Exploding Glocks

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by pinklady00, May 14, 2012.

1. pinklady00

pinklady00 New Member

Was on another forum and someone posted something about Glocks only being able to use FMJ/JHP rounds because of lead buildup? I'd like some input on this.

2. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

This has been discussed many times. It is not FMJ only. With a Glock barrel you need a jacketed projectile since glock barrels do not utilize traditional land and groove rifling. Hollow points are fine in Glock barrels. (as they are used in every LEO weapon)

I have shot lead through my glocks but they have aftermarket barrels. I also make sure they are clean all the time.

Last edited: May 14, 2012

3. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Lead builds up on polygonal rifling. I think it depends on the amount of antimony in the lead(hardness). I had an issue in an Uzi which has the same rifling as the Glock. There are videos of guys shooting lots of lead through their Glocks. I think it would be better to be safe than sorry and I would run jacketed rounds.

4. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

Exactly what the two previous posters mentioned.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

And since lead bullets are cheaper, and therefore bare lead ammo is cheaper, than regular jacketted (FMJ/TMJ/BEB/JHP) bullets and ammo, many shooters prefer lead ammo for cost for range sessions.

A way around this is to purchase an aftermarket barrel (such as a Lone Wolf, KKM, or any of the others) that have the traditional grooves and landings, and have no issues with lead ammo (but still need periodic cleaning). In fact, a larger caliber Glock (say a .40S&W) can be equipped with a barrel conversion to 9mm, providing the flexibility of shooting cheaper 9mm ammo, shooting lead ammo, shooting lead 9mm ammo, while still maintaining the ability to shoot .40S&W ammo.

No gunsmithing required, too!