Glock Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get the Extractor Plunger Spring onto the Plunger Rod end tip.
It just will no fit.
I do not know the dimensions for the rod tip or the spring to verify dimensions.
Are there any trick beyond trying new springs from another source or changing the extractor plunger rod?
Thanks for you help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but the spring will not slide over the tip/nipple, irrespective of the strength (an turning) I put into it manually.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
WSAR15, welcome to the forum... sometimes getting the spring on to the end can be a bit difficult. I don't know if this is considered a trick or not, but I always hold the rod between my left thumb and index finger where the red arrow is, and the spring with my right thumb and index finger where the red arrow is (after removing the black plastic pin - don't forget to replace the pin afterward!):

The trick I use (and I don't really think of it as any kind of a trick at all) is that I hold the rod tightly (with my left hand), but as I begin pressing the spring onto the retaining nipple on the rod (with my RIGHT hand), I push gently on the spring while at the same time twisting the spring clockwise. If you were holding everything just like in the picture (with the spring on the right), twist on the spring in the direction so that the side of the spring with your thumb travels upward, and the side of the spring with your index finger travels downward.
Doing that makes the spring widen up just a smidge while you are pushing it on. Make sure you seat the spring ALL THE WAY DOWN, just like the picture.
I don't know if I made that clear as mud, probably so. It works for me.
NOTE: after you get it put together and installed into your Glock, check it again after a couple hundred rounds. I've had TWO of my Glocks show the spring beginning to back off the rod after a few hundred live fire rounds. I cured that permanently by removing the spring and crushing the end of the coil very slightly with pliers, then putting it back. The slightly-deformed coil grips the end of the rod a little bit tighter than it did before - zero issues afterward even after thousands of rounds.
I hope that helps. Let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WSAR15, welcome to the forum... sometimes getting the spring on to the end can be a bit difficult. I don't know if this is considered a trick or not, but I always hold the rod between my left thumb and index finger where the red arrow is, and the spring with my right thumb and index finger where the red arrow is (after removing the black plastic pin - don't forget to replace the pin afterward!):
View attachment 249739

The trick I use (and I don't really think of it as any kind of a trick at all) is that I hold the rod tightly (with my left hand), but as I begin pressing the spring onto the retaining nipple on the rod (with my RIGHT hand), I push gently on the spring while at the same time twisting the spring clockwise. If you were holding everything just like in the picture (with the spring on the right), twist on the spring in the direction so that the side of the spring with your thumb travels upward, and the side of the spring with your index finger travels downward.
Doing that makes the spring widen up just a smidge while you are pushing it on. Make sure you seat the spring ALL THE WAY DOWN, just like the picture.
I don't know if I made that clear as mud, probably so. It works for me.
NOTE: after you get it put together and installed into your Glock, check it again after a couple hundred rounds. I've had TWO of my Glocks show the spring beginning to back off the rod after a few hundred live fire rounds. I cured that permanently by removing the spring and crushing the end of the coil very slightly with pliers, then putting it back. The slightly-deformed coil grips the end of the rod a little bit tighter than it did before - zero issues afterward even after thousands of rounds.
I hope that helps. Let us know how it works out!
Thanks Cazbass
I tried with both my sets and even interchanged parts to no avail. There is no way I can get the springs on manually.
I ordered some replacement springs from Lone Wolf, If they also fail then I can conclude the issue comes from the pins.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Thanks Cazbass
I tried with both my sets and even interchanged parts to no avail. There is no way I can get the springs on manually.
I ordered some replacement springs from Lone Wolf, If they also fail then I can conclude the issue comes from the pins.
That's just weird. I'm wondering a couple of things....
1. Are you using original OEM Glock parts? Yes or no.
2. Okay, they won't fit together. Question: were they ever together at all? I mean, was that specific spring mounted on that specific extractor depressor plunger? Again, yes or no.
3. If they were fitted together properly, how did they get un-together?
4. What firearm are you working on? A real Glock or are you building your own with parts?
EDIT - are you 100% positive you're using the right parts? There's a spring used in AR-15's that look kinda like the spring for the extractor depressor plunger. Could you have mixed something up? Something is not right...

There's a lot of info we don't know.

Can you supply closeup pictures of any part of your project?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Cazbass:
The two problematic parts are from two new identical AimSurplus Gen 3 Glock 17/22 Slide Completion Parts Kits - I doubt they are Glock OEM parts. The parts have never been assembled - they arrived last week.
I am familiar with the AR15 parts and there is no parts cross-over or confusion in this case (good point).
I am building two G17 slides - the new stripped slides are from Brownells and will use Wilson barrels.
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Thanks Cazbass:
The two problematic parts are from two new identical AimSurplus Gen 3 Glock 17/22 Slide Completion Parts Kits - I doubt they are Glock OEM parts. The parts have never been assembled - they arrived last week.
I am familiar with the AR15 parts and there is no parts cross-over or confusion in this case (good point).
I am building two G17 slides - the new stripped slides are from Brownells and will use Wilson barrels.
Thanks for your help.
Now we're getting somewhere. That's your problem - the parts you bought are not OEM Glock parts. I would suggest buying original made-by-Glock parts from any number of sources. My personal favorite source is Glockmeister. The rod you want is HERE , and the spring you want is HERE. $7.00 for everything. Boom.
You can also shop for OEM Glock parts at the Glock Store, or The Glock Store, or Lone Wolf, or MGW. Glock's official online store seems to be out of parts just now. Those are a few places, there are others. But get OEM Glock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
And now I will swap out the Channel Liner on which the trigger striker spring catches - good thing I tried it first and bought a couple for Lone Wolf.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts