Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Remington

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 29.0%
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
The reasoning is money. Hollow point is much more expensive than FMJ, and I am not allowed to carry until I get a permit which could take at least another year because I am in Alameda county.
Whats your life worth, the cost of a good defense ammo is negligible. Why not invest $75-100 in finding a defensive round that feeds reliably? The whole point of self defense is to stop the threat. Defense ammo will do a much much better job of stopping someone than FMJ. You take someone that is tweeked out on drugs and theres a good chance that FMJ may not stop them unless you directly hit a vital organ. Im not saying FMJ isnt effective but theres almost no reason to not have defensive ammo in your mag, hell you can buy 50 rds of hornady critical defense for probably $50-60. Set aside enough rounds for one mag full for defense and then shoot the rest for function. Also with a defensive ammo the quality control is usually stricter which ensures greater consistency from round to round. If all i had was FMJ i would use it in a emergency but when defensive ammo is readily available usually for .70 cents to $1.25 a round its worth the price and piece of mind. Remember, the whole point of defending yourself is to stop the threat or threats as quickly and efficiently as possible.

· Grumpy Old Man
11,481 Posts
ADI is good stuff. I loved the 69 grain 223 when we could get it. Haven't seen it in a while, and not sure any holds up to the old stuff we got.
I used to swear by winchester brass but they stopped manufacturing it in Australia ! I feel the quality dropped off
The reasoning is money. Hollow point is much more expensive than FMJ, and I am not allowed to carry until I get a permit which could take at least another year because I am in Alameda county.
What price do you put on your safety and life? There is a big difference between punching holes in paper and a defensive round ! Although it's a different scenario, in my Dangerous game rifles I practice and plink with cast solids but when I go after Camels it's hollow point or controlled expansion everytime

· Registered
743 Posts
Whats your life worth, the cost of a good defense ammo is negligible. Why not invest $75-100 in finding a defensive round that feeds reliably? The whole point of self defense is to stop the threat. Defense ammo will do a much much better job of stopping someone than FMJ. You take someone that is tweeked out on drugs and theres a good chance that FMJ may not stop them unless you directly hit a vital organ. Im not saying FMJ isnt effective but theres almost no reason to not have defensive ammo in your mag, hell you can buy 50 rds of hornady critical defense for probably $50-60. Set aside enough rounds for one mag full for defense and then shoot the rest for function. Also with a defensive ammo the quality control is usually stricter which ensures greater consistency from round to round. If all i had was FMJ i would use it in a emergency but when defensive ammo is readily available usually for .70 cents to $1.25 a round its worth the price and piece of mind. Remember, the whole point of defending yourself is to stop the threat or threats as quickly and efficiently as possible.
You're probably right.

I found this extensive review of ballistic gel tests of self-defense ammo, very interesting. There are also many youtube videos that illustrate the difference between 9mm fmj versus hollow point.

· Premium Member
3,630 Posts
I don't trust my skills, and I don't have the space for reloading equipment.
It's not "rocket science" and you don't need much room. My space is just 31" x 58" with two progressive's and a single stage (Dillon 550, RCBS Rock Chucker, Dillon Square Deal). The initial investment is amortized every time you pull the handle (for a $400 loader, first round is $400, 1,000th round is 4 cents and so on). Best way to get started is hook up with someone at the range who is an experienced re-loader.

Wood Luggage and bags Gas Machine Tool

· Glockin’ since 1993
51,492 Posts
I’m not an ammo snob. I avoid steel in most guns except my AK’s.
I’ve shot Blazer Brass more than most everything else out of my handguns.
During this last shortage I picked up what I could find at a reasonable price. I refused to pay $19/50 9mm FMJ.
I’ve tapered off shooting most of my guns not in 9mm or .223.
A bunch of never heard before ammo brands appeared in the last couple of years but I didn’t try any as I never went dry on any of my reserves.
I’ve chosen Hornady Critical series as it’s fairly priced good quality defense ammo.
I’ll never reload as I don’t have the space or desire.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
You're probably right.

I found this extensive review of ballistic gel tests of self-defense ammo, very interesting. There are also many youtube videos that illustrate the difference between 9mm fmj versus hollow point.

LG is a decent comparison site for expansion. They don't use proper gel or procedures, so be careful with that. They even admit.
Try Shooting the Bull or a few others that put in the work. STB or ammo quest, I think It is, is probably one of the better, just listen to what he gripes about. Still making a production, so look close. Happy researching.

· Registered
743 Posts
pr, reloading is as easy as pulling the handle....

Thanks.

Yeah, pulling the handle is not too complicated, but there's a lot that proceeds that. You have to have room for reloading presses (which i don't), know what you are doing (which I don't), source the brass casings, get the primers, get gunpowder, and so on and so forth. Given the price point of 9 mm ammo it doesn't make sense for me to even try it.

· Grumpy Old Man
11,481 Posts
For me reloading is the only cost effective way for me to work! I also find it relaxing ! Reloading is not Rocket Science , it's good old common sense! You don't need a lot of space for a small simple reloading setup! As for components .your local gun store will stock them

· Registered
743 Posts
For me reloading is the only cost effective way for me to work! I also find it relaxing ! Reloading is not Rocket Science , it's good old common sense! You don't need a lot of space for a small simple reloading setup! As for components .your local gun store will stock them
Yeah, but my place is already crammed with stuff like this. No room for big machines.

Computer Musical keyboard Personal computer Keyboard Musical instrument

· Grumpy Old Man
11,481 Posts
Yeah, but my place is already crammed with stuff like this. No room for big machines.

View attachment 282078
I see your problem ! Mind you ,I once saw a 8 ball table that had a single stage stage press and a shotshell press fitted to it's edges ! I must admit to being curious but I never asked for fear of the answer ! To say the owner was somewhat eccentric would be a understatement

21 - 40 of 80 Posts