Feed ramp polish

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by brettc, Jun 1, 2012.

1. brettc

brettc New Member

I have a sigma sw40ve and at my past visit to the range my first round I went to chamber locked my slide up. I think it was the target/ range ammo (wwb). After clearing it 3 times the problem seemed to have gotten better. But I would really like some info on how to polish my Feed ramp by hand. What polish to use and technique would be great. thanks for taking time to help.

2. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

As Nuk would say, mothers polish, rag, and some TLC.

3. brettc

brettc New Member

Perfect, thanks a lot man

4. ^^^ there you have it

do not do not do not DO NOT use sandpaper or tools on the feed ramp!! I preach this for all polishing but with the feed ramp it is a very serious statement. Your issues are most likely not from the feed ramp, but if you sand or use power tools on the feed ramp it will be.

5. brettc

brettc New Member

No, i would never. Im far from a professional. wanted to do it all by hand. I just got some Winchester ranger ammo for the range to see if that solves the problem, but I thought a little polish by hand wouldn't hurt.

6. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

Could be the lips on the mag. It would affect the angle the bullet enters the feed ramp

7. my money is on ammo or limp wristing. two most common causes

8. brettc

brettc New Member

It wasn't when I shot, it was chambering my first round. I spent about an hour and a half now with the mothers and a rag. Loaded up a mag of Winchester ranger and the first round chambered like butter. Idk if it was the ammo or the polish, but as long as she keeps working I'll be happy . Thanks for the info

9. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

The feed ramp polishing won't hurt, especially if it's done by hand.

Ive seen some guns not like the Winchester white box ammo.
    It's just not that consistent in terms of quality. It's not bad stuff, I use it all the time but it's def not as good as the more expensive ammo.

D

10. RobertR13

RobertR13 Left

Jewelers rouge works very well by hand. If it's coated I would probably start with red, if it's bare steel you could start with black then go to white.

11. That stuff is the #1 ingredient in my custom polishing compound. It's not coated, black should take care of it. Problem is many people can't find it local. I get it through a local jeweler in big containers pretty cheap. A container lasts like a year because of it being an ingredient and not what I'm directly using.

12. RobertR13

RobertR13 Left

Harbor freight sells it, as do most ACE hardware stores. I'm not sure about Home Depot or Lowe's though.