Glock Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a friend of mine, Viet Nam Combat pilot friend passed away and I inherited about 250 reloaded 9mm ammo. I poured them into a bag with some factory loads and started shooting. All of a sudden the gun sort of jumped in my hand and smoked poured out the side rails. Being ignorant I loaded up another mag of mixed armor and after a couple of rounds the gun really jumped, kinda blew up. The gun jammed and I can't even rack the slide to eject the casing. I'm wondering what type of 9mm gun did he have that would have been able to handle overpressure loads like that? Any theory, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally I called Glock and they said if I mail it back to them they'll either fix it or sell me a reconditioned or a new one at $300 or $350 respectively.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just my 2 cents...

I suppose you did not inherit any notes on these particular reloads? How many rounds did you think you shot of the reloaded ammo?

I reload most of what I shoot and my first thought was maybe he changed powders and didn't adjust for the difference, or loaded a few double charges without realizing it. Accidents do happen.

Next, the brass could've been worn thin through successive reloading and just ruptured.

Also, he may have been trying for a high pressure load like 9mm NATO and miscalculated, etc.

Likewise, he may have loaded some hot rounds for a revolver, like a sturdy Ruger .357/9mm blackhawk.

Lastly, the primer pocket may have not been tight, allowing gases backwards (unintended direction).

So... The problem with shooting reloads is that you have to believe the reloader knew what he was doing and didn't screw anything up accidentally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, you just hit it on the head. He had a Ruger 357 Nighthawk. I didn't know it would shoot 9mm. In addition it was a true pistol, no double action. Thanks that explains the reloads.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
39,431 Posts
I don’t shoot reloads. I will and have shot remanufactured ammo but that’s from companies I’ve come to trust. I’ve inherited some reloads down the line. Never shot any of them. They sit in case times get super desperate. Hopefully someone will inherit them from me.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Unknown reloads have sent many good guns to a untimely end,if they are not your loads do not shoot them.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Was he by any chance a competition shooter? My USPSA open gun is a custom 2011. The 9mm loads I run in it would destroy many factory guns. For it the extra pressure/gas is needed for the comp to function. I load these way beyond the SAMMI specs.

Beyond that, they are likely just poorly loaded rounds. I shoot almost exclusively reloads. However I will never shoot a reload from an unknown/trusted source.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts