Faux wood mahogany glock grip :)

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Ogre, May 3, 2012.

1. Ogre

Ogre New Member

So I always wanted to see a Glock with some wood on it. I'm sure this is heresy to some. :D

[​IMG]

It is 3M Di-Noc Wood Grain Vinyl Wrap found on eBay for 7 bucks. It took 3 weeks to arrive. :( But it don't look half bad IMO. :)

2. Kashoggio

Kashoggio New Member

Just doesn't look right on a glock, it cheapens it IMHO but if you like it who cares. A for effort

3. leadsled

leadsled New Member

ATX
    I think it's pretty cool.

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I don't much like mahogany grain, but that looks awesome. I might have to give that a shot with some cherry walnut or cocobolo

5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

How tough was it to get it cut just right?

6. jln370

jln370 Member

TX
    ditto on that

7. walla545

walla545 New Member

Holy cow! That's awesome! Yes I am easily entertained but I like it! Good work outa you.

8. Ogre

Ogre New Member

It wasn't tough to do. Just have steady hands and patience. I cleaned the surface, cut a rectangle about the right size, peeled and stuck it and worked it on with pressure from my fingers and a cloth. I hit it with a heat gun very briefly and that helps contour to the curves and texture. I used my thumb nail to make it flush and I then cut it with an xacto knife. I then wrapped it in a plastic bag and wrapped that in duct tape and I am leaving it on for the night. BTW, this stuff does not make bubbles. It has microscopic holes, to prevent that, which is very handy.

I'll post a pic of the other side tomorrow after I remove the tape. The vinyl was easily contoured around the glock logo on the grip which still looks nice and with some manipulation it shows all the lettering.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  9. That 3m dinoc stuff is nice stuff. I've used the carbon look version for car parts and little nic nacs.

Nice job man.

10. rodeman

rodeman New Member

Definitely a different look to the Glock once that's applied. I saw the Glock Store catalog had a sidewinder (I think it was) model and they dip the gun in a special coating to get that custom look. Wonder what other interesting styles or looks people have done in the past or would do. Carbon fiber, sand color, etc.

Something else I like about this forum is the politeness of the members. Even if it's not something you like or would do, you are respectful to the poster. I posted a question on an unrelated forum after searching for the answer with no luck. After the 3rd post or so, you get the dude with e attitude saying this topic has been beaten to death and I should search for my answer. Then his buddy chimes in saying thank you. I'm thinking why not just avoid even posting a reply if you are going to tear the guy down over his question. But I don't see that with all of you. Thanks!

11. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with bhale... Not much of a fan of the mahogany but I do like a lighter wood grain....

People need to relax, different strokes for different folks, some will and some won't like it... Your 1911 lovers could go either way with this one

I don't think it cheapens it like one person said, just adds another look and aspect that you're not used to is all... You did good work with this wrap and could find yourself adding it to other members slides later on as a little hobby or extra pocket cash... Either way it's all good and you are talented :)

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  12. Ogre

Ogre New Member

13. scrubber3

scrubber3 New Member

I agree, great job! I'll admit, when I first saw the thread I thought it was a horrible idea, but you pulled it off great.

14. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

So is this a "Woody's" Glock? (Like the old cars) OK Probably wasn't funny:eek: but hey I tried!:rolleyes:
    It does look Good IMHO! Good Job!

15. Glock19

Glock19 New Member

I wonder if there are molds for actual wood?

16. Blades

Blades Senior Member

Pretty cool!

17. NvRBanArms

NvRBanArms Member

Do not like it. Wood n plastic don't mix. Sorry brother.

18. Ogre

Ogre New Member

I believe they said something similar like that about plastic and guns 25 years ago or so. :D It's all good though. I love it. Its fulfilling a little perversion I've had. But in the end its just more plastic. :)

19. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Let us know how well it says on, and is it hard to peel off if needed?

I think this would look cool on another project:cool: