EXO - FailZero - NIBx - Nickel Boron Coating

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Dewyz1100, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

I plan to have a Glock sent in for the EXO coating to be applied to the slide, barrel, and extractor...

Anyone out there have stories about such coatings that they would like to share?

Good or bad, I welcome them... Especially pics!

Thanks!

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

I had only the slide of my G27 done in Cera-Plate II by CCR, also a nickel boron finish. I like it a lot, it's slick but I have no trouble gripping the slide serrations to rack the slide. I've only had it with this plating for a few months but so far there's absolutely no wear from carrying, just the normal wear on the inside from shooting, and it has only worn the plating shiny, it hasn't worn through to steel.

https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f16/my-g27od-ccr-cera-plate-ii-slide-finish-1291/

3. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

Nice color combo!

Why did you opt not to have the barrel coated as well...?

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

I originally had the slide done because it came with a matte black porous finish that wasn't durable at all. I even found some surface rust in the slide internals and I cleaned it out. So I wanted a more durable and corrosion resistant finish.

I've never had any rust problems with the barrel and the finish is quite durable, besides they don't apply the plating to the bore, only the outside of the barrel.

5. nitetrain

nitetrain Member

my 02., I was going to buy a an EXO Glock 17 and backed off after talking to Glock Tech service. Thye said If I send it in and they deem the coatings is causing a malfunction, it will void the warranty.

6. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

Legally, I can see why they would have to state that...

However, I have been in contact with Scott from UTC Coatings and he tells me that EXO is only around four TEN-thousandths of an inch thick...

Gun oil is thicker than that, especially once it has attracted any dust or debris...EXO is supposed to eliminate the need to lubricate in the areas that have been treated...

I would love to hear an official Glock speculation as to how they would determine that this type of coating would cause any sort of malfunction...

Thanks for sharing your experience...

7. nyglock

nyglock New Member

Someone can correct me if im wrong but i believe that glock had certain models shipped to a company called talo. Talo did the nickel boron finish for glock and then shipped them to the distributers. Since glock had talo did the exo finish for them the glocks are still covered by the glock factory warranty. I recently bought a glock 26 exo that came with the nickel boron finish. I absolutely love it. I figured that was the best way to go considering having a gun shipped to a company to do the nickel finish is expensive and have a 6-8 week turn around time according to gt distributers in texas and the gun may not be covered by the glock warranty anymore. Just my 2 cents. just for the record my glock has "nib-x" logo inscribed on the slide

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

If I remember correctly the are multiple companies that do the 'EXO' coatings. I am fairly sure they are covered by the warranty if they came from Glock that way. So far, I think Talo is the only one that came on Glocks from Glock.

Does anyone have a EXO brochure in their Glock Box from Fail Zero?

Just FYI, most that do the EXO coating use UCT Coatings, Inc. Same material, different applicators.
    Here is another thread:
    https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/nib-x-2590/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  9. nitetrain

nitetrain Member

I did a follow up with Glock Technical service, and they said they never had any of their Glocks sent from them to get coated! Every Coated slide was done by a 3rd party. They purchase the pistols, sell them to gun dealers. This is my 2nd time asking, since my local shop has the Gen 3 Glock 17 for sale, like 6 of them! In my past posts, i backed off on buying the G17 coated based on what Glcok told me, and bought a Gen4 19 instead, well in layaway at this point!

10. nitetrain

nitetrain Member

Any modification to any part of the gun, that is not done at the factory is a deviation from the origial design and deemed not covered under warranty, as i was told. Just like a car, if you put a supercharge on the motor and blow it up, the dealer will not fix it, since it wsa not engineered from the factory!

11. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

Yeah...legally it makes sense...

If you were a car company and one of your customers painted over the factory finish with a more durable paint...you would void the warranty on the original paint...

It is a general rule of industry that sure, there is always something better out there for a specific purpose... But for the small percentage of potential customers who want that extra step, it would not be worth it to manufacture every product with that upgrade...regardless of that product being a better solution for the purpose...

I have never had an issue with my Glock that has required the use of their warranty. I would assume that since they set the bar for what is considered a reliable firearm, most Glock owners are in the same boat...

But if a piece in the lower half of the gun was to fail (say the trigger spring), even if the upper components have an aftermarket finish applied, I would like to hear their legal BS excuse of why that spring would not be covered under warranty...

-Dewyz1100

12. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

From what I've heard they will still do warranty service on the pistol, but if they determine that a problem was caused by the aftermarket finish they will not cover it.

13. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

What was the turn around time?

14. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Thanks for the follow up!

15. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

I had only the slide done and if I remember correctly, it was just under three weeks from the day I dropped it off at the post office to the day I got it back.

16. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

Sweet Thank you!

17. nitetrain

nitetrain Member

Well after all my back and forth thoughts on getting a gen 4 19 over the gen 3 nickel boron 17! I went to take my gen 4 out of layaway today, and they just got a shipment of gen 3 19 nickel boron coated! After scratching my head, I purchase my 3rd gen 3 glock!!! It was only $549! Born 1/24/2012!! I know i posted previously that I was not sure in buying the coated glock, but bit the bullet! Tomorrow I will head to the range and have my son send the first round down range!!

18. AverageCitizen

AverageCitizen New Member

There were a few of those guns at the shop where I got my 21 what different about them?

19. vanniek71

vanniek71 New Member

I got an EXO in my shop used a while back, and my mother in law bought it. Honestly the slide was one of the smoother I have felt on a Glock. I was hoping she would buy it and hat eit so I could keep it, but of course no such luck on that front.

20. Dewyz1100

Dewyz1100 New Member

Please report back on your range experience, ease of cleanup, general impressions...and of course...pics! :)