Extended slide stop release g36???

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by zim2165, Mar 31, 2012.

1. zim2165

zim2165 New Member

The factory Glock slide release on my G36 is small and difficult to operate so I am going to replace it.
    1. Suggestions on brands?
    2. How much should I expect to pay?
    3. Does this need to be installed by a gunsmith or not?
    4. It if a gunsmith is suggested how much can I expect to pay?

Thanks

2. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

I had one and it was not installed properly. It caused the slide not to lock web the magazine was empty. I don't use the slide stop anyways. However, I reverted back to the original slide stop. I just rack the slide to load it. That's what I do in all of my semiautos.

I don't recommend one. If you must, it will cost $30 in labor plus the part. I do suggest a gunsmith put it on.

3. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Zim, replacing a slide lock lever is pretty easy if you are at all comfortable with your Glock. You will need to get one made just for the 36 like this one: http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/AroTekextrelease/LWD-7496-36BJ17.htm. You may want to buy one online and take it to your local smith if you don't feel comfortable doing the work as few shops are likely to have one for a 36 sitting around.

As for whether or not you need one... That is personal preference. I like the one on my g34 but don't feel any huge need to put one on my 19 right now as I don't really use the release often and the standard release works fine for me.

4. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have huge hands, but short fingers. I find the extended release was perfect for me. I installed the one from Glockstore and it works fine.

5. Glocked

Glocked New Member

$14 - $18 on eBay then watch you tube on how to replace it. It's simple. You can buy OEM glock or Lone Wolf Dist.

6. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

Glock doesn't make an extended slide stop for the G36. The ones you'll find from various retailers are modified versions of the extended slide stop for 9/40 models. Some have reported that they work fine, others that they don't work properly.

For the slide stop, you'll need a 3/32 inch punch like the Glock Armorer's Tool. You push the locking block pin(top pin above trigger) out first, then wiggle the slide stop forward and rearward and up and down while you push out the trigger pin(bottom pin above trigger). Once you have the two pins and the slide stop out of the frame, you reinstall the locking block pin. Then you insert the slide stop into the frame, and insert the trigger pin, again you may have to wiggle the slide stop around to get the trigger pin in.

You must install the locking block pin BEFORE you install the slide stop and trigger pin. Doing this ensures that the slide stop spring goes to its correct position under the locking block pin to give the spring its tension. If you do it in the wrong order, the slide stop spring will be in the wrong position and may be damaged, and you may see the slide lock back with rounds still in the magazine.

Here are some detail strip resources if you need them:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0wDDFV0NY[/ame]

On the following page are some Glock Armorer's Manuals, just scroll down to the "G" section. I learned from the Update Manual and 2009 Manual. The 2009 Manual has a few pages missing, but that info can be found in the Update Manual as well.
    http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012