Failure to fire on my reloads

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by waynesigmeister, Mar 21, 2012.

1. waynesigmeister

waynesigmeister New Member

I took my open comp G17 out to the range today to chronograph my ammo. I shot 10 rounds of 125 grain fmj 8.2grains of HS6 Oal 1.135 and had three failures to fire. I then took 10 rounds of 125 grain fmj 8.0grains of HS6 Oal 1.135 and had four failure to fire and had three failure to fire with 7.8 grains of HS6. I am trying to get 9MM major power factor of 170 or better. I am using new Winchester small pistol primers. Upon checking the unfired rounds, they all had powder in them. they had full hits on the primers. My 9mm minor loads of 6.4 grains of HS6 Oal of 1.135 had no problems at all. Any ideas of what happened?

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Just trying to take a shot here....

Did you try to rechamber and fire the misfires? If so, did any fire?

The powder has nothing to do with it, you are just not achieving primer ignition.

Were the primers seated too deep? (and for that matter, what do you use to prime the cases?)

And finally, did you measure you case lengths before loading?

(Stop me if you already know this, but...) Straight-walled pistol ammo headspaces on the case mouth. If the cases are too short, the impact of the FP on the primer may be enough to dimple the primer, then the case moves forward in the chamber, and no primer detonation. COAL does not matter if the case is too short or too long, since the headspace is on the case mouth and not on the bullet itself. And cases too long will prevent (or should) the slide from returning to battery, preventing the gun from firing. It is possible your cases are too short. Was the brass of the same headstamp? How many times reloaded?

Alternatively, you could also check the firing pin channel and striker spring assembly for dirt or crud on it. Do a detail-strip of the slide, check and clean, do not oil.

Also, are there any significant differences in the profile of the bullets you are using? Differences in point geometry, ogive, and so on. It looks like your COAL is uniform, but are the bullets the same length? I know this doesn't matter if the gun didn't fire, but also look at seating depth.

7.8 grains of HS6? ....what velocities were you getting with that one?

Just trying to help figure this one out.

3. waynesigmeister

waynesigmeister New Member

failure to fire

My Glock is brand new and it has the titanimum firing pin assembly which I understand may be the problem. The brass was deprimed and primer holes cleaned by Precision Bullets. I had no problem in seating the primers. Each round was primed then inspected to see if the primer seated ok, then the powder was dropped and checked (I admit that there were several different case manfactures shells used and their overall height changed but I kept the same powder drop and COAL.) I case gauge checked each round before going to the range.

I am trying to get a USPSA powder Factor of 170, in this case, my 124 grain FMJ bullet needs to attain a velocity of 1371 feet per second or greater. This is for 9mm Major.

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Somehow, and I may be totally wrong, I do not think it is the gun.

My reasoning is: identical primers, same firing pin in all cases. Some fired, some did not. So the primer brand is constant, as is the firing pin mass and impact energy, so it must be the ammunition. Powder charge and bullet weight is irrelevant because the rounds did not fire and so these factors do not come into play.

I am still kinda leaning towards inconsistent case lengths (the length of the brass without the bullet, after sizing but before expanding).

Does that make sense?

Man you got me scratching my head on this one!

5. rjrivero

rjrivero New Member

Show us a picture of the primer of the rounds that didn't fire. I think you'll find that you have light strikes on them. Are the "duds" all the same brass headstamp? 9mm Major is hard on Glocks. There is one gunsmith I know who won't warranty his glock race guns for 9mm Major ammo.