Glock Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well, luckily, I’m now out of that zinc cased ammo.
The targets did have a backer behind it, however it was shot up pretty good.
I’m left eye dominant and trying to learn myself to shoot right handed.
I shoot crosseyed dominant ever since I sustained an injury to my right eye. I have to close my right eye now & tilt the sights to line up with left eye.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I’ve tried sighting with both eyes open and it just doesn’t work for me. It takes me too long to dial in my target between shots, and my accuracy doesn’t improve any either. The one thing that really helped me was shifting my whole grip to the left where the webbing of my hand is centered directly under the beaver tail. It felt awkward at first but after I got used to it I did notice that my groupings are a little tighter.
That is a better description of how I shoot now also.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
2nd stance, left foot is correctly forward, but his arms and knees are far too bent. Stance 3 is just about right, needs more left foot forward and less bent knees. He is shooting both eyes open in 3. You want to be a better (faster and more accurate shooter?), you have to have the fundamental first.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
His thumbs are wrong in the first stance, always right thumb over left thumb (right hand shooter)
I missed that in the pic. My thumbs are as you described they should be when I shoot. I was focusing on how he was lining his pistol up to his eye. Looking at it again I also don’t tilt it as much as guy in pic. Also my stance is not like that.

View attachment 256275

SixG17s, if you see something I could correct. Please let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I missed that in the pic. My thumbs are as you described they should be when I shoot. I was focusing on how he was lining his pistol up to his eye. Looking at it again I also don’t tilt it as much as guy in pic. Also my stance is not like that.

View attachment 256275

SixG17s, if you see something I could correct. Please let me know. Thanks!
Wood Standing Khaki pants Flooring Hardwood

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Very Weaveresque. I started Weaver then went Isosceles a number of years ago. My shooting and control improved immensely.
I shot weaver when I was right hand, right eye dominant. Before my injury to my right eye. So I guess I shoot weaver, my head tilted a little, then sights tilted to meet my head tilt, lol!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Very Weaveresque. I started Weaver then went Isosceles a number of years ago. My shooting and control improved immensely.
Isosceles is the more accurate stance, my eye injury, & now having to shoot cross eye dominant with right eye shut. It just doesn’t work for me. I also like that weaver stance is very close to MA fighting stance.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
40,951 Posts
Isosceles is the more accurate stance, my eye injury, & now having to shoot cross eye dominant with right eye shut. It just doesn’t work for me. I also like that weaver stance is very close to MA fighting stance.
Have you looked into Center Axis Relock?

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts

·
Glockin’ since 1993
40,951 Posts
I actually went through a CAR class with Paul Castle instructing.
It was catching on but then body armor became more widespread so that conflicts with the techniques.
It is very fast and good for fighting.
Some facets I still employ.
RIP Paul Castle.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Lucian, from the bottom up. Stance: your left foot is way too far forward twisting your whole body. I would expect your shots to be mostly to the right doing that. Use a boxers stance that allows you move forward, aft, left or right with minimum effort. So square off to a target and move your left foot about one foot forward (right handers). Stand up a bit straighter. Lock your arms out fully, then relax a bit. You don't need a death grip on the gun, just enough to resist a slight sideways push. Most people grip the life out of the gun and start shaking. Get your web of your right hand as high as you can on the frame. Use your first knuckle to pull the trigger. Make sure your right thumb is above your left thumb. Since you are left eye dominant, tilt your head to the right, and roll your gun to the left (little bit of homie style). Then, don't breathe and squeeze, grip it and rip it. From the low ready, flash sight picture on center mass, and jerk the trigger without moving the gun. Start at 3 yards. Best to practice with a shot timer and a standard USPSA/IDPA scoring target so you can measure improvement. Try all that stuff and post up pics of your groups.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Lucian, from the bottom up. Stance: your left foot is way too far forward twisting your whole body. I would expect your shots to be mostly to the right doing that. Use a boxers stance that allows you move forward, aft, left or right with minimum effort. So square off to a target and move your left foot about one foot forward (right handers). Stand up a bit straighter. Lock your arms out fully, then relax a bit. You don't need a death grip on the gun, just enough to resist a slight sideways push. Most people grip the life out of the gun and start shaking. Get your web of your right hand as high as you can on the frame. Use your first knuckle to pull the trigger. Make sure your right thumb is above your left thumb. Since you are left eye dominant, tilt your head to the right, and roll your gun to the left (little bit of homie style). Then, don't breathe and squeeze, grip it and rip it. From the low ready, flash sight picture on center mass, and jerk the trigger without moving the gun. Start at 3 yards. Best to practice with a shot timer and a standard USPSA/IDPA scoring target so you can measure improvement. Try all that stuff and post up pics of your groups.
Thank you for the strait up critique & corrections!! Also your dead on with me shooting to the right. My first shot is always almost a little to the right.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
You are welcome. And here you thought you could just pick up the gun and shoot like John Wick (in the movies). He was actually trained by Taran Butler, one of the greatest USPSA and 3 gun shooters ever. Although I have never seen Keanu Reeves shoot a USPSA match....

21 - 40 of 42 Posts