Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always taught to never dry fire any weapon but sometimes parents say things you know.....

I want to practice trigger pull and feel. Is it really harmful to dry fire the Glolck 17?

Thanks, Ryan

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Best thing to do is to get a snap cap or have someone press a bullet into a spent round.

D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glock says it is ok to dry fire all you want, but..I will not without the use of a snap cap. Azoom snap caps work great..and you get to practice loading up mags, as well as FTF drills (slap-rack, etc.). To dry fire just pull the trigger with snap cap in place, then pull back the slide just enough to reset trigger without ejecting the snap cap round, and pull trigger again. Is much better on the striker and firing pin which actually strikes something rather than having nothing there to stop the inertia of the firing pin. But, you can do either..your choice.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
The short answer, no, it is absolutely NOT harmful in a Glock.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Dry fire all you want. You won't harm your gun and all you'll do is make yourself a better shooter.

·
Registered
656 Posts
When I took the Armorer's course the Instructor never said anything about dry fire harming a Glock. In fact we dry fired the training guns (working G19's) a bunch through the day. The only thing he mentioned that could slowly wear down metal was using the "slide Stop" as a slide release.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Come on We "Dry Fire The Glock EVERY TIME we break it down! No Dry firing will not hurt the Gun. I am pretty sure your parents were talking about your .22 rifle! Buy some snap caps if it makes you feel good but it is not necessary! Dry Firing (Snapping in) is the best way to get to know your trigger. I have a G21 that always sits next to me at the couch and I dry fire it every day! Hundreds of times in a week for what is now 21 yrs. Never had a problem out of it!

·
Banned
4,604 Posts
Dry fire your glock until you have joint failure in your finger......then sell the gun to me because it will still be okay.

·
Cock The Glock
58 Posts
Dry firing is harmful for mainly shotguns and rifles. Handguns, especially glocks.. I wouldnt really find it an issue.. I have dry fired mine quite a bit.. no problems

·
Registered
205 Posts
40calGlock22 said:
Dry firing is harmful for mainly shotguns and rifles. Handguns, especially glocks.. I wouldnt really find it an issue.. I have dry fired mine quite a bit.. no problems
What a complicated answer u got there bro. Just straight to the point "no problems"!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Could you explain this? My Experience and I would say pretty extensive training I have never heard this. Dry Firing is OK on ALL Center fire Firearms as far as I know or have heard tell. But I am willing to learn something new if you can site something I can look at!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Go here for an in depth look at the do's and don'ts of dry firing..Like it says: Will a modern firearm hold up to it? Sure, modern metallurgy has enabled engineers to produce much stronger steel, virtually eliminating problems from dry firing centerfire rifles and pistols. But they’re not designed to, so why risk it? Snap caps and various other designs of dummy ammunition allow you to fire nearly any weapon without risk of damage to your firing pin, or any other part of the firearm. Here is a link:http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=2784

1 - 20 of 23 Posts