Favorite Shooting Stance

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by TxShooter, Jan 28, 2012.

1. TxShooter

TxShooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

What is your preferred shooting stance for target shooting?

Weaver, Modified Weaver, etc.

2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Moving, good practice and more fun for me

3. I shoot from every position I can think of. Prone is a big one that people need to practice and don't. But for the most part, this is my stance. I actually consider it bad form, I should be leaned more forward into the shot (example, see armedmissouri avatar) but for some reason I can't seem to remember to do it at the range lol. When i practice at home a more forward stance comes natural so I have no clue why it doesnt at the range.

I'm a brand whore. Note the Oakley sunglasses, Oakley protect hoodie, Oakley protect gloves, and Oakley boots. And you can't see it but my phone holder in the pic was Oakley LOL

Attached Files:

4. Here is my preferred stance. I call it a "combat" style Weaver.

[​IMG]

I do practice additional stances though. Here is another I'm fond of. Notice the gun is very close to my right side and the weak hand is on my chest.

[​IMG]

I regularly practice shooting from squatting, kneeling, shooting from behind cover/concealment. Here's a pic of my lovely wife practicing from behind concealment.

[​IMG]

I have even tried shooting from on my back which is, unfortunately, a likely scenario.

5. I'm a big fan of this. I had an instructor in MI that would put us infront of a man shaped target, and have us take hold of the throat with the opposite hand (if you are right handed/draw, use left hand) at a full arms length, and lean in like we were holding the target back. We would hold the gun against our right side, up and angled slightly outward to protect our body from the slide.

I thought this was a great idea, because that is an entirely likely scenario.

Shooting from the back I have actually never tried.

She has good form. Shut up you perverts I'm being serious lol

6. I practice a drill (both dry and live fire) in which I "shove" my assailant away, take a step back as I present my gun and pull my weak hand to the chest, and then fire from retention. In fact, that's probably what I was doing when that pic was taken. The drill can easily be incorporated into moving to cover or a multiple assailant drill.

7. I practice all but if I just let things happen naturally the Weaver happens. Today at the range we went through all types of scenarios, on backs, from a sitting position then stand and draw, from concealment, reverse face then draw and a few others. Gotta be ready for what ever.

8. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

My years my department tried to hammer the isosceles into us. Too uncomfortable for me and I always resisted. Nowadays it's, "get into a comfortable stance". I prefer a Weaver.

9. The isosceles is so uncomfortable to me that I can't describe it.:(

Then I watch Brandon401401 on you tube and wonder how in the world he shoots SO good using it.:confused:

10. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

Weaver is natural to me but the isosceles stance allows me to shoot multidirectional.

11. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Weaver, old school style. Or am I just showing my age? :D

12. MikeV826

MikeV826 New Member

I find weaver more comfortable and more accurate for me but I've been trained to shoot isosceles at the police academy. The way it was explained to us, you want your center mass facing the target because thats wear your vest is. Basically, isosceles will give you the best chance of taking a round where you want it, right in the center of your vest. You don't want to take one under the arm or in the ribs because it will rip right through your torso. If your in law enforcement, isosceles is now the standard. If your not wearing a vest, who cares. Use whatever you're comfortable with.

13. I have never considered it that way (obvioulsy I'm not LE) but it makes a lot of sense. I suppose without a vest the Weaver might be slightly preferrable due to the slightly smaller target it would provide for incoming fire.

14. MikeV826

MikeV826 New Member

armedmissouri,

That's what I said to the instructor. I like the slimmer profile target you make if you're standing weaver. It seems like a valid argument. He insisted you want your vest and trauma plate facing the target. Either way, I really don't want to be on the receiving end of a round, vest or not. I don't wear a vest on my head

15. Vest makers spend a lot of time and money making sure the vest functions in key zones. A vest will function differently based on where it is struck. In the case of multiple rounds it is most effective in the chest area, so it makes sense for LE to use the stance they do.

If you get shot the vest material "bunches" to the place of impact. So if you are struck in the side, it will not be slightly less effective in the chest.

16. Call this sadistic but I've always had this small sick desire to be shot while wearing a vest just to TRULY appreciate the deadly power of a hand gun. Would I actually do it? I honestly don't know but the sick desire is there. :D

The isosceles makes perfect sense for LEO's.

17. MikeV826

MikeV826 New Member

Well Mike.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnkYN_4XZhI[/ame]

Enjoy

18. Yeah I've seen that one before. Not the way I would do things. He was set up for failure.

19. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you took that boy's brain and laid on the edge of a razor blade, it'd look like a BB going down a four-lane highway.

20. Like in the beginning of Kick Ass when nicbolas cage shoots his daughter with a Glock .45 !!

but ya i have been tempted to test my vests beforr.