Ex-Marine - Estate Sale - Medals and Helmet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dslmac2, Apr 25, 2012.

1. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Hello, there is an estate sale locally this weekend from an Ex-Marine. Looking through the photos, there are lots of Medals and an interesting Helmet. Does anyone know about the these medals and or helmet??

Attached Files:

2. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Ummm before someone gets hurt...

*former Marine

Looks like some campaign medals...

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting Member

Looks like Pete may have been a Marine pilot...the helmet has a mike for communications.

I see a WWII Victory Medal...(bottom)...the one with the woman holding a sword & thunderbolt in each hand.

In the bottom photo...the one with the two soldiers holding rifles is the Asiatic-Pacific Victory Medal ...meaning the Marine

fought in the Pacific campaigns...

Also see the Distinguised Flying Cross...(top photo)...with red/white/blue ribbon and "prop" on medal...looking like a pilot more now.

Also (top photo)...the boxed medal (paper obscured) with blue/white stripes on ribbon is the UN Service Korea Medal...so he also served in the Korean War.

Extreme right (bottom photo...almost out of pic)...red/white/blue ribbon with plane and ship is the American Campaign Medal

Top Photo in box upside down ( next to CCI cartridge box ) are: "Captain bars"...including US lapel pins.

Give me some better pics of each one by itself and I'll be able to name them all...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  4. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I was hesitating to say exactly what medals they were as I don't know for sure. I would also assume the helmet was for a tanker. Cool little collection, must have done great history to go with it. Any stories to go with the items?

5. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Wow, Nice Work Shooter, That is the only photos on the site, no others of the medals or helmet.

6. SHOOTER13

More descriptions added in post #3 above...

7. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

You sir, are a treasure trove of information. You never cease to amaze me!

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

OK, I admint that helmet has me stumped.

Almost looks like an inner helmet (without the outer shell and visor+visor shield).

Has what I am almost certain is the NAVY/Marine Corps flying wings (pilot's) insignia (wings over an anchor).

Perhaps early Korean War era?

9. SHOOTER13

^^^ That's what I was thinking too...meaning the

NAVY/Marine Corps flying wings (pilot's) insignia (wings over an anchor)...and googles.

...and he has a Korean campaign medal.

10. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Haha. you said Googles.

Thanks so much. See, this is why I brought it to you guys first. I knew it would get figured out quickly.

11. SHOOTER13

Yea...I did didn't I ?! (Fruedian slip )

Goggles...like when I drink beer !