ER visit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ricochet, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Texas
    I had to go the the ER last night. Shocked me when they asked if i had thoughts of hurting myself, or others. I have never been asked that before. Any one been asked that before?

2. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

yes, I told them yes, And I told them if they say they haven;t they are lieing!

3. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Texas
    Well I was honest. I told them no. But that was not what I was thinking about at all last night.

4. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

Hope your ok man.. They didn't ask me that last week when I was there a few days

5. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Texas
    I am good today. I was working on a car last night. Put my hand in the wrong place and bam.. Yello jacket nest got hit several times. I am alergic to them. Took benedryl but started having strange feelings. I now have a script for an EpiPen. Feel 100% better today.

6. TampaBaySean

TampaBaySean New Member

hmmm strange feelings off benedryl . BRB heading to walk greens lol

7. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Texas
    Lmao no I wish thats all it was. It was from the stings. It moved up my arm to my shoulder. Never felt any thing like it before.

8. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

orry I was a smart***. I hope your alright man!

9. Glad to hear youre feeling better ricochet!!

10. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Texas
    Thank you. I am doing great.

11. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

That question is asked to determine if you fit the qualifications of 5150 WIC, which mandates a 72 hour hold (in my state) for psychological testing.

Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code (specifically, the Lanterman–Petris–Short Act or "LPS") which allows a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person deemed to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to him or her self, and/or others and/or gravely disabled. A qualified officer, which includes any California peace officer or paramedic, as well as any specifically designated county clinician, can request the confinement after signing a written declaration. When used as a term, 5150 (pronounced "fifty-one-fifty") can informally refer to the person being confined or to the declaration itself, or colloquially as a verb, as in 'Someone was 5150'd'.
    CALIFORNIA WELFARE AND INSTITUTIONS CODE, SECTION 5150, second paragraph, "... an application in writing stating the circumstances under which the person's condition was called to the attention of the officer, member of the attending staff, or professional person, and stating that the officer, member of the attending staff, or professional person has probable cause to believe that the person is, as a result of mental disorder, a danger to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled."

12. william488

william488 New Member

in Idaho, they ask you that every visit to the er or even the regular dr. visit.
    or atleast up where I am at. or maybe its just me. hmmmmmm. :p

13. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I always answer no of course. And usually add that I'm disappointed with their rudeness, because of course, I still have the right to consider some questions invasive, & inappropriate.

Hope you get better from the Yellow Jacket/ Hornet stings. I get stung all the time around here, hate those things. And yeah, I often consider hurting them, (Yellow Jackets of course).

14. EvilD

EvilD New Member

I'm a nurse, worked in the ER. Standard question.

15. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Oh and ask your doc for a script for an epi pen, it may save your life.

16. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

That's pretty much a standard question these days. If you have any particular "risk factors", certain medical history, taking certain meds, being a Veteran (especially a recent one), and of course if you say/do anything that makes them wonder, then they'll definitely ask, but it's pretty standard now.

17. TxShooter

TxShooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

They ask that at most medical facilities now a days.