Extended slide release

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by lonnylong, Jun 30, 2012.

1. lonnylong

lonnylong New Member

Please explain extended slide release?

2. mikecu

mikecu New Member

It is a longer distance from the fulcrum. That creates a mechanical advantage. It also is thicker instead of flat, which allows your thumb to grab it better.

If you always slingshot your slide into battery, then there isn't much advantage to getting one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

3. lonnylong

lonnylong New Member

Is it an advantageous to modify the gun?

4. antek

antek New Member

It's definitely worth it in my opinion.

5. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have big hands but short fingers. I like my extended release.

6. lonnylong

lonnylong New Member

My hand is medium size and slide seems comfortable to use, sounds like if I had a hand like the hulk the slide mod would help?

7. Kmurray96

If you have a long thumb, though, the extended slide release could be a problem. Depending on how you grip your weapon, your thumb coming into contact with the release could cause an unintentional lock-back.

So, as you can see, the extended release comes down to different strokes for different folks.

8. lonnylong

lonnylong New Member

Tx, I am good with current setup.

9. In the first place on a Glock it's NOT a Slide Release, it's a Slide Stop. You pull the slide back to unlock it after a fresh mag has been chambered, you're not suppose to use the Slide Stop to do that job even though many folks who learned on 1911's and older style semis do use it for that.
    That being said, my gun has one because the guy that I bought it from installed it and didn't have the stock parts with the gun when I bought it so I'm stuck with it(like the one on top in the pic) but if you don't have one and use proper technique to drop your slide you won't even get near the Slide Stop so it'd pretty much be a waste of money to add one.
    Nice thing about learning the "Up and Over" or the "Slingshot" is that it'll work for any semi you shoot, you won't have to learn where each and every slide stop is on each and every gun and you won't have to worry about ware and tare on the Slide Stop to the point where it'll stop doing it's job because it's been rounded off by using it to drop the slide. As always, JMHO, YMMV.

10. mikecu

mikecu New Member

You will use it to reload if you are ever in a situation that leaves you with the use of only one hand. I practice one handed shooting and reloading with each hand(still not too good with the left though). The extended is a little easier to push down.

11. Kmurray96

Slide Stop Lever being you want to be so precise.

12. it's the first thing I do to every glock I buy.

13. lonnylong

lonnylong New Member

Do you buy at Glock store?

14. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Like said previously to each his own. I had on on my 19 but took it off because my grip sits almost on top of the slide stop and wouldnt allow my slide to lock back after the last round causing me to loose precious seconds in competition. My wife however likes it on her g19 because she has smaller hands and it makes it easier for her to clear her Glock... And glockstore is a pretty good sight with reasonable prices IMHO

15. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

There is no such thing as an extended slide release. However, there is an extended slide stop. The extended slide stop provides the shooter with a better angle and more leverage when engaging the slide into the open position.

16. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Did I say slide release by mistake... My bad and thanks for the correction...

17. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

You are more than welcome. :D

18. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Oh It was really bugging me that I would make a mistake like that so I had to double check... But there were several people that did so I'm sure your correction stand warranted.

19. Only reason I said anything about it being a "Slide Stop" and not a Slide Release is because I'm kind of OCD about things. If I were a "normal" person I'd have just overlooked it.LOL. :D