Extra parts storage?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Shep482, May 24, 2012.

1. Shep482

Shep482 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was cleaning up my workshop/mancave the other day and realized how many extra parts I had. Extra sights, pistol grips, stocks, barrels, spare bolt parts, Etc. I have been putting things in plastic tubs but was wondering what others might use to organize their spare stuff. Is everyone just using tubs and toolboxes? Thanks.

2. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Good ole zip top plastic baggies (various sizes). I also give 'em a shot of Break Free from an aerosol can..coats them to condition and preserve the metal (especially if I'm storing any polished parts).

Z

3. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I use the clear fishing tackle/ lure boxes for having all my small parts together in one spot, some 6"x4"x4" clear boxes from Walmart for bigger parts and extra magazines.

4. Small parts go into the cylinder type breast milk storage containers from walmart. Few bucks for a dozen, they are like large vials with screw on caps. They are organized on the shelves. Large parts go in stackable tupperware tubs.

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Here is what I recommend…
    1) place parts in a ziploc bag
    2) place enclosed parts in a cardboard box
    3) fill boxes and boxes with parts
    4) mail filled boxes to my address….

LOL JK

I just keep all my spare stuff in the garage, usually in tackle boxes or tool boxes… live I AZ so metal parts do just fine without oil. Provided they are locatable and stay dry, its all good.

6. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I like to use the plastic storage drawer units like http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-Cor...office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1337885804&sr=1-1 to hold small parts. I have one unit for parts and one for cleaning supplies.

I also use a couple of plastic drawer organizers like: http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Home-2915RDWHT-2915-RD-WHT-Organizer/dp/B001A3I4FO/ref=pd_sbs_hg_3 to catch parts during take down and to hold them when they are covered in cleaner.

My workspace is actually my basement bar so the rest of my stuff gets put away under the sink in a tool chest or the drawers under the counter top.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Of course, you could take some of those so-long-forgotten items and post them up on the Pay-It-Forward thread....

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I like these. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/7ACO-1.html

[​IMG]

I'm not sure about this particular set, but the ones I have you can adjust the size of each slot. I have two plastic ammo cans that I bought that came with organizers. I got them on sale, otherwise I would've just gone with these and some metal cans.

I have almost all of my stuff in just one can now. I used to keep it all in Ziploc bags. Now everything from spare magazine floor plates to an extra red dot are in the box. Scope rings, hardware, all of it.

9. Shep482

Yeah I did give away two holsters. I'm organizing and sorting and then maybe I'll give something again.

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Well, thank you for your support of the Forum, Shep!

And BTW, those divided organizers Jonm61 posted look real nice for little parts!

11. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I have plastic tool boxes for every type of Gun I shoot. I have one for M1A's one for Glocks, 1911's, Cowboy type guns, Remington Shotguns my Two different Bows. These are just some of my tool boxes filled with gun goodies. I find it easier to just grab a box as I go shooting and know that I will have everything I need for that firearm!

12. Shep482

^^^^ that's a smart idea! A Glock box, AK box etc. Maybe a master for stocks and barrels. Thanks everybody.