Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just curious of some cleaning kit options or things that you are happy using...I have been using an Otis kit and was looking to see if I am missing out on something better...

Thanks

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jmoyer! Enjoy!

·
Banned
1,000 Posts

·
Awesome Member
34 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
For my Glocks I just use the Glock supplied rod and Nylon Bore Brush and a Toothbrush! Oh and Hoppes #9:eek: or Break Free (CLP) Been thinking of getting a bore snake. We used them when I was on our SWAT Team (Except Sniper Rifles) and they were nice for quick cleans!

Oh and Welcome to the forum!

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Can't say as I have a favorite kit. In days gone by when you purchased a gun, it came with it's own, so after a few years they add up. And you have all different ones too, shotgun, pistol, rifle. So they add up. I do have lots of brushes, like artists brushes, toothbrushes, small paint brushes, and some of my favorites are spraygun cleaning brushes for automotive refinish guns. They come in dozens of sizes, some on rings, like allen wrenches. And pipe cleaners too, big fuzzy ones, & standard size, they all come in handy at some time. It all goes in a big flat rubbermade tub, and when I die, someones gonna say "What the hell did he need all this for"? It just adds up.

Welcome to the forum. Good Shooting

·
Beak 'em Hawks!
74 Posts
Can't say as I have a favorite kit. In days gone by when you purchased a gun, it came with it's own, so after a few years they add up. And you have all different ones too, shotgun, pistol, rifle. So they add up. I do have lots of brushes, like artists brushes, toothbrushes, small paint brushes, and some of my favorites are spraygun cleaning brushes for automotive refinish guns. They come in dozens of sizes, some on rings, like allen wrenches. And pipe cleaners too, big fuzzy ones, & standard size, they all come in handy at some time. It all goes in a big flat rubbermade tub, and when I die, someones gonna say "What the hell did he need all this for"? It just adds up.

Welcome to the forum. Good Shooting
Ha ha. Me too. I just bought a basic set then added my own stuff to it. Now it looks like the junk drawer in the kitchen. Can't hardly tell what it once was when I moved it all to a tupperware thing.

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
Ultrasonic cleaner. Nothing beats it!
Show off!! :p:p:D:D:D

I put my own together. I use 91% isopropal alcohol, qtips, cotton patches, CLP, Hoppe's #9 solvent (for the really thick GSR and barrel fouling) and Hoppes drip on oil.
Can clean just about anything with this kit. Only thing I'm missing is an ammo can to put it all in....this shoe box is getting kinda beaten up.:D

edit: forgot the copper grease one of the members sent me. I have 4 syringes full.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ultrasonic cleaner? Can ou give me an example? Are you just dropping you barrel in this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How would these cleaners do with Lead? For example, I go to an indoor range that requires lead only. I am concerned about all the warnings related to putting lead thru a Glock. It would be great of this would help with this as I would love to get more range time.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
How would these cleaners do with Lead? For example, I go to an indoor range that requires lead only. I am concerned about all the warnings related to putting lead thru a Glock. It would be great of this would help with this as I would love to get more range time.

Here is what the back of the cans of Ballistiol reads:

FIREARMS: Cleans & dissolves traces of copper, lead, brass, zinc, & tombac. Lubricates & prtects firearms, lock, stock & barrel. Forms a film that protects against rust. Will never gum-up or harden. Ideal for pistol grips, & rifle stocks.

BLACK POWDER: Dissolves black powder residues. Emulsifies with water. Mildly alkaline, neutralizes acids. Excellent patch lube.

All so good for leather, knives and tools, and marine use. Can all so mix it with water to clean corrosive ammo residue.

As for lead threw a glock, it would be a very good idea to get an after market barrel to use lead rounds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
Ultrasonic cleaner. Nothing beats it!
I just watched about 20 videos on cleaning guns in an ultrasonic cleaner and I would like to purchase one. But what I don't know is, how much of the glock can I put in there? The whole thing?

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
I just watched about 20 videos on cleaning guns in an ultrasonic cleaner and I would like to purchase one. But what I don't know is, how much of the glock can I put in there? The whole thing?
Don't see why not...I would fully dissaseble and put the parts in. I also suggest using compressed air to blow out the frame and make sure ALL the water is out of the nooks and crannies of the slide before reassembly.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
RRoss said:
Don't see why not...I would fully dissaseble and put the parts in. I also suggest using compressed air to blow out the frame and make sure ALL the water is out of the nooks and crannies of the slide before reassembly.
Yep. If it works on lead fouling, a
Small
Ultrasonic and a 1gallon compressor are the next purchases. Tired of scrubbing 4 pistols everytime I go to the range or give a lesson.

If only I could have a mosin siZed cleaner.... One can dream.
D

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
.....Tired of scrubbing 4 pistols everytime I go to the range or give a lesson.....

Well if they 4 are all glocks, you really don't need to clean them. They will run dirty for 1,000's of rounds with no issues. lol :p

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I had a buddy that owned a radiator shop in town. Used to dismount the barrel & actions & hot tank them over night. They came out all sparkley.

Too bad they don't actually fix radiators anymore. I miss his tank.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Ultrasonic cleaner? Can ou give me an example? Are you just dropping you barrel in this?
I clean all my pistols using ultrasonics, the entire gun.

Completely disassemble the firearm and clean with the u/s, then force dry with compressed air (very important!) then relube and reassemble.

CAUTION though, i had a tritium night sight have the glass pellet break on one rear sight insert of my Beretta, and on my Springfield XD's painted rear sights, both dots came out.

Other than that, never had problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts