Glock Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Most cops want the smallest, lightest, and easiest to carry gun there is off duty UNTIL they are attacked and wished they brought their S&W 500 instead.
Exactly. I used to only carry my Glock 33 off duty. 10 rounds total. No spare mags. One day after work on my way home I still had my portable radio on. Night shift was all tied up and there was a call of a car driving up and down a road with four people in it and someone pointing a gun at people as they drove past. Lo and behold the car is right there. I call out that I have it and will stop it and to send me someone.

So like an idiot, I drive at the car and block the road. They stop in front of me and I hold them at gunpoint after identifying myself. So I have four guys in a car. Unknown weapons. Armed with only my 33 waiting for backup. Thankfully they gave up and surrendered without doing anything stupid.

After that I switched to my 32. Years later I now carry the 32 and 33 off duty.

· Registered
564 Posts
Are there any reports of a civilian firing more than four shots in a self defense situation? Seems on average that's the max. I keep cycling through the scenarios I'd likely faced based on past experiences and can't think of any. Except for SHTF. Why I ask what others do.

I think your statistics are close. Four may even be high and it depends on the situational environment. Keep in mind an average is normally skewed by outliers (low and high).

That being said, I'd sure hate to be the guy who needed a few more rounds in any scenario.

I normally have 16 rounds with me or 4x the average needed...

· Registered
727 Posts
Stats are just crunching numbers, nothing more. If you are the one in the exception to the stats those numbers won't comfort you in a jam. Most folks think old days and always think about dealing with one bad guy ... today's cowardly bad guys come in packs!

You need enough rounds to get out of Dodge and not engage in most cases, but if three shots are needed and you only have a two-shot derringer you may have a problem, but if you carry two many mags your pants may take a dive at the most inconvenient moment ... hopefully you wore clean undies in such a case!:D

· Registered
117 Posts
The world has changed. Now you have terrorists, active shooters etc. If people were carrying in some of these past attacks then lives could have been saved. Carry as many rounds as possible and always be aware of your surroundings.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Exactly. I used to only carry my Glock 33 off duty. 10 rounds total. No spare mags. One day after work on my way home I still had my portable radio on. Night shift was all tied up and there was a call of a car driving up and down a road with four people in it and someone pointing a gun at people as they drove past. Lo and behold the car is right there. I call out that I have it and will stop it and to send me someone.

So like an idiot, I drive at the car and block the road. They stop in front of me and I hold them at gunpoint after identifying myself. So I have four guys in a car. Unknown weapons. Armed with only my 33 waiting for backup. Thankfully they gave up and surrendered without doing anything stupid.

After that I switched to my 32. Years later I now carry the 32 and 33 off duty.

I'm specifically asking as a civilian. I'm not stopping armed vehicles with four and unknown weapons. I'm hoping other civilians don't either.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think your statistics are close. Four may even be high and it depends on the situational environment. Keep in mind an average is normally skewed by outliers (low and high).

That being said, I'd sure hate to be the guy who needed a few more rounds in any scenario.

I'd figured there be outliers. Just prepping for the most likely. Trying to carry so I can face an army is unrealistic. One extra mag very doable and concealable. Two or more might become more difficult. I guess is all depends on how those carriers attach and space taken up. Objective is to remain undetectable. Last thing I want is to be marked and another possibly try to take my gun.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Stats are just crunching numbers, nothing more. If you are the one in the exception to the stats those numbers won't comfort you in a jam. Most folks think old days and always think about dealing with one bad guy ... today's cowardly bad guys come in packs!

You need enough rounds to get out of Dodge and not engage in most cases, but if three shots are needed and you only have a two-shot derringer you may have a problem, but if you carry two many mags your pants may take a dive at the most inconvenient moment ... hopefully you wore clean undies in such a case!:D

Wasn't even thinking about the additional weight but you bring up a valid point. I'm assuming a good belt would negate that.

Unfortunately, reality of facing more than one assailant is that it may not matter how much you carry. There might be a point of diminishing returns.

· Registered
41 Posts
You don't need to carry a dozen magazines. In reality it's unlikely you'll have to reload during a gunfight.

1 or 2 spare magazines is plenty, if you carry more than 2 magazines consider carrying a 2nd gun not another magazine..

Consider carrying a tourniquet and some gauze.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
I'm specifically asking as a civilian. I'm not stopping armed vehicles with four and unknown weapons. I'm hoping other civilians don't either.
Similar situation applies to you and everyone else.

You're stopped at a light one night, minding your own business. You get bumped from behind. What's your first instinct? ***? You get out to check the damage.

Two or more guys get out and want your car and may hurt you and/or your family. There you go. Your one gun against unknowns. Is it enough?

We're seeing more and more car jackings in our area. We had three in the span of an hour.

· Banned
50,339 Posts
I just kind of go on how I think where I will be might be that day. It is usually at least My G20 with an extra Mag. with me in the car and the Sig 938 with an extra mag on my side with an extra mag in my pocket. But if I know it's a known bad area or a lot of bad stuff has been going on and being white in a car at night might make me a target I have a bag I keep a .357 with a box of 50 rounds in it and a Ruger Super Redhawk with 50 or so extra rounds of 454 casull in the bag as well i'll keep in the drivers side between my legs on the floor. Occassionally I'll even have an AR or my shotgun with me too. If I'm headed to camp its I assure you I will outlast most anyone Ammo and gun wise........:D But that's just me:usa:

· Premium Member
15,206 Posts

You're stopped at a light one night, minding your own business. You get bumped from behind. What's your first instinct? ***? You get out to check the damage.

Two or more guys get out and want your car and may hurt you and/or your family. There you go. Your one gun against unknowns. Is it enough?

We're seeing more and more car jackings in our area. We had three in the span of an hour.

My first reaction would be to get out. I got caught in my car in bad situation once. Would have never thought of carjacking scenario. Good input!

· Registered
41 Posts

Even if you're carrying say a Glock 26 with a 15 or 17 round reload facing multiple assailants, someone is going to be dead or incapacitated before you get through all your ammunition.

I hope you take good training so it's them and not you.

· Registered
191 Posts
EDC is a 640 J Frame with 5 rounds of 357 Mag. Another 12 in the opposite side carrier.
Occasionally, I will CCW my Gen 4 model 32 with 14 rounds of hot 357 Sig and 2 additional magazines on the opposite side to balance it out.

· Registered
2,882 Posts
Then I'm not looking paranoid with three spare mags in the vehicle or one as carry. Ordered a single carry mag holder because couldn't find dual but might try to find a solution to carry two spares if others seem to go that route. Bette to have then not. Just don't want to make LE wonder why I'm so armed.
Any LEO that you meet will be just as armed as you are or more. You do what works best.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts