Finally, My First Glock

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by glockworkOrange, Jun 24, 2012.

1. glockworkOrange

glockworkOrange New Member

Hello all,

This week after some research I purchased my first glock, a gen 4 G17. I'm pretty much in love, sometimes I find myself just gazing into its sights. I knew I wanted that exact gun for while, even accumulated some accessories which I list below, along with some pics.

My first trip to the range was a little bit of a let down. Not for fault of the glock, just my crap aim. But it was my first time and I will keep practicing a lot. Anyone have any tips? Does upgrading to a steel or tungsten guide rod really make that much of a difference? I've read that changing the guide rod could be bad for the gun because it was designed to be plastic and to flex.

The threaded barrel and compensator below weren't used on my first trip out, I want to get familiar with the gun completely stock first.

Accessories:

Glock factory 33 round mag
    Blackhawk Paddle Holster
    NcStar Tactical Light
    NcStar Green Laser
    Lone Wolf Threaded Barrel w/ protector
    Jager Compensator

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

2. Glock23punisher56

Glock23punisher56 New Member

As far as tips on shooting! Are you shooting from reset? Are you getting behind the gun with a semi crouched fighting stance? And the biggest question of all are you shooting low and left?

3. Glock23punisher56

As far as tips on shooting! Are you shooting from reset? Are you getting behind the gun with a semi crouched fighting stance? And the biggest question of all are you shooting low and left?next time at the range aim dead center at 10 yards do five shots slow and smooth if they are grouped but low and left your pushing it!

4. william488

william488 New Member

I herd the same thing about the guide rod, it being better the plastic one, but you will find many here who like one or the other, the price is not that bad, so you might want to try it out yourself, personally, I cannot give you any one way or the other on that, never changed mine from the factory set. btw, nice looking guns. :)

5. +1 on everything except I recommend you start at 5 yards or less.

6. 45sAndHighFives

45sAndHighFives New Member

You really need to make sure you are breathing when you don't breath your hands can get shaky, also try changing the way you hold the gun different grip styles also don't use touch finger that can cause you to pull down and don't anticipate the shot just shoot and have fun nice Glock BTW I love my 19 Gen 3

7. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

Since you are just getting started, this is what I watched. It has helped me greatly with recoil control, grip, and accuracy.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhTA-n0ivE[/ame]
    A little sidenote to add to this video, in addition to the grip described here, push out with your strong hand and pull in with your support hand (slightly not trying to smash the grip) and this will greatly decrease the amount of muzzle flip. Also, practice trigger control, dry fire dry fire dry fire, and then dry fire some more. Learn to pull the trigger straight back without pushing the gun left or right, and then also not anticipating recoil and pushing the muzzle down right before the shot. So the things I described first and recoil won't be much of a problem.

8. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

Everyone has given some great ideas...I'll add one. Unload the gun and place a penny flat on the top of the slide. Pull the slide back as if to chamber a round, so you can dry fire the gun, and take careful aim at something 10' away or so, and squeeze the trigger so the penny doesn't move. If it moves you are anticipating the recoil which results in yanking the trigger and pulling your shots offline. This is a nice technique to use when you can't get to the range but need to practice good form. Good luck and enjoy the G17...just don't play with it too much...bad for the eyesight and all ;-)

9. jimmyalbrecht

Yep, this drill will piss you off at first too. To make it harder, use an empty shell casing instead of a penny lol.

10. Glock23punisher56

Dummy rounds are a big help you can order them off line load three clips put a dummy round every so many and start with the slow is smooth and smooth is fast when you squeeze the trigger and a dummy round goes click watch what your hands shoulders and muzzle do it will tell the truth then rack that round out and continue it tightened my groups by two inches! Train train train! You will fight like you train!

11. 45sAndHighFives

45sAndHighFives New Member

Haha I meant to put to much finger not touch finger my bad

12. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

This works great...pay close attention and it will clean up loose groups really fast...great suggestion punisher!!!

13. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

The penny & the shell casing are good training aids. Mounting the laser & using it to dry fire will show you exactly what your doing. I use mine all the time that way, the little dot of light doesn't lie.

It is a very nice Glock, congrats on getting it.

14. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

You are so right...I remember cussing myself over and over...still do.

The casing in lieu of penny is a great idea...son of a *%#^* I just tried it and, son of a ^*%#^, again it rolled of the dang slide...better keep working it ;-)

15. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    The first time I shot a Glock I didn't even hit paper. Learn the Glock trigger. Use the pad of your finger, take up the slack till you feel it firm up, then squeeze straight back BOOM! Keep finger on the trigger let forward to reset and repeat preceding. I've trained a number of police officers that had to adjust to the Glock trigger.
    Good luck.

16. glockworkOrange

Thanks for the tips everyone. Some good stuff, I will try it out.

17. jimmyalbrecht

This, I picked up a 1911 for the first time and hit the bullseye. I shot a Glock for the first time and barely made it on the target lol. You just have to learn the trigger. It is not a bad trigger, but many bash the Glock because they don't take the time to learn it. The trigger reset is awesome btw, if you master that, it will drastically improve your accuracy and speed.

18. glockworkOrange

What do you guys mean by "shooting from reset" or "reset trigger"? Sorry I'm sort of new to all this.

19. havik72

havik72 Senior Member

Shooting from rest means using a rest to support yourself and/or the gun. Not as realistic for how you would actually shoot in a defensive situation.

Reset trigger means after you pull the trigger and fire the striker you have to release the trigger to reset it and make it ready to fire again. The trigger doesn't have to fully return to full release to reset. Try dry firing it and while holding the trigger down pull the slide back. slowly release the trigger until you hear it reset And then pull again to fire.

20. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Clear your gun. Squeeze the trigger after it trips the striker, keep the trigger pressed to the rear, rack the slide. Slowly release the trigger, when you feel it click forward against your finger that is when the trigger has reset. My brother would fully release the trigger letting the back of his finger touch the back of the trigger guard. This upsets the repeatability of your finger placement and adds a lot of unnecessary movement to resqueeze the trigger.