Excited to get my first AR build underway

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by FireGuy4, Jul 11, 2012.

1. FireGuy4

FireGuy4 New Member

My spikes lower finally came in after a 3 month wait. It's the first and only part I've order so far and I think I've already caught the black rifle fever...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. n8tv

n8tv New Member

It's contagious

3. chadsaalfrank

chadsaalfrank New Member

Juat started my first as well! Spikes lower and CMMG lower parts kit. cant decide if I want to go 300blackout or 5.56.....

4. Glocku

Glocku No warning shots here

The black rifle fever sucks..... I'm still sick after dropping around 2 grand on one and upgrades and I still want to upgrade more. Hey ain't nothing like grabbing your weapon and still smiling like its the first time

5. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

That's how it happened to me.. They day I picked up my spikes zombie lower my wallet just hasn't been the same haha

6. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I'd base it of how much you want to shoot. I did mine on 5.56 bit I now want a .50 Beowulf or 300blackout upper

7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

300 whisper and blackout are harder to find and more expensive, but IMO, a much better round in terms of power and versatility. The 300 will probably also hold value better, they are going a good deal higher than 5.56 right now.

I'd have to agree with glocknloaded.......If you are going to shoot alot go 5.56 and youwon't get into your wallet as bad.

8. bhale187

now get ready for a 3 month wait for an upper assembly :eek: The only major online source I've been able to find that has any upper assemblies with less of a wait is palmetto state armory who has about 2 week wait. They make a great upper and very good pricing though, so its good they are actually still keeping up with demand

9. FireGuy4

FireGuy4 New Member

My whole plan for this build was to take it slow and buy a few parts here and a few parts there.. But after getting my stripped lower, I'm ready to break the bank and get everything over nighted! I'll post pictures of my complete rifle tomorow guys.

10. FireGuy4

FireGuy4 New Member

How'd the CMMG lpk fit your spikes lower?

11. Bilge

Bilge New Member

I did my 6.8mm AR build bit by bit over about 18 months. Mostly waiting for parts (for example, the barrel was on back order for several months). Doing it that way gave me time to really plan it out and discuss it with some others that had done their own builds. In the end, it was a different gun that what I originally envisioned, it was better. Additionally, having that time to run ideas past other builders helped me avoid some costly mistakes. Still, in retrospect, I'd probably have built a vanilla 5.56mm upper first. It's so much fun blasting up the range with inexpensive ammo, instead of "BANG...there's a dollar...BANG...another dollar...BANG...another dollar...".

12. chadsaalfrank

chadsaalfrank New Member

It all fit pretty well, the pistol grip bolt was awefully tight.. But went together good!

13. bhale187

DPMS LPKs work great with the spikes tactical too, I've built several AR15s using that combination.

14. FireGuy4

FireGuy4 New Member

Has anyone used an ALG QMS trigger? WOA has a lpk with that trigger group for $80... Just curious.

15. FireGuy4

FireGuy4 New Member

Just finished up my lower...

Attached Files:

16. bhale187

Congrats, lookin good.

What do you have planned for the upper?

17. FireGuy4

FireGuy4 New Member

Thanks man. It's not set in stone yet but I'm leaning towards a rainier arms select barrel and possibly a samson evo rail system from them too...

18. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Looks good! I just built my lower Friday! Now I want to do another! :D

19. FireGuy4

FireGuy4 New Member

Let's see some pics man!