Dryfire Training devices.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by j102, Jul 12, 2020.

1. John in AR

John in AR Well-Known Member Supporter

Possibly; haven't tried it. When it's zoomed in, it registers all shots fine, so I've just been going with that.

2. John in AR

Fwiw, the other laser cartridges showed up yesterday afternoon. For the most part they work fine, but there are a couple quirks. The firing pins of a couple of the revolvers say in the extended position when you fire, instead of momentarily poking their head out as a lot of guns do. The Uberti 45LC and the Taurus 450C both do this; the Taurus firing pin staying out like an old-style S&W does (and keeping the laser lit in this case) until you release the trigger, and the Uberti being an old-school 1873 clone, the firing pin stays out even after you release the trigger, until you begin to cock the SA hammer. I knew this, but hadn't considered it until playing with them last night.

One good thing is that the different-brand 9mm cartridges are slightly shorter and will fit in the 986 chamber & let it rotate. They occasionally don't activate in the 986 though. It looks like an issue with excess space between firing pin and 'primer' activator; I expect because the 986 is meant for moonclip use, and the laser cartridge has no rim since it's made to run in a semiauto with the slide potentially being constantly racked to reset the trigger. So with no rim, you can't use a moonclip on the laser cartridge.

Overall still very happy with the setup.

Danzig likes this.

3. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

DryFireMag received the defective magazine yesterday and I just received an update, which includes the following...

Your DFM was received into the shop yesterday afternoon. After inspection, it was deemed not up to the construction standards we aspire to; and a brand new mag is being shipped your way today.

In regards to the steel reed, as with any steel; we receive reeds with varying characteristics due to the alloy process itself. We really have no way of testing the suitableness of each piece before using it; so the best we can do is make it right if early failure occurs, which it sometimes does.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

DryFireMag 1.jpg

So far, so good. We'll see... ;) :D

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    mattm, RevV and Danzig like this.
  4. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

That could be concerning. Perhaps they are not expecting it to last more than a year (1 year warranty) or are not expecting people to do thousands and thousands of dryfire tests.
    An opportunity for you to improve it and do a deal to make a couple of dollars on every mag sold.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  5. rbbeers

My guess is that they're expecting the mean time between failures (MTBF) to be about two years with 'average' use (whatever that is) and that my usage is FAR above average.

So far, their customer service has been excellent and (I'm assuming) intended to address the 'occasional' defective magazine and keep 'above average' users happy.

I'm also assuming that they've accepted the current failure rate (whatever that is) and attempt to mitigate 'issues' with good customer support.

In reality, the R&D costs of developing a better spring could easily run into 10's of thousands of dollars... a financial burden they're probably not willing to entertain.

Simply stated, it's a matter of minimizing costs and maximizing profits, while maintaining acceptable sales and growth. ;)

All that said, I'm very curious as to how long the replacement magazine lasts.

We'll see. :)

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    RevV and Danzig like this.
  6. John in AR

Is the leaf spring a user-replaceable part? If so, a simple solution could be for them to include an extra one or two with the unit at purchase, or give you the option at checkout to purchase extra springs.

7. rbbeers

I don't know if it's intended to be, but it seems simple enough to me. :)

I agree. Unfortunately, the downside is that they may be 'advertising' a reliability issue that they'd rather not advertise.

My current tact is to test the replacement unit to failure to better understand how quickly they may fail... one failure really doesn't mean much and I have no knowledge of any other failures.

If the MTBF seems 'too short', I'll pursue a quantity of replacement springs that I can install myself instead of continually sending the magazine back to them for repair.

I really like the DryFireMag and will find a way to keep it functional (I hope). :rolleyes: :D

Best regards,

Bob

Southlake and Danzig like this.
  8. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Soon Bob will be selling a replacement spring.

9. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the DryFireMag would work on AR9s and Carbines that use Glock magazines.

10. rbbeers

No.

The DryFireMag is driven by the vertical extension of the trigger bar.

Best regards,

Bob

j102 and Danzig like this.
  11. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

rbbeers likes this.
  12. rbbeers

The replacement DryFireMag arrived... testing has commenced.

Stay tuned... :)

Best regards,

Bob

Danzig and Southlake like this.
  13. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  14. I've been using the Mantis X since February of this year and love it. Although it occasionally misses trigger pulls (both dry fire and live fire), I believe it's really helped me improve my skills. I'm also pleased that the company regularly pushes software updates to improve the algorithms. I've gone so fare to purchase the magazine adapters for both my G19 and my Shield. They allow me to use the Mantis for holster draws.

RevV likes this.
  15. rbbeers

The 'clicker' leaf spring in the replacement DryFireMag failed (split) at about 10,000 trigger presses (red arrow below).

DryFireMag 4b.jpg

I've started a third 'test to failure' with yet another DryFireMag... but, after the early failures of the previous magazines, I'm less than hopeful for 'good' results. :(

At this point, my recommendation is to 'stay clear' of DryFireMag.

Stay tuned... :)

Best regards,

Bob

RevV, Danzig, Gunwale and 1 other person like this.
  16. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob!
    Hopefully they figure it out soon.

rbbeers likes this.
  17. This is very disappointing news. Thanks for testing the product. Please let us know what happens with test #3.

rbbeers likes this.
  18. rbbeers

The 'clicker' leaf spring in the third DryFireMag failed (split) at about 12,000 trigger presses (red arrow below).

DryFireMag 5b.jpg

No more testing. :mad:

My final recommendation is to avoid DryFireMag.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Southlake and Greywood like this.
  19. Bummer!

20. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

Thanks for testing it and letting us know Bob!

rbbeers likes this.