Glock Firearms banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,160 Posts
I have always craved a Drilling or even better a Verling (4 barreled rifle/shotgun) As for Big game Hunters? I think only one really stands out

Reactions: Surfgent

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I haven’t had my AR very long and haven’t experimented with any other .223 hunting loads other than the Winchester Varmint X. It gets the job done on hogs as long as it’s a well placed shot.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,160 Posts
I never really went toward Lee Dies as the old saying goes ....You get what you pay for! Most of my Die sets were lyman with a selection of Symplex (australian made) for some of the more unusual calibres I owned and shot .22-303 (several versions) 243-303,25-303,270-303,310 Cadet, 240 Myra & 250 Myra and strangely enough a .225 Winchester

·
Registered
522 Posts
Factory load? It is hard to beat Hornady. Deer size game? I find it hard to beat the 6.5 Grendel, but I prefer a bolt action for groceries, I don't know why, So the Creedmoor gets a lot of use for that. I know exactly where either will hit and have never had anything walk away from a hit. I am rather limited on choices thanks to recoil sensitivity.
For 223, and I don't hunt deer with that caliber, but if I did. Gold Dot would be my choice. If I didn't have a rifle that could handle the 75 grain, then the 62 grain would be my choice. Fusion would be my second choice, and that is depending on what the barrel liked.
.270Win, 7MM Remington, and later on 300 WSM, have all preformed above and beyond. Those were my go to calibers when I could tolerate recoil. I load my own.
I have LEE for my Grendel and Creedmoor. Both produce sub MOA loads as long as I do my part.
At some point it becomes the Indian, more than the shaping rock.
Happy hunting

·
Glockin’ since 1993
35,763 Posts
I never really went toward Lee Dies as the old saying goes ....You get what you pay for! Most of my Die sets were lyman with a selection of Symplex (australian made) for some of the more unusual calibres I owned and shot .22-303 (several versions) 243-303,25-303,270-303,310 Cadet, 240 Myra & 250 Myra and strangely enough a .225 Winchester
I’m kind of curious. With Australia’s pretty strict gun control, how hard is it to come across ammo and shooting supplies? Symplex still in business? Do you have much domestic gun and ammo production?
I’ve only seen Australian Outback ammo here along with Australian military surplus but it’s pretty hard to find.
ADD34BE4-BDB8-4F31-A9EA-B8217A9C5AB4.jpeg

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not sure what prompted this. I have been using the same set of LEE dies, trimmers, scales, and priming tool for 35 ish years. I have yet to replace a die. My bud has the 270 set and it is still going strong. I don't recall who ended up with the 7MM, but the 300 WSM is still sitting in the load bench. I did somehow end up with 2 priming tools and it turns out they don't make them any more, or that kind, so I'm happy that happened. I went with them for Grendel and Creedmoor. I get very more than satisfactory performance from the results of these dies too.
The idiot pulling the lever and prepping the brass is where it ends for reloaders.
If I loaded a few thousand 223 or the like per year, I might think different, but pushed several thousand 9MM and 45 from them a year back in the day. Different animal, probably.

Reactions: Old Bloke

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,160 Posts
I’m kind of curious. With Australia’s pretty strict gun control, how hard is it to come across ammo and shooting supplies? Symplex still in business? Do you have much domestic gun and ammo production?
I’ve only seen Australian Outback ammo here along with Australian military surplus but it’s pretty hard to find.
View attachment 237699
We have quite a large domestic base ,starting with ADI (Australian Defense Industries) Powders (a number of which are sold in the US as Hodgens) Lithgow Arms have diversified back from being a military supplier to producing both Rimfire and Centerfire rifles ,as they did many years ago(if their new offerings are half as good as the Lithgow of Old it will be great). There is Bertram Brass who manufacture cases. Winchester Australia also manufactures Powders ,primers ,cases, projectiles and shot as well as loaded ammunition. Yes Simplex is still in production

Not sure what prompted this. I have been using the same set of LEE dies, trimmers, scales, and priming tool for 35 ish years. I have yet to replace a die. My bud has the 270 set and it is still going strong. I don't recall who ended up with the 7MM, but the 300 WSM is still sitting in the load bench. I did somehow end up with 2 priming tools and it turns out they don't make them any more, or that kind, so I'm happy that happened. I went with them for Grendel and Creedmoor. I get very more than satisfactory performance from the results of these dies too.
The idiot pulling the lever and prepping the brass is where it ends for reloaders.
If I loaded a few thousand 223 or the like per year, I might think different, but pushed several thousand 9MM and 45 from them a year back in the day. Different animal, probably.
Personally I have no problem with Lee dies. In the 40+ Years I was a making a living from shooting. I reloaded thousands of rounds of various calibres per year. Hence I prefered lyman and due to the more unusual calibres I used in my early days in the industry I chose Simplex. I did use a Lee priming hand tool, in preference to several other brands. I also used to love the lee handloading kits. (A) they were simple, (b) they were damned cheap. (C) they were ideal to carry with me when I was developing new loads for new rifles!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts