Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been done to death as it were! But ! I want to throw it out there to get different opinions on safe handling of firearms .
When instructing a Newbie I like to enforce a message to them straight up! I place a firearm on a bench in front of them (where possible with the bolt out ) ! I explain to them that what they are looking at is a useless piece of wood and metal! Totally inert ! Then I invite them to pick it up! Once they do ,I point out it is now a lethal weapon in the hands of an idiot and tell them to put it down! Once they do I point out that it is now just a useless piece of wood and metal! What happened when they picked it up? Simple, the Human became part of the equation! Any incident involving a firearm accidently discharging is Human error and I firmly believe that we as humans are inherently defective ! We all suffer from , distraction, fatigue, and sometimes just plain stupidity! I'm no angel here! I'm just as human as the most inexperienced newbie!!!!!
Personally ,I don't trust a firearm until I have physically, removed the bolt and magazine ,or have the bolt /action locked open and have physically felt the chamber to ensure its empty! If it is a firearm with a non detachable magazine (Tubular come to mind here ) I like to where possible look and feel into the loading gate and cycle the action several times ! When I get home from work. I get my wife to remove the firearm from the vehicle and double check it! Even though I have removed the Bolt /Magazine or have the action locked open ! Why ? because I have been awake for up to 16 hours sometimes and I just don't trust myself! Because I'm human ! Even out bush ,I have a designated safe area to unload and make safe! I do not use safety catches! In fact (collective gasp) My working rifles have had the safeties removed! I do not close the bolt fully on a chambered round until , I'm ready to shoot and on my Pump actions and auto loaders the action is locked open until ,I'm going through the target acquisition stage (animal in my sights, ready to put money in the bank)
I once had a learner and he rested his rifle against the side of the truck! I saw the bolt was closed and questioned him about it . I asked, if he had cleared the firearm and if so Hadn't I drilled into him to get a second opinion to the state of said firearm ? IE is the bloody thing loaded? He assured me that he knew it was loaded ! But the safety was on! He picked it up and showed me the safety was indeed on and then (pointing it in a safe direction ,thank god ) squeezed the trigger! Fortunately for him both of our ears were ringing from the discharge, so he couldn't hear half of the abuse from me on our trip back home! I did suggest he take up land mine removal or becoming a crash test dummy in the automotive industry! I am not ashamed to admit that having a Make Safe area in my camp has several times proven it's worth ! Especially when I have arrived back in camp almost falling asleep! Forgetting to remove the Magazine cycling the action and then dry firing the rifle before removing the bolt! Has resulted in the muzzle blast ensuring ,that I got my second wind and assisted in emptying my bladder and bowels! The only thing injured was the hole in the make safe area and my pride !

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,394 Posts
Wrongly or rightly a number of guns in my safe are loaded. I’ve told friends and family that all my guns are loaded always, wether they actually are or not. With the assumption that all guns are loaded it usually means you’ll treat them as such.

Every person that’s about to touch a gun needs to know the rules!
Rectangle Font Poster Parallel

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
Wrongly or rightly a number of guns in my safe are loaded. I’ve told friends and family that all my guns are loaded always, wether they actually are or not. With the assumption that all guns are loaded it usually means you’ll treat them as such.

Every person that’s about to touch a gun needs to know the rules!
View attachment 262349
All my carry pistols are always loaded, even while stored. Your not alone Danzig.

