duracoat...

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by shiflet, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiflet

shiflet New Member

So I was looking for some info on duracoat. Haven't done any research really. I was wondering if there were and websites you have found helpful in understanding more about it? Also if you would recomend anyone in AZ (Phoenix area preferably). Also what are some general price ranges I should be aware of?? Thanks!

2. Price will depend on what you want. I do duracoating, so do some other people here.

3. shiflet

shiflet New Member

What are some general prices?? Slide? Frame??

4. Assuming a basic two tone (for example, say you want the slide OD Green and the frame coyote tan) I would charge you $75. If you want both the same tone, $60. If you want the frame painted and the slide polished, $100. If you want just the slide or just the frame painted, $50.

Others may be cheaper, some will cost more.

5. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Is duracoat similar to powder coating? As in the finish is baked on? How thick is the material when finished?

6. chris

chris New Member

I have question on this subject. I bought a g23 used. It has a slick feel on the slide. My new g19 and new g27 are a rougher texture. Did the old owner do something to it or did glock have both? Thanks.

7. Duracoat does not require baking. Powder coating is a free flowing powder, Duracoat can be sprayed on or rolled on. If you want a specific thickness, I can't give it to you. I can tell you it is tough as nails and even after years of abuse holds it's finish.

Who knows. Could be wear, could be oil, could have been resprayed, etc.

8. chris

chris New Member

Thanks for info!

9. Anytime, let me know if you ever want to do something with it :)

10. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Ya thanks nukin! Im familiar with powder coating. This duracoat, ceracoat stuff is new to me. Hey by the way are u on a Honda fourwheeler forum?

11. I don't think I am, but don't quote me LOL. Not in the last like, two years. I used to be huge into the LTR-450 forums and I was on a few Honda ones when I was racing my 400EX and then my 450R so I probably was at some point.

Anything recent is a copy cat, I have been out of the ATV game for a few years now. I'm more of a Polaris 4WD guy now. Makes me feel old.

12. shiflet

shiflet New Member

Would it be possible to duracoat a rifle barel? Or would that effect performance??

13. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Thats cool I ride a Honda 450R, and Ur screen name seems real familiar to me from trx450r.org just curious.

I want to get my G17 frame done in a od green or sniper green like that G27 I seen on here.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  14. OD Green is a popular one. And that website sounds familiar.

As for a rifle barrel, it can and has been done. You will most likely never get the barrel hot enough to harm the duracoat.

15. shiflet

shiflet New Member

So the coat isn't thick enough to effect the gap between the stock and the barrel

16. I have never done one, so I'm going with what my thought here is. Any amount of duracoat would affect that, so it would be my impression that you would want to do some very fine taping of the barrel in that area and not spray that area. The other option would be to spray the whole thing, lightly in that area, and then sand it down to tolerance.

That one requires some research, as nobody has asked me to do a barrel yet.

17. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

Do you have any pictures of some OD stuff you have done?

18. shiflet

shiflet New Member

What kind of airbrush do you use?

19. Here's one I did for my boss's son. It's an XD and from two years ago but it's one I have on this laptop.

Attached Files:

20. Sometimes I don't, imo some of the colors just look better when they are brushed on. That OD I just posted was a brush on. When I do spray I use a Paasche, originally for air brushing. That is mostly with the light colors like pink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.