Glock Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this today from Brownells. Very interesting read, and I normally hate email advertisements from companies I order from: :cool:

Dear Folks,
Looking back a few months to November 2011, we predicted certain products might become hard to get in 2012. Well, unfortunately the industry currently is having trouble getting ammunition in calibers .223/556mm and .40 S&W, plus many AR-15 parts and some other accessories. So our predictions have happened. No great talent on our part, actually. All we had to do was watch the shelves empty way faster than factories could supply. In fact, now those factory folks are experiencing increased demand, causing delivery dates to be pushed quite a way out there for the most popular, most wanted products. We're still in as great a shape as possible - better than most other sellers because of our supply-chain connections and management. But deliveries to you, our customers, are just not where we want them on all the things we carry and show in the catalog and on the web. Pete and I hate it as much as you do. After all, our entire mission is to get you what you want as fast as possible.

Although at an initial look, it seems again like a repeat 2008’s politically-driven reactive surge brought on by the Obama election, we don't feel that’s the whole story. We think the demand for these calibers and these parts and accessories is quite a bit different – and a lot more sustainable – than that post-election “political bump” we saw in 2008.

Why? Well, basically the marketplace has changed in important ways since 2008-2009. Back then, many new people were introduced to or came back into the firearms market. They were buying AR-15s for fear they may be banned, and handguns of various types for the same reason. Next, the conceal carry movement really caught fire across the United States, and many more new people entered the market for that, too. Now, two to three years later, all those new shooters are pretty much "in the firearms sport", and are enjoying themselves and creating a whole new level of demand for accessories and gadgets to trick-out their favorite firearms from the 2008-2009 purchases.

The conceal carry market rages ahead, getting ever stronger as more and more products are developed specifically for it. Many more people have become concerned about protecting their families and their way of life, and are buying conceal carry firearms. This increase in gun ownership requires greater quantities of ammunition as these new shooters go to the range to practice - and then realize shooting is fun! Therefore, there are more gun owners, who need more ammo. They're not buying it because they fear it might be banned – they're buying it because they have guns they want to shoot, hunts they want to take, and ammo reserves they want to build up. So, this demand for products is not all from "fear" or "reactionary" purchases based on future political possibilities. Folks started out thinking "I need to protect my family and I need a gun to do so", and then make further purchases because "I've got a gun I want to shoot".
In addition, because of recent world conflicts, we find our military’s reserve levels of ammunition appear to be at an all-time low. So the military is restocking, which puts huge additional demands on the civilian ammo supply chain.

Now, with all of these conditions stacked on top of each other - plus a little bit of a political bump for fear of some ban which may or may not happen – we have a "perfect storm" of significantly more demand than the supply chains in the ammunition market and AR market are currently able to keep up with. In fact, it was a perfect storm in 2008, too, but with different events driving it. The effect is the same, tho . . . we can't always have on hand some of those limited-supply products you want!

There is a mighty strong light at the end of the tunnel. Factories are delivering at a much more frequent pace now. We have done, and will continue to do, a much better job of informing you folks about where your orders are, if there is a backorder, when you can expect delivery, and if we have good alternatives when there’s an out-of-stock situation on a product you want. Here at Brownells we will take your backorder, or you can choose to be notified when it comes in. And of course, we won't bill you for the merchandise until we ship it.

Further, we've been around long enough to have super-strong relationships with all of our suppliers, and we work very hard with them to get "head of line" or "big share of shipment" status when they make shipments. Yeah, it can be a crap shoot, but with us at least you're gonna be at the head of any line that is forming for these few hard to get items!!

So, find what you like, get it on order – or backorder if we happen to be out at the moment - and we'll ship it to you just as soon as possible. Reality is, as I write this today, we're actually out of only 3,167 items, only 4.3% of the 72,000+ products we have in stock in the warehouses. And the trend of outages of even those few is dramatically dropping – more stuff coming in every day. So, your chances of hitting a home run with us are mighty, mighty good, even on some of the tough-to-get items.​

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Ya got that today. I hope that's all it is. Glad I'm pretty much set though. Could always use more. I need more .12G ammo.
Ya, people having fun, that's all it is. Nothing to worry about... Heh heh...mmm yeah.
Anyway , got to get back to loading mags.. Er umm having fun at the range.

Remember: Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick search today...no inexpensive complete uppers in stock at ALL the major distributors...
Aimsurplus...been out of spikes stuff for about a month now
Palmetto State...changes by the minute sometimes.
cheaper than dirt...ha ha ha
Brownells...nothing on the low side today...those must be one of the 3,167 items mentioned in the letter.

Now, go to the high dollar sites, and you can find all you want (Troy, LWRC, etc)

Bold Carrier Groups...same thing...though Palmetto State did just get a batch in...price went up a few dollars too. Hmmm, wonder why?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts