Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Remington

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 29.0%
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Registered
743 Posts
I feel like my youngest boy will have a room just like yours in the pic someday.
I certainly hope he does, and I encourage him to do so! Music is the best.

In the meantime, I found this youtube video by Chris Baker of lucky gunner, which is very insightful, and confusing at the same time as well. I'm still confused, but at a higher level. :)

· Registered
97 Posts
Best Ammo Brands for Plinking, Accuracy, & Self-Defense

Article Here

Some light reading and a Poll is included. Comments are always welcomed.
I like Norma 115gr for practice. Winchester 115gr was recommended by a Glock Armorer at one of my GSSF shoots a few years back. That was my go to until it got so overpriced!

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,492 Posts
I like Norma 115gr for practice. Winchester 115gr was recommended by a Glock Armorer at one of my GSSF shoots a few years back. That was my go to until it got so overpriced!
I remember when Winchester white box was considered bottom shelf ammunition. Now you’d think it was top shelf.

· Premium Member
10,882 Posts
I remember when Winchester white box was considered bottom shelf ammunition. Now you’d think it was top shelf.
Slightly better than steel cased but barely.

· Registered
3 Posts
For defense, reliability is consideration #1 and accuracy is #2. For practice, I try to duplicate the ballistics of the defensive load (same weight, same velocity, same or similar ballistic coefficient for same POI/POA) with similar accuracy. That way if I someday have to make a shot, I’ll have a better chance.

· Premium Member
15,206 Posts
I certainly hope he does, and I encourage him to do so! Music is the best.

In the meantime, I found this youtube video by Chris Baker of lucky gunner, which is very insightful, and confusing at the same time as well. I'm still confused, but at a higher level. :)

He is one of those naturally talented musical people. It blows my mind sometimes! He currently plays the piano, keyboard, trumpet, & guitar. Sorry for taking it off topic, but a Dad’s gotta brag.

· Registered
743 Posts
Back to ammo, per the advice of you Old Wise Men, got me a box of Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain at my FFL today (and 10 boxes of my trusted range ammo, S&B 124 grain FMJ). My FFL had several different brands, I asked him for recommendation, he mentioned some pros and cons and said these are good. I trust him so that's what I went with. I'm going to try this with my Glock 17. Probably going to work fine, and assuming it does, I'll get a couple more boxes. I paid $34.75 for a box of 25 rounds, which is more than twice for what I pay for the S&B practice rounds. On top of that comes roughly 8% sales tax and $1 background check processing fee. This is California, everything is mucho expensive here.

Office equipment Musical instrument Toy Font Metal

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Back to ammo, per the advice of you Old Wise Men, got me a box of Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain at my FFL today (and 10 boxes of my trusted range ammo, S&B 124 grain FMJ). My FFL had several different brands, I asked him for recommendation, he mentioned some pros and cons and said these are good. I trust him so that's what I went with. I'm going to try this with my Glock 17. Probably going to work fine, and assuming it does, I'll get a couple more boxes. I paid $34.75 for a box of 25 rounds, which is more than twice for what I pay for the S&B practice rounds. On top of that comes roughly 8% sales tax and $1 background check processing fee. This is California, everything is mucho expensive here.

View attachment 282361
the critical duty is good but can over penetrate as it is meant to pass the fbi barrier test. Deff better than fmj. Just make sure you save enough rds for one mag and then shoot the rest for function testing

Rectangle Office ruler Font Slope Parallel

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Number

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,492 Posts

View attachment 282361
Can you order ammo online? That’s crazy high for that ammo.

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Finally the .45/ 9MM debate was solved in a Gentlemanly Manner
In 2014 at the Indoor Range in Torrance, CA. My wife was shooting a Colt Gold Cup (45) and I was standing behind her coaching. The young couple two booths to our left had just finished shooting. But the Glock 19 Gen 3 still had a Remington 115 FMJ in the chamber. He stepped out of the booth and shot me below my left nipple. The bullet entered, bounced off my rib and exited. I thought I was punched but I didn’t move an inch.

So now it’s my turn to shoot him with a .45 but he didn’t want to finish the duel. I went to the E.R. They put a band-aid on it and sent me home.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
In 2014 at the Indoor Range in Torrance, CA. My wife was shooting a Colt Gold Cup (45) and I was standing behind her coaching. The young couple two booths to our left had just finished shooting. But the Glock 19 Gen 3 still had a Remington 115 FMJ in the chamber. He stepped out of the booth and shot me below my left nipple. The bullet entered, bounced off my rib and exited. I thought I was punched but I didn’t move an inch.

So now it’s my turn to shoot him with a .45 but he didn’t want to finish the duel. I went to the E.R. They put a band-aid on it and sent me home.
very lucky! Someone was looking down upon you that day. A good thing it was a fmj. The range should of confiscated their gun and not given it back, if it was loaded after they were done shooting it should have been holstered on the body or unloaded, no other way

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Can you order ammo online? That’s crazy high for that ammo.
Well, you can buy ammunition out of state, but to bring it into California, you first have to ship it to a licensed California ammunition vendor so they can perform a background check and hand your ammo back to you. The law does not limit the fee the vendor can charge for this service.

I’m a reloader so I can still order components delivered to my house.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts