pin spring or cups. The firing pin channel liner is a little trickier, but I just used a 5/16 lag bolt to snatch it without touching the bore on a used G17 I got. But there is no need to ever remove that part either.....if someone hasn't messed with it.

10. RBeach

RBeach Member

I purchased a slide and the parts to put it together, I know now that there's a side that goes in first, and I didn't before, that's how I ruined it.
    Quick and easy, really.

11. rbbeers

For those interested...

How-To: Remove/Install Glock Channel Liner
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRQTNOcXBQ[/ame]

Best regards,

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  12. RBeach

RBeach Member

That's exactly the tool I am trying not to buy, I was hoping someone had a home remedy for this.
    There's another one sold by brownell's that is two sided, installation and removal, I think it goes for 27.99 plus shipping.
    Anyway, thanks for the info everyone.

13. officerX

officerX Well-Known Member Supporter

Which "sleeve" are you referring to exactly? The firing pin spacer sleeve or the channel liner?

14. RBeach

RBeach Member

The channel liner, seems like it's pretty easy to ruin if you don't have the required tool, I was thinking like a wood rod perhaps, I might have to bite the bullet and buy the tool, the glock store has an ebay acct and I saw it there for about $20 including shipping, then I'll have a really useful tool that I probably won't use ever again.

15. rbbeers

An 11/32" pin punch may work okay.

https://www.mscdirect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/details/03920162

But, if you have to buy a punch, a Channel Liner Installation Tool may be a better choice.

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=852683

Best regards,

16. RBeach

RBeach Member

Thanks for the links, I do have a punch and just in case I ordered 3 liners, so hopefully I won't use them all in one attempt.