Dry fires

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by whitemeat880, Jan 22, 2012.

1. whitemeat880

whitemeat880 New Member

Do not carry my glock with one in the chamber. To ensure this every time i pick up my glock I eject the magazine and cock the gun looking and reassuring that the chamber is empty. I do not like the trigger ready to fire either so I dry fire and then replace the full magazine. Will the dry fires damage my pistol in any way?

2. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

3. no harm what so ever on Glocks. dry fire mine all the time. Now my XDM on the other hand......already replaced two pins.

4. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Dry fire mine all the time, if it hasn't messed up yet, it ain't gonna.

5. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Had an 8-shot, german made .22 revolver back in the 70's. The firing pin was part of the hammer. It snapped off dry firing.

6. Do you know why the XDm can't handle it? (I'm not as familiar with Springfields and I'm just curious.)

As for the Glocks, I do dry fire practice with both of mine all the time and it doesn't cause any issues.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  7. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

I got this info from the XDM forum.

as a SA certified armorer, dry firing the xd is fine and does dot harm it at all. The striker is held in place with a roll pin, which distribute the little bit of shock, within the pin channel. There is also a spring in front, which prevents hard impact against the breach surface. I will say, if you install and extra power striker/firing pin spring, you may want to find an extra power dampening spring as well. To remove the striker/firing pin spring, you need a roll pin punch, and punch from bottom to top. It is a solid single piece striker/firing pin, with a dampening spring in front. Sure dry firing will wear that spring more than using snap caps, however that spring is rated the same as the striker in terms of replacement interval, and is recommended for gunsmith replacement, but only because the striker is held in place with the roll pin, and when sent in for repairs they declare a warranty void if they find dings from amateur gunsmithing. However if you ever replace or removed your own... DO NOT fully remove the roll pin or you need to replace it with a new one. the hole tapers very slightly as well... so do not remove it completely. just enough to remove the striker...

8. Yes, it's by design. The striker retaining roll pin is struck by the striker every time. I'm trying to find an online break down of it to post. You would plainly understand if you saw the break down. I knew about it prior to buying. After purchase I bought 12 spares because I know my habit of dry firing.

Until I find a breakdown here's a pic. The retaining pin is the hollow part in the center of the pic. It's a very common thing on the XDM's.....kinda sux

[​IMG]

9. 50,000 rounds and god knows proably more dry fires. They can't hurt it.

10. TxShooter

TxShooter Administrator Staff Member

No harm. In fact a lot of instructors will advocate it to practice trigger control.

11. From owning one and two friends that have them that have also broken the pins in completely stock weapons I call BS! My first one broke with in a week of dry firing w/o snap caps. Just sayin'

EDIT: Also i completely remove mine on a regular basis and don't replace it unless it's broken when I take it out. When you do have to replace with a new one it is stiff from the hole being tapered. You have to knock them out from the bottom up because of it. If you knock it top down you will be in a world of hate.

16,000 hits from one search...... https://www.google.com/search?sourc...743l42l42l6l23l22l0l547l2742l4.4.2.2.0.1l13l0

:cool:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  12. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Also 1911s shouldnt be dry fired.

13. The Boar Buster

The Boar Buster New Member

I dry fired my 30 sf over 100 times before I left the store. I have done this with every Glock I own. If one does ever fail because of dry firing I guess I will have to find a more reliable pistol:confused: I was told by a Glock armorer that it was ok.

14. Tell that to the Kimber. Gets done all the time.;)

15. HA! I do that also on newly purchased Glocks. One store kind of trips on me because I "trigger shop" as they call it. Every trigger is different even on the same brands/models. I look for a certain feel.

16. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Thats what ive came across all the time online and from people.

17. The Boar Buster

The Boar Buster New Member

Boy are they differant. I had three 30sf glocks to choose from and they all felt differant.

18. G18

G18 New Member

Boar buster send me a bigger pic of that boar u busted G/18

19. carlspeed

carlspeed New Member

Dry firing, whether it hurts the gun or not (not, IMO) should be done regardless. It is a mandatory part of practicing firearm safety, and target acquisition from a holstered weapon position.

OP: You should be carrying a round in your firearm. There are hundreds of thousands of posts/websites/and articles proving that fact.