Dry Fire

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by seanschofield, Jan 31, 2012.

1. seanschofield

seanschofield New Member

Hey, can I get any opinions about dry fire with Glocks? Is it safe like they say or should I get snap caps? Makes me a little nervous doing it without snap caps but I hear I shouldn't be. Any opinions?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Dry Fire is definitely not a problem with Glocks...

3. we just debated this for days about a week ago, u won't hurt it at all there is no hammer etc etc

4. rubikees

rubikees New Member

After every senario in IDPA, you have to dry fire your firearm. In all of the time I have been involved I have not heard of any issues in dryfiring. Some of the guys even practice draing and dry firing there firearm, many times.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I do believe dry firing is not recommended with rimfire firearms without some sort of snapcap or other device to take the hit.

6. seanschofield

seanschofield New Member

Ok cool thanks. Sorry I was searching for any other threads on this but must have missed it. Thanks for the response everyone!

7. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

x2 on it not being a problem.

8. Like the rest have said, its not a problem. I all ways drop mag and slide the slide back to make sure the camber is clear, then dry fire. An I do this at least twice a day.

It all so helps you practice with your trigger pull.

9. dry fire it a million times. It won't hurt it

10. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

From the horses mouth sort of to speak, "If someone embarks on a regular, extensive dry firing regimen and continues for a long time………. Then I would suggest using some type of ‘snap caps’ as a precaution."

Something like dry firing everyday hundreds of times a day.

11. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Actually yes it may.

12. ross4712

ross4712 New Member

Stick with dry firing. I do it about 80% of the time to 20% actual range time. I instruct all the time so my actual bullets down range time is small.

If you are gonna dry fire extensively like I do then get a set of snap caps. My TL punched a hole through the breech face of his Glock just from dry firing. Glock replaced it no charge but after that incident we use snap caps.

13. ross4712

ross4712 New Member

And to add to the above we use only stock Glock parts in our weapons. No mods at all. We dry fire a lot and encourage it in our other officers and swat guys. It's the only time it has ever happened. It was in a Gen 3 G21.

14. ross4712

ross4712 New Member

To add to the above reply, we only use stock Glock parts in our weapons. No modded parts or aftermarket parts. We encourage dry firing to all our officers and swat guys. It has only happened once and it was a Gen 3 G21. Probably 100k dry fires or better prior to this happening. Dino, my former TL, dry fires everyday. 30 minutes a day.

15. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

For most rimfires, this is true. The firing pin on most rimfire guns is free to slam forward into the rim surface of the chamber, peening the rim and/or the pin. Peen the rim, you need a new barrel/chamber.

On a centerfire weapon, the impact that stops the firing pin is on a much broader and less critical part of both the firing pin and the gun.

How about this: You would be able to tell the difference between a "virgin" gun, and one that had been dry-fired 10,000 times. Both would (probably) function just fine; the trigger on the used gun would probably be smoother than the new-in-box gun, but would definitely show signs of wear.

16. hammerfest05

hammerfest05 New Member

So if I dry fire a million times with snap caps there will be less damage than without...........ok.
    I'll take my chances.