Glock Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

· Registered
425 Posts
As I stated in elsewhere in this forum, I'm retired. My daily business doesn't take me too far from home and I don't go anywhere I don't need to. One spare mag for an auto pistol, two speed strips if it's a revolver. If that's not enough, it just ain't my day.

· Premium Member
214 Posts
I don't carry a spare. In a given SC senario you are better off running 90% . If worst comes to worst..the first shot is 99.999% going to work. Make 99.999% positive you deliver a lethal shot. If you jam you absolutely will not have time to put in another mag. If you do...you are shooting when you shouldn't be. IMHO

Too many people don't consider that situations they are likely to get into and what their response is.

GARRIGA is one person on here who does. I have seen this in a number of his posts..kudos.

· Premium Member
15,206 Posts
I don't carry a spare. In a given SC senario you are better off running 90% . If worst comes to worst..the first shot is 99.999% going to work. Make 99.999% positive you deliver a lethal shot. If you jam you absolutely will not have time to put in another mag. If you do...you are shooting when you shouldn't be. IMHO

Too many people don't consider that situations they are likely to get into and what their response is.

GARRIGA is one person on here who does. I have seen this in a number of his posts..kudos.
It's a pistol. There are not a lot of 1 shot drop em dead shots. A lethal shot can take minutes to be lethal also. Just food for thought.

Aside from that. Carrying a semi auto that could have a failed at the worst time ever without a spare mag isn't my idea of a good time.

· Premium Member
5,065 Posts
It's a pistol. There are not a lot of 1 shot drop em dead shots. A lethal shot can take minutes to be lethal also. Just food for thought.

Aside from that. Carrying a semi auto that could have a failed at the worst time ever without a spare mag isn't my idea of a good time.
Agreed. I’d rather have it and not need it, than vice versa.

Even if you get multiple, lethal, center mass hits on the BG, it may not immediately stop him from being a threat. And that’s your goal - stopping the threat from remaining a threat.

I’m fairly confident that exactly no one has ever said they wished they’d had less ammo following a gun fight.

As to the OP’s question, I carry my G19 with 15+1, with a spare G19 mag on my weakside. I pocket carry my BUG LCPII with an 8-round mag, sometimes with a spare 7-round mag in a shirt pocket.

As always, the best gun fight is the one you never have. Be safe out there.

· Load Bearing Wall
4,089 Posts
If you happened to be out on the High Deserts north of Los Angeles in the Fall/Winter of 1968, and had the occasion to cross paths with The Manson Family, you might be inclined to carry a few extra mags after that.

I couldn't begin to advise anyone on what they should carry, especially in an Urban setting I know nothing about. It's got to come down to a realistic assessment of personal threat level. But, a good place to start, might be imagining yourself financially well off, and able to hire an armed bodyguard. How many mags would you like him to carry?

Carnivore Rectangle Grass Felidae Terrestrial animal

Reactions: encee

· Banned
261 Posts
I carry 17 rounds of CorBon 115gr JHP 9mmP +p (1400 FPS) in my G17, and 32 rounds in two spare mags.

My EDC is GLOCK 30 with one in the chamber and a nine round mag for best concealment. My spare is a ten round mag. I have two more in the vehicle. Too much with the extra two mags? Considering many carry a G19 with 15 and one in the pipe plus another 15 spare it seems in totality I'm not being overly paranoid.

What are you carry in total capacity between EDC and vehicle. I'm assuming most would carry one and perhaps two spare mags as EDC.

· Premium Member
2,127 Posts
My EDC is GLOCK 30 with one in the chamber and a nine round mag for best concealment. My spare is a ten round mag. I have two more in the vehicle. Too much with the extra two mags? Considering many carry a G19 with 15 and one in the pipe plus another 15 spare it seems in totality I'm not being overly paranoid.

What are you carry in total capacity between EDC and vehicle. I'm assuming most would carry one and perhaps two spare mags as EDC.
I personally wouldn't count stuff carried in the vehicle as edc; at least not first-line edc. I do carry spare crap in the truck for 'what if' situations, but I can't bring myself to count on absolutely being able to reach it in all situations. Only stuff actually on me is counted as edc stuff; obviously that's subjective and I may be nitpicking semantics.

As far as magazine capacity of my actual carried edc stuff, I carry a G43 with nine rounds and an LCP with seven. If I were in a more populated area (as when in the Galveston area over Labor Day), a higher-capacity primary is the order of the day.

On the "is the two extra mags in the vehicle too much", I wouldn't say so. Doesn't cost much and doesn't hurt anything. From a cost/benefit perspective, imo while there's little chance of them providing benefit on any given day, there's pretty much zero risk or cost in them being there.

· Registered
40 Posts
You can never have too many rounds, money, motorcycles or skill sets!

What anyone else has or thinks should not be part of that plan. Today, the bad guys are striking everywhere worldwide. To think you can forecast in your area when or what will happen is foolish.

Carry what makes you comfortable, and if someone or more than one most of the time, tries to injure or kill you and/or your love ones, which gun, amount of ammo, and/or multiple weapons will do?

Most cops want the smallest, lightest, and easiest to carry gun there is off duty UNTIL they are attacked and wished they brought their S&W 500 instead.

Carry something should be your first thought. What else depends on what you can handle, and handle well. Just carrying is meaningless. Everyone says "I carry" which is tantamount to saying "I wear Pants" so what. What you can do with what you carry is what matters, be it a knife, gun, or a rifle.
Glock 23 Gen 3 , 2 - 13 round mags and a 22 round Glock OEM Mag as a 3rd option.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts