Glock Forum banner

Favorite Concealed Carry Caliber

9K views 60 replies 42 participants last post by  Flairsr 
#1 ·
What is your favorite caliber gun in general to conceal carry? Go big or stay home or does a .380 do just fine for you mentally to be carrying?

#3 ·
I like to carry the 27 for most outings. However, I do have an LCP .380 that I will take sometimes because I can carry it concealed easier (yes, I carry extra mags for it...)

For me it all depends on what I am doing, where I am going. Since my wife packs also, sometimes I will take the 19 as she can fit the 27 in her purse easy.. And she is proficient with all of our firearms. But usually the 27 is the "go to" gun for most outings for me (especially in the winter when we can wear coats, sweaters, etc..)

#7 ·
I prefer the .40S&W because the ammo is readily available nearly everywhere that sells ammo plus most firearm manufacturers offer guns in .40. The felt recoil is practically the same as a 9mm but you get a little more energy from the .40.

#12 ·
I certainly don't feel undergunned with 9mm GDHP. Nothing wrong with .40 or .45.

.380 seems a little underpowered in penetration and expansion tests, but I'm plenty comfortable using it as a BUG.[/QUOTE]

Good point, but for summer use against light clothing, placement and ammo like Hornaday's Critical Defense will do the deed just fine. Just remember, right or wrong, you pull the trigger away from the range, you're in for long term change to your lifestyle.

Without witnesses, even a LEO goes through the grinder for an off-duty shooting. And a lot of times that includes suspension and loss of pay. Hard on the shooter; harder on their family.

Gun ownership carries a strange and huge responsibility with it. We practice for years, throwing thousands of rounds and money downrange hoping deep in our minds and hearts that we never have to pull that trigger, once, against a human being.

#13 ·
5.7 is what I generally carry.

But just picked up a LCP I'll probably take on runs and nighttime walks.
Great little gun. Take some time on the range with it. It's got a long trigger pull, but it stacks up nice like on old S&W revolver. Because of the short site radius, don't be discouraged by it's accuracy. It's a gun that will "work itself in" and as you get used to where to hold the front site on the target, you'll get a lot better accuracy.

Tip, I used some of my daughters neon pink nail polish on the front site. Went out the next day for my dept requals and outshot most of the peeps on the off-duty. (NJDOC does not require off-duty carry, ergo, all off-duty weapons are privately owned and the ofc. must be qualified with his weapon to carry it.)

My dept authorizes up to two off-duty weapons. I carry a G36 .45 in the winter and the LCP in the warmer weather. When I travel interstate, it's with the LCP.

#14 ·
I'd love it though, if ol' Uncle Gaston would come out with a single stack 9mm or .380 ;)

#15 ·
9mm

I prefer 9mm because that's what I practice with and I am getting proficient in its use.... I used to have the philosophy to practice 9mm carry .40 but the .40 seems way different know so I just carry my G27 with a Lonewolf 40-9 barrel

#21 ·
Don't freak out on me but..

I just picked up the sig sauer p250 2sum in 40 cal for 599. So far I'm really impressed. You get a full size and sub compact frame and slide with interchangable guts so you can swap from one size to the next easily. Love mt glock 22 but this adds a whole new dynamic. Anyone interested should seriously give it a look. They also have a swap out kit, x-change I think its called that lets you swap out to different calibers. I haven't,researched it uet so I don't know the specifics on it.oh, I can also just get my pinky on the sub frame without and estender.

#22 ·
G29 is my EDC when I'm not wearing work clothes.
My 29SF has been my EDC for the last couple of years. Excellent gun!

I prefer 9mm because that's what I practice with and I am getting proficient in its use.... I used to have the philosophy to practice 9mm carry .40 but the .40 seems way different know so I just carry my G27 with a Lonewolf 40-9 barrel
Personally, I wouldn't carry a caliber conversion like that. There are differences in the extractor and I just wouldn't want to trust my life to it. If you're going to carry 9mm anyway, a G26 trade might be best. YMMV.

Try a lower grain .40 like a 155 or even a 135. difference between that and a 147 9mm HP is very little.
I carry the 155gr when I'm carrying .40s. The 135gr HPs that I've seen are marked "low recoil" so they may be a good option vs. carrying a conversion to 9mm, but personally I don't see the point of reducing the power of the .40 that much...might as well just stick with the 9mm at that point.

#23 ·
I would never depend upon a 380. Although, if that is all someone is competent and skilled to shoot, it's better than nothing. Massad Ayoob recommends service pistol calibers 9 mm, 40SW, 45, 10 mm, 357. My favorite CFL caliber? The 45 ACP in a Glock 30. I conceal carry my Glock 27 in 40 SW.

#24 ·
I have always been a 9mm fan. I will say that any weapon is better than no weapon at all. If it means I use a .22, thats fine, I just have to be a darn good shot!

9mm for me seems inexpensive enought that I practice regularly. Better that than having a gun I can only afford to shoot a few times a year.
I like Hornady's critical defense, but I also have a whole clip of 115 grain JHP as a backup.

#25 ·
I have always been a 9mm fan. I will say that any weapon is better than no weapon at all. If it means I use a .22, thats fine, I just have to be a darn good shot!

9mm for me seems inexpensive enought that I practice regularly. Better that than having a gun I can only afford to shoot a few times a year.
I like Hornady's critical defense, but I also have a whole clip of 115 grain JHP as a backup.
You should think about carrying them in a magazine instead. By the time you got done loading the magazine from the clip, an attacker could probably beat you to death with your own handgun. :D

#26 ·
im a big fan of xd45acp13+1 but it is a bit harder to conceal then the sub compact guns
i had been carrying a XDSC40 for a few years till i bought my FIRST glock 20

i have been carrying this G20 now for a few months it is a full size and the holster i picked it conceals as nice as my xdsc40 but lighter and im liking the 15+1 10mm a lot,

still need to learn the glock it has a little different feel then my XD's

range day today to help with that

ps: lcp in a wallet holster most all the time;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.