Factory Ammo not functioning customized gun

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Babayaga, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Babayaga

Babayaga New Member

Glock 17 Gen 3, Lone Wolf threaded barrel, with Lone Wolf short comp, picatinny rear sight rail, with charging handle and dot sight.

Gun functions flawlessly with comp removed, and thread protector on. With compensator on, slide appears to not have enough recoil energy and smoke stacks the empties.

My question is: Can I put a lighter recoil spring system in this gun with out damaging the gun? And can I use a "non captive" recoil spring system?

Thanks for your time!

2. A lighter RSA is exactly what you need. The tricky part will be finding the right one.

You need to find the right one that will allow the gun to cycle out the old shell, but still have enough return energy to fully push the slide back into full battery lock.

Yes, you should be able to use non-captive springs just fine.

One other thing to try: try removing the charging handle from the back of a slide. That extra weight could be contributing to the problem.

A simpler, but more expensive solution, is to shoot +P ammo. More energy being pushed out the barrel means more energy to cycle the slide.

Good luck finding the right combo.

3. Babayaga

Babayaga New Member

Thanks for your advice. I Bought a couple of boxes of Hornady +P 9mm 124 gr. XTP Ammo. I Shot them all up, and my gun functioned flawlessly with the comp on.

Still going to research the lighter recoil spring idea for less expensive ammo.

Thanks Again for your time and info!

4. 40caljim

40caljim Active Member Supporter

The factory weight spring is 17lbs, so start out with a 14 or 15lb spring.

5. Gandof

Gandof Active Member Supporter

A comp on a 9mm is extremely inefficient until you approach major power factor. That's going to take ammo that's reloaded beyond anything you would buy off the shelf. As you have learned, it takes a lot of gas volume to run a comp. Unless you're building a 9mm major open gun, the comp and charging handle are just useless weight.