Glock Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shoot the Dot Torture drill every time I get range time. Sometimes it's the only drill I have time for, other times it's just part of my drill set.
There's a particular area that has been giving me problems for a LONG time. If you're not familiar with the drill, I'll try to describe the problem I'm having.
The drill is designed to work several fundamental skills using only 50 rounds. It's an untimed skill, so you can take all day if you want (but of course, that would be kind of ridiculous).
There are two areas of the drill where you're supposed to 1) Draw, 2) Shoot one of the dots, then transition to the next dot to the right and shoot again, and 3) Reholster.
Specifically, on the 3 & 4 dots, you draw, put ONE shot on the 3, then put ONE shot on the 4, and then reholster. Do that for a total of 4 times.
Also, on the 6 & 7 dots, you draw, put TWO shots on the 6, then put TWO shots on the 7, and then reholster. Do that for a total of 4 times.

My problem is that for some reason, I don't have a problem hitting inside the first dot (the 3 or the 6), but on the second dot (the 4 or the 7) I'll throw a shot low. Not low-left, not low-right, but just low - sometime like 2 inches or so low!

This hasn't happened once or twice, but OFTEN. Maybe not every time, but enough for me to know it's a pattern. There must be a reason.

Here's my last session from yesterday. I always circle the holes that missed where I was going for, and draw a line to wherever it belonged.
You can see where one hit landed below the 4, and another landed below the 7. You can see I threw one of the shots for 6 a little low too.

I know you more experienced guys can't watch my grip & trigger press, but can you offer anything constructive?
Thanks in advance.
PS.... I just noticed I forgot to mark my score - I missed 3, so I got a 47.
Product Mammal Font Circle Poster

Reactions: Danzig

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
See if I am tracking correctly. On the draw shots you are not having issues. The transition shots is where you are struggling?

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See if I am tracking correctly. On the draw shots you are not having issues. The transition shots is where you are struggling?
Hey Silver, thanks for responding. Yes, you're correct. The draw shots I don't really have a problem, whether they're two-handed grip or either weak or strong hand-only. The last set (9 & 10, which involve a speed reload between the 9 & 10) aren't giving me any grief. It's specifically the shots where I draw, put a shot (or two) on one dot, and then shift my focus and point of aim to the NEXT dot. Those are the shots that are giving me grief. It's usually the second dot - the the dot I transition to - where I get one low hit. In other words, I do okay on the first dot (the 3 or the 9) but the followup dot (the 4 or the 10 is where I end up delivering one (sometimes two) low hits.
Not sure if I'm making myself clear - I might not be.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gun actually has to come to a stop in transitions, but a quick stop.
That’s true, but since the drill is meant to be untimed I tend to transition quickly but take my time lining up my shots on the second dot. I’ll be equally slow and precise with my aim on both the first and second dots. I suspect my problem comes from emotionality creeping in… wanting to nail the second dot. Maybe I need to pick up my speed throughout the drill.
For now, I’m still annoyed at myself.

Reactions: Danzig

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Drills only have meaning if they are timed. I would run that from the low ready, otherwise do the USPSA El Prez for transitions.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Hey Silver, thanks for responding. Yes, you're correct. The draw shots I don't really have a problem, whether they're two-handed grip or either weak or strong hand-only. The last set (9 & 10, which involve a speed reload between the 9 & 10) aren't giving me any grief. It's specifically the shots where I draw, put a shot (or two) on one dot, and then shift my focus and point of aim to the NEXT dot. Those are the shots that are giving me grief. It's usually the second dot - the the dot I transition to - where I get one low hit. In other words, I do okay on the first dot (the 3 or the 9) but the followup dot (the 4 or the 10 is where I end up delivering one (sometimes two) low hits.
Not sure if I'm making myself clear - I might not be.
Any ideas?
Are you leading with your eyes to the next target/dot or keeping your focus on the sights? It is better to lead with your eyes and reacquire the sight picture than to track the sights to the target. It is a very small difference but it can make a difference. Of course none of this makes a difference if your grip is not solid or if your trigger press is not smooth. Make sure that you are not breaking your grip as you transition to the new target/dot. Lead with your eyes, the gun will follow.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you leading with your eyes to the next target/dot or keeping your focus on the sights? It is better to lead with your eyes and reacquire the sight picture than to track the sights to the target. It is a very small difference but it can make a difference. Of course none of this makes a difference if your grip is not solid or if your trigger press is not smooth. Make sure that you are not breaking your grip as you transition to the new target/dot. Lead with your eyes, the gun will follow.
To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm leading with my eyes or not. I don't think I ever thought about it. Next range visit, I'll consciously address that. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Your shots don't look like an eye tracking issue because typically the holes would be further left or right, depending on which way you are swinging. Since these rounds are high/low, I think the stop is too long. Pull the trigger faster. Remember, it's not breathe and squeeze, it's grip it and rip it. Learn how to jerk the trigger without moving the gun.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your shots don't look like an eye tracking issue because typically the holes would be further left or right, depending on which way you are swinging. Since these rounds are high/low, I think the stop is too long. Pull the trigger faster. Remember, it's not breathe and squeeze, it's grip it and rip it. Learn how to jerk the trigger without moving the gun.
I think you're on to something. I tend to shoot like a sniper. I've always noticed that when I quit thinking and just go for it, I usually surprise myself with some good results.
Thanks, Six. BTW, your suggestions for a larger dot is working well for me. As discussed elsewhere, I'm currently running a Holosun HE407K-GR X2 on my G19.5MOS, and I just ordered another one for my G17.5MOS. I need a green dot because the red appears distorted to my astigmatic eyes, and the 6 MOA dot is faster than a 3 or 3.25 MOA. At $234 it meets my needs just fine.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you are shooting a dot, keep both eyes open. You are not really looking through the lens. Remember that the dot is a hologram. Practice during dry fire with both eyes open. Move your eyes to the target and then the dot to your eyes. Initially it will take a little practice. A few dry fire sessions and it will become natural. If you have been previously shooting your dot with one eye closed you may have to adjust your site in when using both eyes open.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts