Favorite Solvent?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by randomguy, Jun 21, 2020.

1. randomguy

randomguy Active Member

So I cleaned a few guns recently. A couple AR’s and a couple Glocks. Both had some carbon build up and stuff on them. I’ve got Hoppe’s #9, Rem oil, Ballistol and all seemed to do well at getting the loose stuff off, but all seemed to require a lot of elbow grease to clean off of the caked on areas. I sprayed on, let sit for a few mins and hit with a brass or plastic brush or both.

Looking through the cleaning threads here, it seems like Hoppes #9 gets a lot of votes, but I’m not that impressed. To get my G19 feed ramp clean, I had to soak it in a shot glass multiple times and scrub, scrub, scrub. I don’t care about the work, I’m a farm kid. But most people seem to act like it’s a 5 minute process start to finish and it seems like I struggle to truly get a Glock feed ramp or an AR bolt carrier nice & clean.

Anyone have any other solvent suggestions? FYI, I use Gun Butter for lube. It’s a little thicker and it comes in a container almost like Loctite and has like a hypodermic needle applicator. So it’s super easy to get a very small amount in a very specific location.

2. grayman

grayman Active Member

I run a really wet patch down the barrel and let It set on the feed ramp then set It aside an proceed to clean the rest of the firearm 10 or 15 minutes If It still won't come off might I suggest getting an ultrasonic cleaner or clean It more often.
    I use hoppes #9

23 glock likes this.

3. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Not that I think it’s necessary but when I need something polished I put a dab of Flitz on a cleaning patch and rub it. Makes parts mirror polished with no damage to critical dimensions.

23 glock, Bayou, RevV and 2 others like this.
  4. randomguy

randomguy Active Member

I’ve used Mother’s for polishing with a cotton wheel on a dremel quite a bit. Several triggers, actually. But here I’m just looking to get off the caked on gunk. Guess maybe I could get a baby food jar together and keep it full enough for soaking stuff on a longer term basis. Funny thing is that I don’t shoot that often, or that many rounds compared to most folks on here. The G19 I’m talking about has <800 rounds through it. Ever. And the two AR bolts I was cleaning had been to the range one time, so a couple hundred rounds tops. However, they weren’t recently, so I guess they’ve had time to dry out and crust up.

Bayou likes this.
  5. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

Solvent I use Hoppes #9 and in rifles Hoppes copper cleaner. For lubing, anything that needs oil I use synthetic motor oil. Anything that needs grease I use Weapon Shield grease.

6. Squints08

Squints08 Member

For bore cleaning I’ve recently become a strong supporter of Montana X-treme gun cleaning products. Especially if you shoot 100% copper bullets. I had used Hoppes #9 prior but the difference in bore cleanliness is apparent in my eyes. For lubrication of other parts I like classic rem-oil. Ballistol had an odor that I wasn’t too fond of but it did work well.

Bayou likes this.
  7. SargeRN

SargeRN Old Soldier Supporter

I love the smell of Hoppes in the morning, or afternoon or evening!!
    Sarge

Bayou and Silver-Bolt like this.
  8. SargeRN

SargeRN Old Soldier Supporter

OK now here is the real deal! One of my friends and a long range shooter/instructor teaches this, but a bit of background first! He is a retired LEO, retired military, then active LEO again (still), military sniper competitor, long range shooter and military sniper. He has been shooting for WAY over 50 years and is dang good with anything you put in his hands!
    His current long range rifle has over 30,000 (documented) rounds, that's not a typo, 30,000 rounds down the tube. His cleaning method, run 2 dry patches down the tube, run 2 patches of ISOPROPHYL ALCOHOL down the tube and you're done!!
    Now remember 30,000 rounds down the tube and NO CHANGE IN POA/POI from 100-1000 yards!!!
    Can't get much easier and really cheap than that!!
    Sarge

RevV likes this.
  9. randomguy

randomguy Active Member

Hmmm, not doubt the guy’s bona fides, but no oil ever? It wouldn’t surprise if alcohol did well at removing residue if you cleaned right after your shot each time. But alcohol evaporates totally, and fast. Leaving a barrel bone dry always and forever would just make me a little nervous.

Really more what I was after with this thread is what to do with the caked on stuff. Seems like most folks prefer Hoppes #9 or Ballistol, so I guess I’ll just have to go with longer soaks before I scrub, or be more diligent about cleaning soon after every shoot.

10. NWG40

NWG40 Well-Known Member Supporter

Either Hoppes #9 or Butch's bore shine for heavy copper build up. Run a couple of wet patches thru, let it sit for 10 minutes, then dry patch it & if necessary repeat. Polishing the feed ramp is always a good idea because the factory won't put the type of finish that we all like. ;)

11. NWG40

SargeRN
    I don't doubt it a bit. But I do doubt that's a factory barrel tho. That'll make all the difference in how he can maintain it.

12. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

Lead-away patches down any barrel gets any build up/crust out very well. Works especially well on Shot Guns and ARs.

13. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Active Member

Hot running water, wave it around to dry, oil as indicated.
    No scrubbing, smelling, fussing, cussing, or stressing. It just works.

NWG40 likes this.
  14. RevV

RevV Well-Known Member

Anyone else like BreakFree CLP?

I use only Hoppes Bore Cleaner in my barrels, never anything else, and I use only CLP on everything else. I always clean after every range trip.

I don't claim any expertise, but all my guns appear clean.

NWG40, Danzig and Lucian_253 like this.
  15. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’m a BF CLP general cleaner guy. Use heavier lube on certain parts of my ar’s.

RevV and NWG40 like this.
  16. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I’ve been using CLP since early 1990’s. I don’t think I’ll ever run out.

17. NWG40

That's exactly what I use especially for the rifles. I had a friend back when I was working and he was into F-class competitions. One time he asked me if I knew of another lube to use in colder weather. When I asked why he said CLP has a tendency to thicken up. Anyone hear of that?

RevV likes this.
  18. Lucian_253

RevV likes this.
  19. Lucian_253

https://www.army.mil/article-amp/198696/winter_weapons_handling

20. LElliott

LElliott Well-Known Member

Heard the same about Frog Lube

NWG40 and Lucian_253 like this.