·
Registered
211 Posts
"Safe area". Excellent safety procedure for a hunting camp. I no longer hunt so all my shooting is at ranges. I also live alone so there's only one dummy to worry about in the house. :)
Whether I'm cleaning a firearm or taking it shooting I always check it when I take out of the safe and before I put it back in the safe.
If I'm going shooting I check each firearm before I put it in its case or holster, when I get to the range and take it out of it's case or holster, before I put it back in its case or holster to leave the range, when I get home and get ready to clean them, and before I put them back in the safe.
My bedside and EDC handgun, a S&W model 10 revolver, has 5 rounds in it with the hammer sitting on an empty chamber. There are also a couple speed loaders close by.
If I have visitors over (rare), especially if they have children, (even rarer) I unload it and place it and its ammo in the safe and if I go someplace without the S&W it goes into the safe. If I'm taking it with me I make sure that it has 5 rounds in it and the hammer is down on an empty chamber.
My main safe, an old 825lb McWelco C-38, sits in an extra basement bedroom along with my reloading equipment. All the firearms in the safe are unloaded but there is ammo in the safe for each firearm. All my striker fired firearms have dummy rounds in them so I can pull the trigger and release the tension on the firing pin spring. All hammer fired firearms have the hammer down on an empty chamber.
Yeah I know that the recommendation is to have ammo stored separately from firearms but if somebody can break into the safe having ammo in there with the firearms is the least of my worries.
I have a second slightly smaller and lighter safe bolted to the cement floor of my enclosed back porch to hold my reloading supplies and extra ammo so in case of a fire the basement bedroom doesn't become a bomb.
Personally I think a prerequisite for purchasing a firearm should be proof that the buyer has passed a firearm safety and shooting course.
If a person can't pass a course I took and passed when I was 10 years old then I don't want them around me with a firearm.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
I'm the opposite. Everything I have is hot all the time, everything.
All my self defense oriented guns are always loaded. I don’t keep my older pistols like my Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match, or my Hi-Power, etc loaded. That being said. All my guns are treated as loaded at all times.

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
Every firearm I touch is loaded until I have verified it isn't. Several times I have been handed a "cleared weapon" only to find one in the chamber. At our club they require a chamber flag on all firearms out of their case.
At age 18 I learned my lesson with treating firearms as loaded. A trusted friend handed my a 12 gauge. He swore he didn’t even have ammo for it. I almost started to inspect it. Decided to make sure it was clear. 1 00 buck shell ejected out of it. Guns are always loaded, until you verify otherwise!!!

·
Grumpy Old Man
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Growing up and later living on the Farm. We always had a .410 by the back door and several shells by it, as Snakes were a problem! It was never loaded due to it's location. When my Wife moved in with me along with her kids ,she was terrified of the thought! Till one day she was out pegging the washing! I heard her come in muttering and didn't pay much attention! There was a couple of seconds later a 'crack' of the .410 ,followed by her coming inside again muttering about Bloody snakes! 😂 The funniest was one morning I was not long home from work, I'd just settled in for the day and dozed off .When she came into the bedroom screaming there was a snake in the kitchen! I've jumped out of bed (stark naked and bare footed ) and raced to the kitchen! Yes the was a bloody great King Brown! They are deadly! My wife and I saw the .410 at the same time! It was a case of her (although terrified of the 'Joe Blake' ) screaming at me .......Your not shooting it here in the house!!!!!!!!!! Thank God for long handled shovels! It was afterwards I remembered I had .22 Rat shot ammo! 😒

·
Registered
9 Posts
My goto rifle is always hot, but stored in the safe while I'm away. The shotgun mounted to the inside door of my safe is hot. My EDC is not allowed to be cold and always with back up mag(22 rnd fun stick). My underware gun always hot(I sometimes where it on my nail bag suspenders when I work late All other firearms are considered hot even tho they reside in the safe(sometimes after the news I load everything, it makes me feel better). An unloaded rifle is a stick, an unloaded Glock is a brick.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I'm in the basement reloading my S&W M10 is upstairs in my bedroom but I always open the gun safe (also in the reloading room) so if I hear a weird noise I can just grab something out of the safe, load it, and go see what the noise is.
My Stevens model 77 ex Baltimore PD riot gun sits in the front row. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
Trigger Office supplies Air gun Material property Wood

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
All of my handguns are loaded, in the safe and no round in the chamber. The exception is that my EDC, G43, is ALWAYS in Condition 1 - Round Chambered, whether carrying, on my night table, holstered, or in my safe holstered. That’s just how this guy rolls.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
When asked by a newbie about carrying with one in the chamber, I give them a tip I learned from someone on this forum… “carry unloaded with trigger reset in your home for a week or two. You will find that the trigger remains reset the entire time. You will understand that the trigger is only pulled by you, and the gun will not fire unless you make it fire.” This is how I felt very comfortable carry Condition 1….
Also, there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. There are only Negligent Discharges and Weapon Malfunctions…PERIOD!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts