Firearm in car

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by dslmac2, Mar 20, 2012.

1. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Have my CC, but was just wondering if I left a gun in my car, say center console and my wife who does not have CC was driving my car and got pulled over ( I know it would depend on why) but the LEO found gun, would she get in trouble?? Would I get in trouble for leaving it there?

2. In Missouri you can keep a loaded gun in a car without a CCW. I'd check your state laws.

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

In all of Nevada except Clark County (Greater Las Vegas area including Hendersen and Boulder), you can carry a loaded handgun in the car without a CCW permit.

Like Punisher said, check your state laws, it may be legal.

4. SquadCapt4

SquadCapt4 New Member

Can you list what state you're in? There's a lot of edumacated folks on here well versed in their particular State's laws.

5. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

I am in crazy Florida.

6. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Found this online: hope it is correct.

Yes-Florida Law states that your Hand Gun cannot be readily available and needs to be in a snapped or secured case

7. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

That sucks, Colorado it can even be chambered without a permit. But we have open carry too.

8. You hope that is correct? Huh
    I would think you wouldn't want it to be. Call and ask a CCW class instructor. Back it up by asking a down to earth cop. See what they say if u can't find anything on the net.

9. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Any members from Florida able to address the OPs question?

10. kimo

kimo New Member

Florida is a state that sees your vehicle as an extension of your home. You can have a loaded +1 firearm with you as long as it is in something with a lid. I.E. glove compartment, center console. Let me see if I can find something online for you.

11. kimo

kimo New Member

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

AND JUST TO CLEARIFY

790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Kimo, thank you so much for the invaluable input!

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Good solid answer kimo...thanks for helping !!

14. kimo

kimo New Member

I know I'm fairly new here but always here to help! Thanks. I'd like to add that it says snapped in a holster is securely encased but I wouldn't just throw it on your seat. Has to be in something that has a lid. Heck if you put it in a cereal box and closed it you would be within law. Also I don't not recommend doing that ;-). Stick to the glove compartment or center console.

15. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Punisher, Well I am not going to leave a firearm out and visible in a car that I am not in, so I will place it in glove box or center console. I have my CC so I have it anywhere when I drive. My main question was if my wife took my car and I forgot to remove the handgun, would she get into trouble if stopped for some reason.

Thank you Very much KIMO for your quick research and answers. It was just something that I thought about yesterday when my wife asked to take my car.

16. Grabber GT

Grabber GT New Member

Ohio
    In Ohio, it's against the law to have an armed weapon inside the car without a permit. My understanding is if you leave the weapon in the car with someone who doesn't have a permit they would be breaking the law. So, just to be safe, my wife and I are both CCW licensed.

17. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

On that note, DSLMAC2, how would your wife feel about getting a permit herself?

I can imagine situations where you both would feel more comfortable separately armed.

18. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

She currently does not care much for firearms, but I am working on it. She did give me a "Gun Fund" Box with some money for a gun this past Valentines Day. That was my first great start.

19. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Take her out shooting more.

Then convince her that it is in HER best interests that she also be able to defend herself if you are not around.

Maybe?

20. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Absolutely!! I have taken her a few times, she will come around with a little more time.