Extended Mag Release help.

Discussion in 'Glock Accessories & Gear' started by Dee7976, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Dee7976

Dee7976 New Member

Man, so many Glock questions. But I'm looking to upgrade the glock mag release. I have semi long fingers and enough force but I always see myself breaking my grip just to release a mag. Any suggestions?

2. FYI, anything with the Vickers Tactical name is quality gear...

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

True but it’s hard to stand the guy.

GlockGhost likes this.
  4. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

What Gen are you working with? The mag release on Gen1-3 is different than Gen-4+. For Gen-4 I prefer the Zev version.

5. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

For Gen 1-3 small frame Glocks, just use the $2 Glock 21 OEM mag button. That is what's called extended on the G34/G35/G17L and G24's. It's about 2mm longer. Just emery board off the sharp corners. Oh, just looked, they are up to $5 now....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  6. Jce19

Jce19 New Member

Anyone have any suggestion on a high quality Extended mag release for a Gen 3 G19? Was looking at a Vickers Tactical Extended mag release but have read some reviews that it jiggles a bit and sometimes get's caught up. I at first didn't think I'd need one being my hands are a decent size but I find the stock mag release too be quite small and would like something a little bigger. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

7. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Personally, I prefer the Glock extended magazine catch... especially over the 'screw-on' button type.

Glock Extended Magazine Catch 9mm, .40S&W, .380Auto, .357Sig, .45GAP (Except G42)
    https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/SP01981
    magazine catch 2c.jpg

The stock catch for reference...

Glock Magazine Catch 9mm, .40S&W, .380Auto, .357Sig, .45GAP (Excludes Gen4, MOS, G42, G43)
    https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/287
    Magazine catch 1c.jpg

While the increased length doesn't seem like much, it may be 'just enough'.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Bob

Jce19 likes this.
  8. SixG17s

SixG17s Well-Known Member Supporter

The G21 mag release extends about 2.5 mm beyond the small frame OEM's. Sometimes you want to use an emery board on the corners to knock the edges off. Figured it out after I took one from a G21 back in 93 and stuck it in a G19.

[​IMG]

Jce19 likes this.
  9. I have the Vickers Tactical on several guns and like it a lot, but all mine are Gen 4&5.

10. Jce19

Jce19 New Member

i saw this too on the site, think i'll go with this first and see if i like it, only 4 bucks so why not give it a shot first. Thanks again!!

rbbeers likes this.
  11. rbbeers

You're very welcome! :D

Good luck!

Best regards,

Bob

12. GlockGhost

GlockGhost Active Member

I recently picked up a Blue Label G30S and got the Vickers Extended Mag Release while I waited on my G30S to come in. Once I got it and removed the OEM Mag Release, no kidding, they were the same length. Not sure if I am upset at Vickers products or maybe Glock is making them that same length. Again, in case you misread this, lol, they were the same length. Crazy.

13. GlockGhost

GlockGhost Active Member

Heres another I wanted to post, i picked up the
    vickers extended mag release for my new G30S, GMR-002, and it is the same length, not sure if It is a Vickers issue or maybe Glock is making them that way for the G30’s.

14. rbbeers

What is the part number molded into the Glock magazine catch?

Thanks. :)

Best regards,

Bob

15. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    30s uses the bigger frame with the smaller slide. So I think the Vickers would be extended in a 17/19/26 sized frame but not the 20/21/29/30 frame.
    Yes?o_O

rbbeers likes this.
  16. rbbeers

Here's an interesting thread that describes the evolution of the Glock 'extended' magazine catch.

G20/21 Mag Catch On A G17
    https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/10171-g2021-mag-catch-on-a-g17/

Also, in several threads, Six has commented that the G21 magazine catch is indeed the G17 (et al) 'extended' catch (with a new part number... apparently, to appease IPSC and USPSA).

In post #3 above, Six measured the length of the G17 extended magazine catch (PN #1981) to be 1.24"... which, given that the magazine catch is the same, would be the length of the G21 (and G30S) 'standard' magazine catch (PN #1035) as well.

Vickers advertises the length of their GMR-002 magazine catch...

Vickers Tactical GEN3 .45ACP/10mm Extended Magazine Catch - GMR-002
    https://tangodown.com/vickers-tactical-gen3-45acp-10mm-extended-magazine-catch-gmr-002/

... to be 1.28", which would make it very slightly longer than the G21 catch (by about 0.040").

For a quick visual, 0.040" is about 80% of the rim thickness of a 9mm Luger case... in other words, it's not very much... but maybe 'just enough' for some shooters.

Hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    TheKraken, Danzig and Southlake like this.
  17. Bolo

Bolo New Member

I mounted several oversize releases on my Glocks small frame: Vickers Tactical is really an excellent product I had it 17 gen3 but, I believe that if the problem is maintaining the grip because the fingers don't reach the button, the best choice is a release by Ghost, from the point of view of the overall dimensions it is certainly penalized but it is also its strong point, being so large it is possible to use it without breaking the grip

18. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member

The lower kit I bought for my P80 build from Lone Wolf has an extended release and I hate it. When you hold the pistol and wrap both hands around it (G26) I cuts into your hand. I actually want a original unit.

19. rbbeers

Southlake likes this.