Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Remington

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 29.0%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
1,564 Posts
Plinking-Blazer, or what ever I can get t the best price.
SD-Mostly run HST and bonded Golden Saber in 40, but my 9MM choice thanks to the Rona stampede has been Winchester Ranger LE. 147 grain, and doesn't please many of the on line reviewers, but passes the sniff test for the FBI protocols in all but penetration. 19 inch on average, so the "experts" want to throw it out. Seems to be the stuff nightmares are made of and passes barrier tests so it is a bit different than run of the mill.
124Gr Bonded Golden Saber has a place in my heart as well for the 9.
Speer used to be one of my faves for both calibers I use, but they messed the bed with the G2.

· Registered
1,564 Posts
I'm using a lot of Sellier And Bellot .22 lr as well as their c/f brass ! I use ADI (Australian Defense Industry ) .223 Brass for work
ADI is good stuff. I loved the 69 grain 223 when we could get it. Haven't seen it in a while, and not sure any holds up to the old stuff we got.

· Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... but my 9MM choice thanks to the Rona stampede has been Winchester Ranger LE. 147 grain, and doesn't please many of the on line reviewers, but passes the sniff test for the FBI protocols in all but penetration.
In 9mm I use the Winchester Ranger 147 JHP in my Glocks and my Browning High Power. Some LEOs I know have used it on bad guys with good results. It is one of the issued 9mm rounds the PD I retired from.

· Registered
1,564 Posts
In 9mm I use the Winchester Ranger 147 JHP in my Glocks and my Browning High Power. Some LEOs I know have used it on bad guys with good results. It is one of the issued 9mm rounds the PD I retired from.
Online "Experts" don't always understand real world effectiveness. I threw that in just in case someone decided to look it up and got bombarded with not exactly good info. Most do a decent job, but some are rather opinionated on a subject they aren't quite to speed on. Not knocking most of their work, and some are much better than others, but I'll bet dollars to popcorn that not a single one has seen the real deal.
It makes things come together, even with limited exposure.

· Registered
720 Posts
I like my Sellier & Bellot FMJ 124 grain ammo for range practice, pick up 500 rounds maybe every two or three weeks for around $230 at the local FFL (SF Bay Area, everything is expensive here). Haven't had a single malfunction and I am a new shooter, so that gives me confidence. Once my shooting profiency increases and I get my CCW I'll add hollow point for carry ammunition. I don't reload, I don't have the equipment or space for equipment and I know my limitations. The guys at S&B have been doing this for 200 years, they probably know what they are doing.

· Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I like my Sellier & Bellot FMJ 124 grain ammo for range practice, pick up 500 rounds maybe every two or three weeks for around $230 at the local FFL (SF Bay Area, everything is expensive here). Haven't had a single malfunction and I am a new shooter, so that gives me confidence. Once my shooting profiency increases and I get my CCW I'll add hollow point for carry ammunition. I don't reload, I don't have the equipment or space for equipment and I know my limitations. The guys at S&B have been doing this for 200 years, they probably know what they are doing.
just make sure what ever defense round you decide to go with at least shoot 50 for function testing before you carry it

· Registered
720 Posts
Make sure you plunk test them first.
Thanks, yeah I know. For home defense I don't need anything more than FMJ, without going into too much detail there is only one way to get into or out of my apartment and the backstop is a foot thick concrete shear wall designed to make the building earth quake proof. No worries about FMJ bullets overpenetrating and going through walls and possibly injuring neighbors.

For carry ... well this is Alameda county with a very very long waiting list so I am not holding my breath until I get the first interview. My FFL told me there's a lawsuit in the works against the Sherriff department alleging that they are dragging their heels despite Bruen. I'll wait and see what happens.

· Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Thanks, yeah I know. For home defense I don't need anything more than FMJ, without going into too much detail there is only one way to get into or out of my apartment and the backstop is a foot thick concrete shear wall designed to make the building earth quake proof. No worries about FMJ bullets overpenetrating and going through walls and possibly injuring neighbors.

For carry ... well this is Alameda county with a very very long waiting list so I am not holding my breath until I get the first interview. My FFL told me there's a lawsuit in the works against the Sherriff department alleging that they are dragging their heels despite Bruen. I'll wait and see what happens.
HP or the FTX bullet from hornady wont over penetrate any more than a FMJ so i dont understand your reasoning, i would carry the same round for CC as i would for home defense, with a HP you dont have to worry about over penetrating near as much as the FMJ as they are purposely designed to have maximum expansion upon entry and transfer the energy as quickly as possible. A FMJ is not better than a HP for a defensive round. A FMJ will go right through a person. The HP will do more damage and have a greater chance of stopping the threat.

· Premium Member
10,767 Posts
HP or the FTX bullet from hornady wont over penetrate any more than a FMJ so i dont understand your reasoning, i would carry the same round for CC as i would for home defense, with a HP you dont have to worry about over penetrating near as much as the FMJ as they are purposely designed to have maximum expansion upon entry and transfer the energy as quickly as possible. A FMJ is not better than a HP for a defensive round. A FMJ will go right through a person. The HP will do more damage and have a greater chance of stopping the threat.

This !

· Registered
720 Posts

The reasoning is money. Hollow point is much more expensive than FMJ, and I am not allowed to carry until I get a permit which could take at least another year because I am in Alameda county.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts